Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-07-02, 16:23)supafly Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I'm also interested in purchasing a NUC to use with XBMC on Windows 7.

My only intention of using the NUC is for playing SD & HD content from an attached hard drive.
The content has been encoded with Handbrake, so it isn't a full rip of a bluray disc (biggest files are ~10 GB).

I don't plan on using it for much else - perhaps Netflix down the road.

How much Ram is needed for this? 2 gb? 4 gb?
Also, I'm leaning towards a 64gb SSD as I am looking at putting Windows 7 on it.

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

How far down the road is Netflix?

You could always install Openelec until then if you really are only playing files from your hard drive. For Openelec you just need 2 GB ram and a decent flash drive (or any size mSata SSD).

For Windows I recommend 4 GB ram and a 40+ GB SSD (so 60 or 64 GB).
(2013-07-02, 16:45)cwide Wrote: [ -> ]

My only intention of using the NUC is for playing SD & HD content from an attached hard drive.
The content has been encoded with Handbrake, so it isn't a full rip of a bluray disc (biggest files are ~10 GB).

Also, I'm leaning towards a 64gb SSD as I am looking at putting Windows 7 on it.

Thanks!

You could always install Openelec until then if you really are only playing files from your hard drive. For Openelec you just need 2 GB ram and a decent flash drive (or any size mSata SSD).

I'm on the fence about Netflix - it doesn't have a great selection in Canada (IMO).
Would you recommend the Celeron Model or i3 with your above RAM/SSD recommendations?
(2013-07-02, 17:11)supafly Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-02, 16:45)cwide Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks!

I'm on the fence about Netflix - it doesn't have a great selection in Canada (IMO).
Would you recommend the Celeron Model or i3 with your above RAM/SSD recommendations?

For your requirements the Celeron version will be just fine... especially if you decide to install Openelec. Should also be fine for Windows.
Im on the fence about his ,So Please just to confirm , Celeron nuc in windows will work quickly and smoothly with heavy skins 1080p ~10 GB mkv and Netflix, Sky player (UK/IRL)
(2013-07-02, 18:25)popey32 Wrote: [ -> ]Im on the fence about his ,So Please just to confirm , Celeron nuc in windows will work quickly and smoothly with heavy skins 1080p ~10 GB mkv and Netflix, Sky player (UK/IRL)

Just make sure you get a SSD for the skins. I have ready people are using heavy skins with the celeron and it's smooth. I have also read that Netflix HD works, but uses 90-95% of the CPU to do it.
Hello all....I just want to thank you all for your information. Took me a couple days but finally made it through 118 pages of the thread. After everything I read, the good AND the bad I was definitely convinced to buy the i3 version of the NUC. I had it in my cart with RAM and ssd when I thought I'd take a day to "cool off" before I made any rash purchases. Smile Really looking forward to playing around with such a small form factor HTPC..but I just moved and won't have serious time to dedicate to it anyways for at least a couple weeks.

Anyways, started reading about the brix and, for nearly the same price (~$300 USD), I'm wondering if I should go that route. I know it hasn't been around long enough to get the reviews out yet, but wondering if anyone here has pitted NUC vs BRIX in Celeron vs. Celeron, or i3 vs. i3?

I don't believe that new is always better, but in this case it would seem that with the addition of USB 3.0 and wireless (mildly useful), as well as a bloody power cable is causing me to consider becoming an early adopter.
Hi!

I just bought a i3 Nuc and I'm doing the setup now (PXE boot on a ISCSI target on my Synology), but here come the question.
Which build of OpenElec should I use ? The Intel builds I suppose, but i386 or x86_64 ?

I cannot wait to use it !

Thanks
(2013-07-02, 18:30)cwide Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-02, 18:25)popey32 Wrote: [ -> ]Im on the fence about his ,So Please just to confirm , Celeron nuc in windows will work quickly and smoothly with heavy skins 1080p ~10 GB mkv and Netflix, Sky player (UK/IRL)

Just make sure you get a SSD for the skins. I have ready people are using heavy skins with the celeron and it's smooth. I have also read that Netflix HD works, but uses 90-95% of the CPU to do it.

Thanks man, thats all I need to know. For UK and IRL users theres a good deal on pixmania , € 159,90 + €1 for 4GB RAM, you can also pick up a CRUCIAL mSATA m4 - Solid state drive - 32 GB for € 50,31 = €211.31 +9.99 delivery
best deal ive seen so far
(2013-07-02, 21:58)popey32 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-02, 18:30)cwide Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks man, thats all I need to know. For UK and IRL users theres a good deal on pixmania , € 159,90 + €1 for 4GB RAM, you can also pick up a CRUCIAL mSATA m4 - Solid state drive - 32 GB for € 50,31 = €211.31 +9.99 delivery
best deal ive seen so far

I dont know if this helps you:

http://www.ebuyer.com/447255-mb-boxdccp8...dccp847dye
(2013-06-30, 13:21)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-28, 21:57)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Running Celeron NUC with openelec.

If I try to watch 1080p content from server. I get buffering every 30 seconds.

This is all network wired. Plus the server is gigabit!

Run it off me old revo 3700 is perfect!

What am I doing wrong?

Try the other HDMI port, if you have the dual HDMI one . I had the same problem with my i3 NUC. Switching ports solved it for me.

Didn't solve it for me Sad

But a gigabit switch did!!!!!!
I just upgraded from the i3 NUC to the i5 NUC. The i5 version of the NUC has only one HDMI. The i5 version of the NUC also had constant network dropouts. After extensive debugging by changing resolutions, reinstalling windows. tying out windows 8. I got it RMA'd and the new unit does not drop the network connections. I feel there is a batch that is plagued with this issue. but that is just my thought,.
so you said gigabit wired already, but did it turn out you only had a 100mbps switch in there?!
(2013-07-03, 19:27)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-30, 13:21)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-28, 21:57)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Running Celeron NUC with openelec.

If I try to watch 1080p content from server. I get buffering every 30 seconds.

This is all network wired. Plus the server is gigabit!

Run it off me old revo 3700 is perfect!

What am I doing wrong?

Try the other HDMI port, if you have the dual HDMI one . I had the same problem with my i3 NUC. Switching ports solved it for me.

Didn't solve it for me Sad

But a gigabit switch did!!!!!!
I upgraded to fibre 2 weeks ago. This came with a new router. New router has one gigabit port. The server was on that whilst the rest was on the 10/100 ports.

The previous router [all 10/100 ports] had the server and media player all wired. Never had a problem with streaming HD. Could even do 2 streams at the same time no issue!

But this new router obviously couldn't cope with sending from gigabit to 10/100!

Cured now. Full on/off capability and instant streaming. Love the NUC!
(2013-07-04, 08:01)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]I upgraded to fibre 2 weeks ago. This came with a new router. New router has one gigabit port. The server was on that whilst the rest was on the 10/100 ports.

The previous router [all 10/100 ports] had the server and media player all wired. Never had a problem with streaming HD. Could even do 2 streams at the same time no issue!

But this new router obviously couldn't cope with sending from gigabit to 10/100!

Cured now. Full on/off capability and instant streaming. Love the NUC!

It look like a problem with the speed/duplex negotiation, I saw quite often a bad negotiation between switch and the network card. For example one side will be set to 100mb/s full duplex, and the other 100mb/s half duplex.. The result is a lot of lost packets on the network. Normally 1gb/s negotiation works better because it is always full duplex (1gb/s half duplex doesn't exist...)

One solution could be (if the switch allows it) to change the aoto negotiation and set both side to 100mb/s full
I've meddled enough bud!

Its back to full working order!