Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-11-08, 11:15)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]This is the problem when you have 3 entities trying to get any media player to work - even to within known standards, and add on top of that English / Chinese language barriers.

Add on top of the mix the software apps layer that, by the way, introduce their own bugs and faults, as for example the Plex Android TV client that, since the Oreo update on the Xiaomi Mi Box, thinks that the media player doesn't support DTS and ask the Plex Media Server to transcode any stream that has DTS audio, instead of Direct Playing it, as it did before the Oreo update.

Funny enough, the Plex Add-on for Kodi plays the same files with DTS audio flawlesly, not forcing transcoding on the Plex Media Server, but direct playing the DTS file. By the way, the Plex Kodi add-on relies on Kodi media player for playing audio/video, while Plex Android TV client relies on ExoPlayer or its own player for doing the same task. Also other players, like VLC, plays DTS files flawlesly on the Mi Box with Oreo. So, the tests are pointing to the android system player or the Plex Android TV client as the culprit, but maybe is another part of the system who is confusing the Plex client, making it believes that Mi Box cannot play DTS. 

So, who is the responsible for sorting this now?
- Is it some regression bug introduced in the Plex Android TV client, not related to the Oreo udate and then should it be fixed by Plex?
- Is it another of the multiple problems introduced by the buggy drivers in this Amlogic Oreo compilation, so it should by fixed by Amlogic/Google?
- Is it some bad code in the Xiaomi Oreo customization layer what makes Plex client believes MiBox doesn't supports DTS that should be debugged by Xiaomi?

So, as of now, add to the bug list that Plex Android TV client is unable to direct playing DTS audio, forcing the server to transcode the stream. And it forces full transcoding, audio and video. So, for anyone using a NAS or any other not so powerful CPU based PLEX media Server, this is a no go for files with DTS audio. And having so many parts involved, I have little hope this to be solved any time soon. Think that this is an aging device that already has a new model on the market to take its place, the new Mi Box S. By the way, if someone has already used any of the new Mi Box S, it would be a good idea to surface here and share its impressions with that new device, mainly to know if the bugs that plague the actual Mi Box Oreo release are sorted out on the new Mi Box S, that comes with Oreo 8.1 instead of 8.0,  or not.

By the way, there are so many problems since the Oreo update that I think the best bet for Xiaomi on the Mi Box would be to release a downgrade Marshmallow firmware, with OTA updates disabled by default, by the way, so users that were happy with the most stable Marshmallow 6.0 would be able to return to that version and stay there. Again, I have little hope this would ever happen, but just in case...
(2018-11-08, 12:45)tiku100 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems the new Oreo update is no RC anymore and is available right now via OTA.

Rebooting my Mi box right now.

What are your general feedback about this public release ?
Especially about those points :
- WiFi speed/stability
- remote sleeping after 6/8 hours off
- autoframe refresh
- white/dead pixel in the top corner in some cases
- global in app stability (Netflix lags/sound dropouts ?)

Thanks a lot Smile
new  update 

93.9mb 

Until this very moment, very dissapointed with the Wifi Speed.

My ISP gives me 600mbps and the Mi Box is still receiving only 80-100 mbps Sad
(2018-11-08, 14:06)tiku100 Wrote: [ -> ]Until this very moment, very dissapointed with the Wifi Speed.

use usb to gbps lan adapter Smile
Quote:So, as of now, add to the bug list that Plex Android TV client is unable to direct playing DTS audio, forcing the server to transcode the stream. And it forces full transcoding, audio and video.

My Sony BRAVIA neither supports the DTS RAW API nor the IEC one. So DTS also gets transcoded on server-side with the Plex Client for Android TV. Video however is not being transcoded in my case.
(2018-11-08, 14:21)sayanux Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-08, 14:06)tiku100 Wrote: [ -> ]Until this very moment, very dissapointed with the Wifi Speed.

That should not be the point :\
(2018-11-08, 15:48)tiku100 Wrote: [ -> ]

current update 2396 wifi performance is great ... faster than before 

and bdw lan is more stable than wifi signal Smile
(2018-11-08, 15:48)tiku100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Obviously LAN is more stable than wifi but, first, I don't feel like I should spend more money on something extra, because the error should be patched and, secondly, my Wifi speeds are very, very poor,

Tested on 5Ghz and 2.4Gh networks. Other devices, like my NAS are getting speeds of more than 500 mbp/s.

I'd like to know other user's results to compare :\
(2018-11-08, 14:21)sayanux Wrote: [ -> ]use usb to gbps lan adapter Smile 
 Please help: I own this https://www.banggood.com/XiaoMi-Mi-USB-3...rehouse=CN, that doesnot work with tv box. Do I make something wrong or XIAOMI made an adapter not working with its own tv box?
The latest Marshmallow images supported lot of type of lan dongles. But when they switched to Oreo they forgot to include the drivers in kernel configuration. So Oreo firmware knows less type of dongles. If they would enable those drivers again, it would work again. 
But we don't even know if the same team working on the Oreo build, and also not sure why they have two different kernel versions for the older MiBox3 and the new MiBoxS. My opinion, it would be more productive if they would merge they teams and fix bugs together, because both boxes are almost the same. Both of them needs the same fixes for the same SoC.
Sony is another mess, I just got my X900F to replace Xiaomi+Vizio combination. The DTS pass through does not work on 3rd party apps such as Kodi. Kodi shows grey letterbox for cropped HDR content... 

Bought MrMC and realized it is just SPMC with a new skin...
(2018-11-12, 00:58)generalmilk Wrote: [ -> ]Bought MrMC and realized it is just SPMC with a new skin...
It's not, it's its own fork of Kodi like SPMC was. SPMC is dead and the dev (@Koying)  that did it does work on MrMC with @davilla and @amet.
Got anyone the new Mi Box S?
Im curious if the box got a REAL auto framerate switching ...
No 24p auto frame rate matching on the updated Mi Box S, same issue as the Mi Box 3

I believe internals, Linux Kernel and the Oreo OS are virtually identical.

Slightly upgraded BT remote and possibly upgraded - combo Bluetooth / WiFi chipset to support that new Voice remote.

Oreo 8.1 - marketing terminology was likely slapped on it to signify Google Treble compliance.