Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't think there is any working refresh rate switching in this update. I am not sure I can trust miboy's (Xiaomi forum, Reddit) words.
(2018-06-26, 10:38)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think there is any working refresh rate switching in this update. I am not sure I can trust miboy's (Xiaomi forum, Reddit) words.
 I'm beginning to believe the same

Edit:
Miboy's autoframe test  Confused
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/quic...fps.44624/

I can't trust Miboy
Mibox oreo, no auto refresh rate, no hw deinterlace, and the workaround that used to work on older builds, dont work anymore...
No feed back from KODI team about Oreo update ?
It's early yet, please wait a few days.

Oreo was published yesterday...
I'm testing, brief thoughts:

- easy to install the update.
- it smooth and fast - actually impressively fast for such a cheap ATV device. I still love the really responsive, reliable BT remote.
- I do like the cleaner looking more modern Oreo user interface.
- Google Assist works
- the underlying Linux Kernel is v4.9.54 - ie. a modern one (that was done mostly by Baylibre who were Kernel contractors for AMLogic)
- AMLogic Oreo - is Google Project Treble compliant, meaning Google OS updates into the future should come quicker and be much much easier for Android TV hardware sellers to implement.
- I suspect this is one reason why AMLogic S905X hardware was chosen as Google Android TV reference development hardware.
- MrMC is also now installable from the Playstore and runs well.
- handles all AC3, DTS and HD Audio Passthrough, inc. Atmos and up to 7.1 Multichannel LPCM in Kodi Krypton 17.6 & Leia
- 4K high bitrate Bluray Krypton video playback works well when used with a (Ugreen) USB3 > Gigabit LAN adapter
- 4K HDR > SDR conversion works reasonably well.
- Netflix still does 5.1 DD+ audio if HDMI connected to a DD+ capable audio reciever.

Not tested but I'm told works:
- 4K HDR Netflix
- seems Amazon Video can be Sideloaded and works, Amazon must have relaxed App restrictions recently.

Still broken:
- Kodi deinterlacing, it's still poor quality half motion.
- auto refresh switching (the Android settings HDMI Adaptation option does nothing)
- no auto resolution switching either.
- still no Netflix DD+ > DD audio downmixing available, even tho the Mi Box is Dolby Audio licensed.
- Oreo now has NO Quick Apps switcher like there was in Nougat Firmware, really liked that switching functionality.

Summary:
- if you do not care about auto refresh / resolution switching and do not need to used Kodi deinterlacing and PVR Addons, most mainstream users would be pretty satisfied this Oreo update especially for the price paid.
Oreo works surprisingly well with the excellent, responsive Mi Box remote.
(2018-06-26, 15:33)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm testing, brief thoughts:

- it smooth and fast - actually impressively fast for such a cheap ATV device. I still love the really responsive, reliable BT remote.
- Google Assist works
- the underlying Linux Kernel is v4.9.54 - ie. a modern one (that was done mostly by Baylibre who were Kernel contractors for AMLogic)
- AMLogic Oreo - is Google Project Treble compliant, meaning Google OS updates into the future will come quicker and be much much easier for Android TV hardware sellers to implement.
- I suspect this is one reason why AMLogic S905X hardware was chosen as Google Android TV reference development hardware.
- handles all AC3, DTS and HD Audio Passthrough, inc. Atmos and up to 7.1 Multichannel LPCM in Kodi Krypton 17.6 & Leia
- 4K high bitrate Bluray Krypton video playback works well when used with a (Ugreen) USB3 > Gigabit LAN adapter
- Netflix still does 5.1 DD+ audio if HDMI connected to a DD+ capable audio reciever.

- 4K HDR Netflix
- seems Amazon Video can be Sideloaded and works, Amazon must have relaxed App restrictions recently.

Still broken:
- auto refresh switching (the Android settings HDMI Adaptation option does nothing)
- still no Netflix DD+ > DD audio downmixing available, even tho the Mi Box is Dolby Audio licensed.

Summary:
- if you do not care about auto refresh / resolution switching and do not need to used Kodi deinterlacing and PVR Addons, most mainstream users would be pretty satisfied this Oreo update especially for the price paid.
Thanks for your review.

Do you think that auto refresh switching can works with a Kodi update or need another Xiaomi/AMlogic/Kernel update?
Mi Box - Kodi Refresh switching will work with:

1) the correct /sys/class/display/mode permission is set in device Firmware
2) a bug fixed and modded Google / AMLogic Android TV - Systemctl file is used.
3) dedicated Xiaomi / AMLogic developers who actually know what they are doing and make it a priority.

Remember Xiaomi are not a Kodi Sponsor and sell the Mi Box officially into the USA market where the mainstream cares little for such "exotic" auto refresh switching features.
Now compare that to the Kodi sponsors NVIDIA, MINIX and WeTek - funny how they all have Kodi Android auto refresh switching working on their devices.

Apple TV's officially sell into a Worldwide marketplace where 25i/50fps support is needed so they (and various Apps developers) now also care about smooth video playback if they want to gain marketshare.
it's a shame that Xiaomi don't fix these details, Mi box is a great and cheap device enough for most non enthusiastic users.
With auto refresh switching I would be very happy
Just run TVHZ and DisplayModeCheckSample from Fire TV developers page. It looks like only 1920x1080/60Hz is being reported by OS as available mode (even when I set MI Box to different resolution/refresh rate). So that's probably why no mode switching since only one mode is availible to applications.
(2018-06-26, 15:33)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm testing, brief thoughts:

- Google Assist works
- AMLogic Oreo - is Google Project Treble compliant, meaning Google OS updates into the future should come quicker and be much much easier for Android TV hardware sellers to implement.

- 4K HDR Netflix

Still broken:
- Oreo now has NO Quick Apps switcher like there was in Nougat Firmware, really liked that switching functionality.

Summary:
You forget to say that now kodi can't open USB drives. Check if you want...
Idem for me after the update. USB drive can't be open with kodi or ES explorer...
But i can read the files with vlc on USB.
(2018-06-26, 10:56)R91g Wrote: [ -> ]I'm beginning to believe the same
I can't trust Miboy 
It doesn't look like he actually understands the concept of refresh rate switching.
(2018-06-26, 15:33)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]- Multichannel LPCM in Kodi Krypton 17.6 & Leia
Multichannel LPCM works only occasionally for me. Happens with the latest Vero 4K update also. So, not sure whether it is something in my setup.

Amazon Video didn't work for. I could browse, but when you try to play a video, it errors out.
(2018-06-26, 17:54)jlmcr87 Wrote: [ -> ]You forget to say that now kodi can't open USB drives. Check if you want... 
NTFS, exFAT formatted drives. FAT32 drives work.
When anyone could tell me if the Xiaomi Mi Box works with the WLan of a Connect Box from Unitymedia (german provider)...that would be awesome. I am one of the few (so it seems) where the connection to the WLan was not possible. Believe me, i tried...after my research i have found some lost souls in the official forum, with the same problems too. They didnt have the same WLan router like me, but with similar problems. It seemed like a compatibility problem with some router/mi box combinations. Not sure if a Android firmware update could help there though.
(2018-06-26, 18:22)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-26, 10:56)R91g Wrote: [ -> ]I'm beginning to believe the same
I can't trust Miboy 
It doesn't look like he actually understands the concept of refresh rate switching.
(2018-06-26, 15:33)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]- Multichannel LPCM in Kodi Krypton 17.6 & Leia
Multichannel LPCM works only occasionally for me. Happens with the latest Vero 4K update also. So, not sure whether it is something in my setup.

Amazon Video didn't work for. I could browse, but when you try to play a video, it errors out.
(2018-06-26, 17:54)jlmcr87 Wrote: [ -> ]You forget to say that now kodi can't open USB drives. Check if you want... 
NTFS, exFAT formatted drives. FAT32 drives work.

Before the update It has working. I cant use FAT 32 in a 2TB hard Drive.