Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-03-20, 02:42)atandon Wrote: [ -> ]Weird. Extra memory and the BIOS setting didnt make a difference
With logs enabled I see the CPU spike around the time the artifacts show up
This is with acceleration turned on in xbmc

drowning, how easy is it to install the ubuntu version?
In addition to preparing the bootable usb stick, I believe i need to install some drivers too, correct
Can u post instructions. Thanks

Honestly, it was a PITA. I just plowed through it with Nerd Power. Now that OpenELEC doesn't crush black I'm using that. The black crush fix is easy, it's fast, and I didn't have to manually configure drivers in Linux.
Ok Smile
Will give that openelec version a try
BTW, any idea if there a plan to integrate the fix into the official distro anytime soon?
The author of the patch wanted to find a better method to implement the fix before it is incorporated into openELEC.
hey guys,
I've built a HTPC (first time) a couple of weeks ago using:
Intel NUC DC32171YE
128gb Crucial mSATA CT128M4SSD
8GB DDR3 1600mhz (Kingston) x 1 stick
Windows 7

I put a couple of demo's up on youtube for my brother if you want to have a look. Not expert video's keep in mind! Still, they can give you an idea of how it works with confluence and aeon nox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izbxOKNF6ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCdxNIPJXEM

I have a nas4free box connected via ethernet to a wireless modem/router which streams to my wireless ap (belkin extender) which is wired in to the nuc. I took this option to save $40 on a wireless card as i don't need it. I use an old keyboard/mouse with a blue tooth usb (tiny) if needed but generally control it through my android remote.

I used to use the free plex app on a samsung tv and since I've switched the sound/picture quality is so much better.

Since seeing mine, my brother has bought and set up his.

If you are looking for a good solution I can't highly recommend it enough. I love it.
Those vids convinced me a week or so ago to get one of these.

I went for the Celeron model though which is enough for my needs - have to say I'm more than impressed with it - running OpenElec - I've finally found my perfect box Blush
Glad to hear I helped with your choice! Like you I'm so glad I picked this up.
drowning ... i presume i need to add autostart.sh under /storage/.config, correct
Strange but I don't think my script is running on bootup. Put some debug code to confirm. To the openelec forums I go
Pls disregard my earlier post
The script is running
But the HDMI argument I was passing was wrong
I needed to pass HDMI1 and not HDMI2
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"

openelec just feels so much snappier. Linux is the boss

I think one of these days we should update the first post in this thread, detailing the common things to do while setting up xbmc over windows or openelec with NUC
(2013-03-21, 05:05)atandon Wrote: [ -> ]Pls disregard my earlier post
The script is running
But the HDMI argument I was passing was wrong
I needed to pass HDMI1 and not HDMI2
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"

openelec just feels so much snappier. Linux is the boss

I think one of these days we should update the first post in this thread, detailing the common things to do while setting up xbmc over windows or openelec with NUC

I know! So fast! And I'm not even using an SSD!

The command needs to be added to startup.sh, which I found a guide for in the wiki, or else it disappears on reboot.

The username is DrowningApe, but you can call me Max.
I ordered 2 i3 NUCs, just came in today. One died before I could even set up openelec. The other one I was able to install openelec. I'm running off USB, just installing addons and switching to aeon nox has my fan running constantly and my CPU temp steady at 176F. Is this normal? I haven't even played a video yet!
How did u check your temperature? I honestly haven't checked the temperature on mine. But from experience that seems high for a system in steady state
Hardware screen in openelec using aeon nox skin
(2013-03-21, 05:19)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]I know! So fast! And I'm not even using an SSD!

The command needs to be added to startup.sh, which I found a guide for in the wiki, or else it disappears on reboot.

The username is DrowningApe, but you can call me Max.

With a ssd it roars. Its ridiculous how quickly it boots up (faster than my ps3) Smile
CPU at 176 F isn't particularly high for a CPU. Running a video will actually use less CPU power, as that should be handled by the hardware video decoders.
Just checked my box. ssh'd and ran 'cputemp'
It returns 72 C which is approximately 160 F

72 does seem kinda high. But the box is not really that warm to the touch. So I wouldn't worry

[EDIT: Ned just posted it isn't that high. I'll take his word for it Smile ]