Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-08-18, 19:38)Bmul Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-18, 18:10)cadetdrivr Wrote: [ -> ]And if you wisely upgrade your receiver, you won't even need to use any other device as many current receivers will directly play music via a home network.

Thank you for pointing that out!

I am looking at the Onkyo, Marantz and Denon receivers now, They support Spotify.

5.1 channel is the best way to go for my living room.

Do you have more wise tips Big Grin
Nothing specific. I'm thrilled with my current Yamaha receiver that plays very nice with the NUC and has an awesome app (iOS/Android) that allows complete control of the AVR including selecting and playing music stored on my home server. I'm sure most other manufacturers offer similar capabilities.
I am looking at the Onkyo TX-NR525 receiver
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Onkyo%20TX-NR525

And the Harman Kardon HKTS 16
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Harman+Kardon+HKTS+16+

€ 700, - total

It will be the cherry on the pudding!
Audio quality can get pretty subjective but for music I vote for Marantz. They sound fantastic compared to others I have own (Denon, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha) and they just release their now models not to long ago. One thing they do that is really hand is HDMI pass through so when they are in standby they will send the HDMI input through to the output. I use this alot since sometimes I like to watch TV without the receive on using the TV's speakers. I am use other manufactures have added it but its a good feature to look out for.

Oh, and just so the thread hijacking police down arrest me Smile: I have my marantz's connect to my NUC behind a 4x4 switch. Works fine except I have to reboot the NUC if I switch from using the TV (stereo) to the receiver (HD Audio) but I think that is more of an issue with the OS or the NUC then the receiver.

Ernie
(2013-08-15, 17:25)mrstarface Wrote: [ -> ]I finally have my Celero NUC setup properly all running openelec and controlled with my Harmony Remote via Flirc.

I realise I cant switch the NUC off with my remote so planned to leave it on most of the time apart from when away for a few days but when I switch to watching TV/BluRay or turn everything off and then back on again I cant get a picture from the NUC unless I switch it off and then on again. Am guessing it something to do with the HDMI handshake maybe?

Anyone have an idea of how I can get round this?

This may be of some help. It is for a nvidia card, but the principle of forcing an edid can be used with an extracted edid. I think there is another forum post knocking around related to this but I can't find it at present. Some googling will probably turn it up Smile

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...DID_nvidia
(2013-08-19, 13:47)nikc0069 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-15, 17:25)mrstarface Wrote: [ -> ]I finally have my Celero NUC setup properly all running openelec and controlled with my Harmony Remote via Flirc.

I realise I cant switch the NUC off with my remote so planned to leave it on most of the time apart from when away for a few days but when I switch to watching TV/BluRay or turn everything off and then back on again I cant get a picture from the NUC unless I switch it off and then on again. Am guessing it something to do with the HDMI handshake maybe?

This may be of some help. It is for a nvidia card, but the principle of forcing an edid can be used with an extracted edid. I think there is another forum post knocking around related to this but I can't find it at present. Some googling will probably turn it up Smile

Thanks very much, looks pretty hardcore but will read through and see if I can give it a go.

I wonder if I change the order in which devices power on/off it would make any difference. Shame there isnt a simple USB type add on for the NUC that would enable powering on and off!
(2013-08-19, 14:34)mrstarface Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-19, 13:47)nikc0069 Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks very much, looks pretty hardcore but will read through and see if I can give it a go.

I wonder if I change the order in which devices power on/off it would make any difference. Shame there isnt a simple USB type add on for the NUC that would enable powering on and off!

Tweaking the power on/off order may work, but only if you are also suspending the NUC. If you setup the NUC power on and power off commands in the harmony remote to be the S3 Sleep/Resume command (on windows this is possible, i assume also on openElec it must be). Then if you tweak the device order so that the NUC shuts down first and powers up last then in theory it goes to sleep when there is a full HDMI connection, and when it wakes up that full connection is again present, so it might help things. If you only change the order of the other devices but leave the NUC on the whole time, I dont think that would help as the NUC is still going to "see" things disapear and reappear. I guess it could be worth a go though, eg make sure TV is on first then receiver, so when the NUC reconnects to the AVR, the display is already connected to the AVR
Sod that! Fit simerec!!!! :p
Quote:Tweaking the power on/off order may work, but only if you are also suspending the NUC. If you setup the NUC power on and power off commands in the harmony remote to be the S3 Sleep/Resume command (on windows this is possible, i assume also on openElec it must be). Then if you tweak the device order so that the NUC shuts down first and powers up last then in theory it goes to sleep when there is a full HDMI connection, and when it wakes up that full connection is again present, so it might help things. If you only change the order of the other devices but leave the NUC on the whole time, I dont think that would help as the NUC is still going to "see" things disapear and reappear. I guess it could be worth a go though, eg make sure TV is on first then receiver, so when the NUC reconnects to the AVR, the display is already connected to the AVR

Thats exactly what my setup does. The NUC goes into S3 (sleep) so it can be awaken via USB but the remote tells it do it it LAST. If the AVR or display is a little slower to boot, see if the remote has the option to program a delay before waking the NUC.

Quote:Shame there isnt a simple USB type add on for the NUC that would enable powering on and off!

There in lies the problem. The NUC does not support turning on from USB, only wake.

Another option to consider is program a remote button to fire a REBOOT command when you are powering things up. You can do it via either XBMC in its power settings or you can even program it with irexec from lirc - a bit more work but really handy when XBMC locks up or crashes as it is done by the OS. This way after your devices are turned on it does a warm boot which should resync the edid. If you are using WIndows then Eventghost should be able to handle it.

Like jammyb said, simerec is probably the most solid option - nothing like a true power "button" so to speak Smile

Ernie
Hi All,

I'm hoping to abandon my Netgear NTV550 and move to XBMC (openelec) with an Intel NUC

I will wait for the Haswell versions, from reading here i think they are due out end of Sept.
I'm thinking of the i5 version, do you think once h.265 comes more popular the haswell i5 would decode these seemlessly, i hear they are quite CPU intensive. I want to future proof this as much as possible.

Does anyone know if XBMC now supports full blu ray menus? When i search online all the posts are old.

I have about 1000 movies / tv shows stored on my Synology 413 NAS made up of h.264, VC1 - MKVs, WMVs, mp4, avi, and BD ISOs and BD folders with DTS-HD and True HD sound. I presume these should all play OK?

With the haswell NUC, i believe it comes with a built in IR, should this work out of box with my harmony one remote?

Thanks,
Ciaran
(2013-08-19, 17:00)ciaran75 Wrote: [ -> ]I will wait for the Haswell versions, from reading here i think they are due out end of Sept.
I'm thinking of the i5 version, do you think once h.265 comes more popular the haswell i5 would decode these seemlessly, i hear they are quite CPU intensive. I want to future proof this as much as possible.

With the haswell NUC, i believe it comes with a built in IR, should this work out of box with my harmony one remote?

Thanks,
Ciaran

We'll see when they come out what their capabilities can do. I'll be shocked if they don't do remote power up lol.
Hi there,
I would like to know which NUC is able to deal with:
XBMC + AEON NOX 4
DVD folders
BD ISO
And 3D BD ISO

Based on that usage which SSD and RAM do i need to put in it?
30Go of SSD and 4Go of RAM is enough? Knowing that all files are on my NAS and it will only be used for XBMC usage?

Thank you in advance for your advice
You are pretty describing how I use my NUC except I am not really into the 3D stuff. I am running the i3 nuc but could probably get away with the celeron - I just prefer the extra umph in case I need it. For 3D, it may not be a bad choice as well.

I am running 8 gb or ram although 4 would probably be enough - the price difference was small so I figured why not. For the SSD, 32 gb is plenty if you are running a linux OS like ubuntu or OpenELEC but if you want to go with Windows I would get at least 64 GB.

Ernie
thanks aesalazar!
i'm not already dealing with 3D BD movies but i would prefer taking this into account in case of.
and you are using AEON NOX 4 without any lag?
and iso files are handled easily?
i was previously using a Popcorn C200 which was able to deal with everything but was missing the user interface,
then i switch to the raspberry pi which is dealing (with lags) the XBMC+AEON theme but is not able to manage all king of video format,
so i'll looking for the best solution with XBMC which is TOO AMAZING.
(I read that the apple TV 1st gen was also a good choice specially for the price (less 100€ with the Cristal HD card), but i did not find answer about the performances with AEON and multiple video format support...)
(2013-08-20, 13:16)aesalazar Wrote: [ -> ]I am running 8 gb or ram although 4 would probably be enough - the price difference was small so I figured why not. For the SSD, 32 gb is plenty if you are running a linux OS like ubuntu or OpenELEC but if you want to go with Windows I would get at least 64 GB.
A couple additional points about OpenELEC/XBMC compared to Windows....

1) OpenELEC does not need much memory. I have 2x2GB installed and even that is apparently overkill---I've never seen the system info within XBMC show less than 3GB available, even during BD playback and with the GPU memory set to 512MB within BIOS. I'm not sure if having two sticks for dual channel is a noticeable advantage or not.

2) OpenELEC also essentially runs in RAM once it is loaded, thus a SSD is not even required. Many of us are using small USB thumb drives as the system disk and with such a small footprint it still boots quickly from the drive.

3) FWIW, the Celeron NUC runs OpenELEC/XBMC (w/ Aeon Nux) quite smoothly and the CPU usage is around 15% during HD streaming from a NAS (1080p w/ HD Audio)

BUT....I also strongly agree with the suggestions of getting a faster CPU, a SSD, and lots of memory if one plans to run Windows.

Smile
arokh: Can you please provide some info on what you choose when installing for archboot considering you did a UEFI install?

Gummiboot, refind, grub-efi?