Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-06-30, 13:55)flipside101 Wrote: [ -> ]There seems to be an issue if you have your mibox connected via an AV amp/Soundbar - TV and something in the chain past the amp/soundbar is not hdcp 2.2.
Have you made sure you are using only a 4:2:0,8bit Colorspace and Bit Depth if you only have an regular HDMI cable ?

If you are using any of the 4:2:2,10bit or 4:4:4,10bit modes your HDMI cable will very likely need to be replaced with an High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0a one, and that definitely applies if you are using a 4K resolution.
I bought the MiBox just to play around with it a little and to see, what it is capable of, as I am using a Shield (2015) and a s905x CoreElec Box.

As I received it today I updated it directly, even though I read about the flaws of the latest update.

The main problems I`m dealing with are concerning the sound. MiBox is connected to a Denon x1400h and then to a TV which is only FullHD and HDCP 1.4.
1) I don`t get any sound from any app even system sounds don`t work.
2) Kodi does only offer passthrough of DD, DD+, DTS but no format else. But I get no sound, no matter which format and if PT is enabled or not.
3) As I`m looking into my router, it shows me that the MiBox is only connected via AC 5ghz 1x1. That surprises me, as I`ve read, the MiBox supports AC 5ghz 2x2. Were these information wrong? Or did this change during the Oreo Update, as many users complain about lower wlan speed after updating the device?
Not bashing your audio questions, just want to give my thoughts.
I read the hardware guide and choose this device for a 1080p 42" tv/NAS based library knowing about the incoming Leia search functionality for androidtv.  I knew i might have wifi issues going in as the tv is far from the router.  Ended up needing the usb Ethernet and now how no problems with bandwidth.
I bought a harmony 650 because wife hates these little remotes.  Everything good, amazon, slingtv, netflix, hulu, kodi, typical choppy pvr that was to be expected but not really that bad on a smaller tv.  Saw the Oreo updates to androidtv and was excited that i may be able to customize the androidtv interface.  Oreo released, and the new interface is excellent compared to the old.
Want to go alpha leia but my current setup is already in production-happy-wife environment so i'll hold off for now.  I have a google assistant in the bedroom and it integrates with the tv taking some commands.   For my setup this is a 10 out of 10 for expectations.  I also run a firetv & win desktop in 2 other environments.
If i was going to build a serious theater for maximum support, i'd spend the extra money and get a Shield or run a NUC.  I'm hoping to see some DRM owners release their apps on leia so i can go back to a RPI for one of my rooms.
@wrxtasy Nothings changed aside from the OS from the setup that worked under MM and the TV is only 1080p. MiBoy has confirmed this is a bug he reported to Xiaomi in Aprils Beta
Connected the MiBox directly to the TV without the Denon x1400h AVR between in the chain, now I get sound in all apps I tried.

But would be nice to get sound, when it is connected to the AVR, too.

Nevertheless, would be interessting to hear if your MiBoxes do have 2x2 MiMo wlan standard.
(2018-07-01, 00:24)Jemus Wrote: [ -> ]Nevertheless, would be interessting to hear if your MiBoxes do have 2x2 MiMo wlan standard.
MIMO = Multiple Input, Multiple Output = Multiple Antennas

The Mi Box does NOT have Multiple antennas.

It has Dual Band 2.4 / 5 GHz AC WiFi:

https://www.mi.com/en/mibox/
Okay, thanks for pointing that out.

Funnily someone answered me a few pages ago in this thread, that his or her MiBox connected to the wifi router with speeds show as 866mbit. That made me believe it had to be 2x2, which is supported by the box.
Because that's also the case with my phone and my laptop.

Maybe we didn't understand each other.
ironically for me, this box was working perfectly fine until Oreo. 
audio dropouts will occur randomly, as often as less than half a minute, to several minutes, whenever bitstream is enabled.. Was able to isolate issue to mibox and not receiver or hdmi cable. 

at first I thought it was just kodi, but I just tried to watch netflix, and the PCM and LCPM content works fine, any bitstreaming does the same thing. Any idea on what might cause this? Any fix one can do on their own end? Or is it up to the one guy at Xiaomi working on the MiBox OS to fix it?

For an issue like this, would the kodi log file show us anything?
I've posted a Mini Review in Post #1 of this thread with the a WARTS n ALL look at the Mi Box with Oreo update now I've had a chance to play with it in more depth.

It does not make for pretty reading when even the basics are unreliable...

Mi Box with Android TV Oreo update Review (1st July 2018) (click)
Pioneer vsx-s520 has the same problem
wrxtasy is right about color depth. For me, the Display setting was switch to auto. This caused the box to make 3 blinks everytime I switched on, and the audio was gone. The auto was going for 4:4:4,10bit and my setup is not for that (cable is 1.4a, TV+AVR is not 4k). I changed this and the problem was gone. Netflix worked fine for me in 5.1 (in DD+) and that was great (and a huge relief actually).

On another thing, I did notice a slow down after some time and after switching on the box and I had to reboot for everything to settle. Happened to me once. As if there's some memory leak or something running on the background even after putting the machine to sleep and put it on again.

Also, wrxtasy, for the first page, Realtek USB->Ethernet works. My issue was with static IP refusing to work (not sure why). DHCP works fine.
Thx.
I will link your post above to the first one for user troubleshooting.
Know somebody if the exFAT/NTFS Bug is also present with Kodi v18?

@wrxtasy: Can you please explain whats the part/totle mode and what about "Auto Start Sling" in mi box settings?
(2018-07-02, 15:14)shrugg1e Wrote: [ -> ]@wrxtasy: Can you please explain whats the part/totle mode and what about "Auto Start Sling" in mi box settings?
totle shows how really poorly Xiaomi care about fixing Firmware Bugs before sending out a Firmware update.
Beta Testers told Xiaomi months an months ago about this simple mis-spelling and it still it did not get fixed.
It should be correctly spelled "Total"

In previous generations of AMLogic Marshmallow Firmware there are Frame Rate Refresh Switching Policies - Mode 1 and Mode 2.

Mode 1 (part in Oreo) is for auto resolution switching in Kodi & SPMC Apps if you also selected in Kodi settings - Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Start/Stop
Mode 2 (totle in Oreo) is more comprehensive and auto refresh switching then works with a whole bunch of Android Apps. BUT it is pretty buggy.

HDMI Self adaptation part/totle does not work with Oreo because of really poor testing and logging by Xiaomi themselves. Such Errors in Android logs are really basic stuff that any Newb Android developer would have picked up.

The reason why Auto refresh switching / HDMI Self Adaptation does not work is found in THIS post (click)

Auto Start Sling likely auto starts the Sling TV App on bootup.

So summing it up, you have a shiny new partially buggy Android TV Oreo OS from Google, Apps that are not fully compatible with Oreo, a brand new underlying Linux Kernel from AMLogic and a device released by a company who cares little it seems about getting even the basics right - like stable WiFi and NTFS HDD connectivity.

(tongue firmly in cheek) - I mean what could possibly go wrong ?

The words - "you get what you pay for" have never been more true !

Sad
Thank you very much for the helpful explanation!  Smile

Damn Xiaomi, you release software with embarrassing writing mistakes ...
WTF is wrong with these guys?!

So if i understand your analysis correct, it doesnt matter wich mode i choose (part/total), both are not working ... ?

PS. Sure, the Mi Box is very cheap but it was the right device for me to start this completely new "android streaming box" area with a new 4K OLED TV in my home. Most time i watch content from an USB device but now i use  the most time my new Sony UBP-X700 Ultra HD Bluray Player, of course WITH good working auto display refresh rate feature.

Anyway, i hope a kodi update will fix the NTFS/exFAT bug soon! :-(