Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-07-02, 19:39)natebetween Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all....I just want to thank you all for your information. Took me a couple days but finally made it through 118 pages of the thread. After everything I read, the good AND the bad I was definitely convinced to buy the i3 version of the NUC. I had it in my cart with RAM and ssd when I thought I'd take a day to "cool off" before I made any rash purchases. Smile Really looking forward to playing around with such a small form factor HTPC..but I just moved and won't have serious time to dedicate to it anyways for at least a couple weeks.

Anyways, started reading about the brix and, for nearly the same price (~$300 USD), I'm wondering if I should go that route. I know it hasn't been around long enough to get the reviews out yet, but wondering if anyone here has pitted NUC vs BRIX in Celeron vs. Celeron, or i3 vs. i3?

I don't believe that new is always better, but in this case it would seem that with the addition of USB 3.0 and wireless (mildly useful), as well as a bloody power cable is causing me to consider becoming an early adopter.

Nobody here comparing NUC to Brix?
Brix seems cool, but here in Norway it's got a higher pricetag than the latest NUC and does not offer vPro. USB3 on the back is a plus though.
Hi guys,

I got a Celeron NUC with 4GB RAM, running XBMC on Windows 8.

I've been noticing some artefacting when watching videos, it's brief, but annoying. Anyone else have any experience fixing this issue?
(2013-07-08, 00:10)FlammableD Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I've been noticing some artefacting when watching videos, it's brief, but annoying. Anyone else have any experience fixing this issue?

There may be dozens of references, you may have to read or search the thread.

I replaced windows 7 for OpenElec, because of the useless drivers for windows and their posterize effects. And on top of that the last 2 driver revisions don't work well with XBMC.
(2013-07-10, 10:49)MrBogus Wrote: [ -> ]

I replaced windows 7 for OpenElec, because of the useless drivers for windows and their posterize effects. And on top of that the last 2 driver revisions don't work well with XBMC.

That's a shame, I want Netflix, so I guess I'm stuck.
Has anyone tried the DC53427HYE i5 version yet?
Is it quiet?
I'm waiting for mine, coming in a few days. Will report back Smile
Anyone see a pre-order up for the Haswell Nuc yet? I am going to order one when they become available.
(2013-07-10, 13:54)FlammableD Wrote: [ -> ]

Just use the older drivers and that problem is solved? Intel knows now what the problem is and they will fix it but at this moment they can't say when the new drivers will be available. That won't take months I presume.

Edit: Beta drivers for Windows 8(.1); http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Rel...7506.shtml
Hey all.

I have the Intel i3 NUC, and last night I noticed some video "jerkiness" with Shawshank Redemption (1080p).
ie, the video just isn't as 'smooth' as I think it should be.

I'm not getting any dropped frames,... yet,....
Does anyone know what the Video rendering settings should be set at?, or maybe a link?
Software, Dxva, ... or ? acceleration?

thanks a bunch!
Legion

PS running Win8,12.1, aeon nox.
(2013-07-12, 20:10)p750mmx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-10, 13:54)FlammableD Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-10, 10:49)MrBogus Wrote: [ -> ]I replaced windows 7 for OpenElec, because of the useless drivers for windows and their posterize effects. And on top of that the last 2 driver revisions don't work well with XBMC.

Just use the older drivers and that problem is solved? Intel knows now what the problem is and they will fix it but at this moment they can't say when the new drivers will be available. That won't take months I presume.

Edit: Beta drivers for Windows 8(.1); http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Rel...7506.shtml

Thanks for the tip, how old do I need to go?

The main problem is that XBMC team is not focusing Windows stability because its simple borring to do. Its more fun to explore new platforms and so on. I and alot of other users will however continus to run XBMC on Windows as long as it works becouse Windows offers so much more flexibility (Like playing games, internet and so on).

This results in two things, we will be grading and recommending XBMC based on our experience within Windows and it is not the best at the moment as you know. And we will not make updates of XBMC as oftan becouse there is a big risk to run in to breaking changes.

I have been told that its impossible to make XBMC 100% stable on a Windows platform becouse of all kind of driver versions.
The number of XBMC Windows devs haven't gone down. We probably have more than when we didn't have Android. Very few devs work on just the new platforms. If anything, Windows is the best platform for XBMC right now because the audio stuff.

The issue in this case has far more to do with intel GPUs than OS. Even OpenELEC has issues on NUC GPUs.
Can I just chime in that my OE Celeron NUC [in my eyes, is running flawlessly]

No crushed blacks, no glitches in motion shots, hell, even modding internal IR's for on/off and remote control work perfectly.

I can't fault any of it. I praise XBMC and I praise OE.

Just get sky go working on it and I'll live happily ever after!