Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-12-25, 12:02)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]The i3 in the NUC should be able to handle those Hi10P videos. My core2duo mobile 2Ghz 2009 MacBook Pro can, and I'm fairly certain it ranks lower in benchmarks.

Yeah, it appears to play them back well enough, but the dropped frames are a sign it's struggling I think.
Looking into getting one of these boxes & trying to find a mSata SSD to go with it.

Before I buy, any recommendations? Is this a good drive/will it work?

Adata SSD

Thanks!
(2012-12-28, 18:57)harvdog13 Wrote: [ -> ]Looking into getting one of these boxes & trying to find a mSata SSD to go with it.

Before I buy, any recommendations? Is this a good drive/will it work?

Adata SSD

Thanks!

i got the muskin 120gb one. It works great. seems extremly fast.
(2012-12-17, 21:54)antisuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-17, 20:58)cbiggers Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-17, 20:51)antisuck Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all the testing cbiggers, much appreciated.

If you get a chance could you install a graphics-heavy skin and report back on whether navigation is smooth?

Tell me which skin you want me to install and where to get it. I'll do it. If you have multipls you want me to try let me know and post them

Thanks for this. I'm particularly curious about Aeon Nox, the Frodo version is still under development so unless you want to mess around with git you'd go here and click "ZIP" to download the most current version, then install from zip in your Addons menu.

This is the only custom skin I use so I'll leave it to others to suggest different ones to try.

edit: oops too slow, although the zip file I linked to might be an easier way to try it out quick unless you are familiar with git.

Works great, no lag etc. Seems to be a good skin. I have no issues with it at all. even with some additional graphics things I found inside of it.
(2012-12-26, 19:08)zyro Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-25, 12:02)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]The i3 in the NUC should be able to handle those Hi10P videos. My core2duo mobile 2Ghz 2009 MacBook Pro can, and I'm fairly certain it ranks lower in benchmarks.

Yeah, it appears to play them back well enough, but the dropped frames are a sign it's struggling I think.
Crap. Been looking for something to replace my Early 2009 MacMini (smaller, less power) for XBMC but 10p has always been an issue. Gotta love it when 12 year olds run the "scene".
For those interested in the power consumption - I put a kilowatt meter inline and did some measurements

- idol in BIOS = 15W
- idol in WIN7 = 11W
- idol in XBMC = 13W
- 1080p stress test (birds) = 18W
- odd time (during transitions from video to applications) 20W
I posted on here before about dropped frames on 1080p content on Intel NUC using xbmcbuntu. In case anyone reading this in the future and has similar problems, it turns out that Hardware acceleration Intel Driver (VAAPI) is not installed by default on xbmcbuntu. I got the answer from my other post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150322

Got to say now 1080p content works, i love my NUC :-). Using a 32gb Crucial m4 Msata drive, the thing boots in 5 seconds !!
I was going to test bitstreaming, but it seems my cheap Denon I bought is no longer excepting HDMI inputs. I'll order a new AVR and test when it comes in. I am still very happy with the NUC.
(2013-01-02, 14:56)cbiggers Wrote: [ -> ]I was going to test bitstreaming, but it seems my cheap Denon I bought is no longer excepting HDMI inputs. I'll order a new AVR and test when it comes in. I am still very happy with the NUC.

Hi
Glad your liking your Nuc. Can i ask, do you use an IR remote to wake your device from completely off S5 state and if you do does it just work or did you need to do something?

Cheers :-)
I use a XYBoard or whatever from Motorola is a RF remote. I haven't gotten it to power on from it. Maybe something I need to configure in the BIOS?
Anyone use this with Aeon MQ 4? Any lag or anything?
(2013-01-03, 20:58)rhmclay Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone use this with Aeon MQ 4? Any lag or anything?

Works fine, i do notice the fan spinning up when browsing through library but there is no lag or stuttering and the fan is fairly quiet anyway
(2013-01-02, 12:47)spamtomas Wrote: [ -> ]I posted on here before about dropped frames on 1080p content on Intel NUC using xbmcbuntu. In case anyone reading this in the future and has similar problems, it turns out that Hardware acceleration Intel Driver (VAAPI) is not installed by default on xbmcbuntu. I got the answer from my other post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150322

Got to say now 1080p content works, i love my NUC :-). Using a 32gb Crucial m4 Msata drive, the thing boots in 5 seconds !!

Thank you. Now I got VAAPI enabled. I'm guessing this will be fixed in Frodo RC3.
Other then that Frodo worked right out of the gate with NUC. At Idle, in Confluence, it was about 30% load on a clean install. Enabling dirtyregions and disabling RSS got me down to about 9% on idle and about 25% with VAAPI on video. (The same on Eden gave 1% load on idle but was missing some required audio drivers).
Adding a movie library on the other hand gave a big load increase to about 150%, as there seems to be a new default setting for dds image caching. I also think download actor thumbnails might have been on as default, but I don't know if that's new. This might av dropped down when it's finished, but it took ages, so I removed it and its back down.
Are most people running OpenElec, Linux or Windows on these little beasts? Mine should be here tomorrow & I'm trying to decide which way to go!
I run windows 8. I'm sure it runs fine with Linux but personally I think it runs great with Win8. It boots insanely fast and works without issues.
(2013-01-04, 01:12)cbiggers Wrote: [ -> ]I run windows 8. I'm sure it runs fine with Linux but personally I think it runs great with Win8. It boots insanely fast and works without issues.

Is anyone booting from USB instead of using mSata?

I've read of people running windows, linux and openelec from usb for the NUC, just wanted to see if anyone here has done it?

Jasp