Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: YouTube Plug-in Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@anxdpanic: Wow! This helps a lot to understand the issue! Honestly, to me sounds strange that the DRM applyes to the resolution and not to the content of the video...so I was expecting that the video would be blocked at any resolution if not played on YouTube. Is the DRM valid only for 1080p version? I'm really interested to understand how this is working; do you have any reference for that?

Anyway, there is a Mozzilla extension called "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader" that is able to download separately the Video and Audio flows and merge them afterwards (of course is something different from what we want to have in YouTube add-on). The extension shoes that the interested video (7bu6CekekZY) has a "normal" 720p track (i.e. audio and video) while for other resolutions (including 1080p) only separated video and audio tracks are available (the extension uses ffmpeg to mux the twos in a second step). So, this should be the point in which the DRM cames in, e.g. detecting the 1080p track?

For the 1080p as the maximum resolution, the developer of inputstream told me to set the "stream selection" option to Auto (actually I'm using Manual) and put the "maximum resolution" option at 1080p. This should make the trick...I will try and report back here.
I didn't check with this video directly, but all other cases I recall the signature also needs to be deciphered on the non dash stream as well. There is a method for deciphering these ones though, there currently is not for the dash manifests.

And yes the separate audio, video streams are available at higher quality than 720p (where the video has higher qualities). In Kodi as a python add-on we have no direct access to ffmpeg and no way provide Kodi the audio and video stream separately. Which is why >=1080 hasn't been made available until inputstream.mpd/adaptive. This may be possible as/with a binary add-on in the future but out of my realm.
Everything is clear! Thanks for the time dedicated to this anxdpanic! Smile
(2017-01-24, 14:37)anxdpanic Wrote: [ -> ]@vipa: that looks to be OS related. Can you check https://github.com/jdf76/plugin.video.youtube/issues/14 and see if that helps you out any.

@anxdpanic This fixed it! Thank you very much!
[/quote]
You may need to change the view to thumbnails to see the posters again
[/quote]

Exacly what I need... but... I DO NOT SEE THE MENU TO OPT TO "THUMBNAILS"!!!

Where it isHuh
Im not sure if you really mean "Thumbnails" view, or if you mean the "Media Info" view?

If you mean "Thumbnail" view, and you have updated to v5.3.6 or later, then you now need to choose the Thumbnail view from your skin, not from the addon (in Confluence, from the sideblade on the left).

If you mean the "Media Info" view, please see the following very big post here.

I have quoted a brief extract which may apply:

(2016-12-07, 11:03)jmh2002 Wrote: [ -> ]- Version 5.3.6 of YouTube has been updated to comply with the policy enforcement noted here:
- This causes the MediaInfo view to no longer be available to YouTube videos (only List, Big List, and Thumbnails are available).
- The current suggestion seems to be that the skinners need to fix their skins.

So you have several choices:

- Roll back to v5.3.4
- Install the Unofficial version from Page 1
- Wait for your skin to be updated.
(2017-01-23, 21:32)Pipppero2007 Wrote: [ -> ]
I want this again:
http://cdn.htpcbeginner.com/images/2015/...ontent.jpg

Thank you!!!

Ok, now I see you want "Thumbnails" view.

So, this should be the correct solution for you:

(2017-01-24, 20:14)jmh2002 Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean "Thumbnail" view, and you have updated to v5.3.6 or later, then you now need to choose the Thumbnail view from your skin, not from the addon (in Confluence, from the sideblade on the left).
(2017-01-24, 15:47)axlt2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Everything is clear! Thanks for the time dedicated to this anxdpanic! Smile

Can you please confirm whether you are able to play videos in 1080 and up ? if yes what did you do on the settings, both YT addon and Dash settings ? Please explain so that others can also get benefited.
Right now for me only some videos playing in 1080 and 4K and most of the videos were playing in 720 but the same video is in 1080 in web version of youtube.
(2017-01-24, 21:49)ssarava9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-24, 15:47)axlt2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Everything is clear! Thanks for the time dedicated to this anxdpanic! Smile

Can you please confirm whether you are able to play videos in 1080 and up ? if yes what did you do on the settings, both YT addon and Dash settings ? Please explain so that others can also get benefited.
Right now for me only some videos playing in 1080 and 4K and most of the videos were playing in 720 but the same video is in 1080 in web version of youtube.

Hi ssarava9,

May be you misunderstood my message, because everything is as it was a couple of days ago. I was just thankful to anxdpanic for the explaination he gave.

I summarize the actual situation hereafter:

- Enabling inputstream.adaptive, 1080p and 4K videos can be (theoretically) played
- Inside inputstream.adaptive you should set minimum bitrate around 10000000 to make videos played at 4K; may be Kodi will have some buffering/decoding issues depending on your pc configuration. If you experience such issues, by setting maximum resolution to 1080p and stream selection to Auto, inputstream adaptive should play videos at 1080p maximum
- The fact that some videos are played at 720p is related to DRM (Digital Rights Management) of the resolutions at 1080p (and above) that can not be actually ciphered by the add-ons in Kodi

Hope this clarified. Smile
(2017-01-25, 11:16)axlt2002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-24, 21:49)ssarava9 Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi ssarava9,

May be you misunderstood my message, because everything is as it was a couple of days ago. I was just thankful to anxdpanic for the explaination he gave.

I summarize the actual situation hereafter:

- Enabling inputstream.adaptive, 1080p and 4K videos can be (theoretically) played
- Inside inputstream.adaptive you should set minimum bitrate around 10000000 to make videos played at 4K; may be Kodi will have some buffering/decoding issues depending on your pc configuration. If you experience such issues, by setting maximum resolution to 1080p and stream selection to Auto, inputstream adaptive should play videos at 1080p maximum
- The fact that some videos are played at 720p is related to DRM (Digital Rights Management) of the resolutions at 1080p (and above) that can not be actually ciphered by the add-ons in Kodi

Hope this clarified. Smile

Thanks for the clarification, this actually helped.
(2017-01-23, 11:04)axlt2002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-21, 19:23)axlt2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Jeff,

Just one clarification on the add-on versions...tell me if something is wrong:

- 5.3.6 is on the Kodi repository
- 5.3.7 is available on github under the "Releases" page (why is not on Kodi repository?)
- 5.3.8 is the actual github "under construction" version (and should be downloaded through "Download ZIP")

Thanks! Smile

Hi Jeff, can you provide a feedback on this? Thanks and have a great day! Smile

Here's the deal

5.3.6 was pushed to the Official Repo. It's the one where it was tested as best as we could
5.3.7 was released under my repo but had some issues with libreElec and windows users not being able to use mpeg dash because i don't have a windows machine and i didn't have a libreelec set.
5.3.8 is with the fixes and i'm waiting for anyone to update translations because when i seem to push these things out to the local repo first i always end up with translations after the fact.

so here's my method

1. When I get PR requests for changes, i try and test them, or i ask you guys to test them to make sure they work properly.
2. once pushed into the github collective, i'll update the Youtube Repo and ask a more massive test to be performed. this may take 2 to 3 weeks mainly because if something breaks then it wont effect the large amount of users it would break if i just sent a PR to kodi official repository.
3. Once i'm satisfied that 1 and 2 are met then i'll do a PR to Kodi's Official Repository.

Here is what i would like from you guys.

I'd like when i ask for testing just do a thorough test, i need to know Which platform/version of Kodi you used.

I hope this helps.

jeff
(2017-01-24, 20:14)jmh2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure if you really mean "Thumbnails" view, or if you mean the "Media Info" view?

If you mean "Thumbnail" view, and you have updated to v5.3.6 or later, then you now need to choose the Thumbnail view from your skin, not from the addon (in Confluence, from the sideblade on the left).

I meant exacly that! But it's awful, I have to set the thumbnails view FOR EACH page!!!

I want ALL the YT plugin to be set as thumbnail view but my normal Kodi interface must remain text.

How to do it? Huh
Yes, you need to set the Thumbnails view for each page in your Skin.

This is now the policy being enforced by Team Kodi. Views can no longer be set by addons. Sorry.
(2017-01-26, 21:41)Pipppero2007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-24, 20:14)jmh2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure if you really mean "Thumbnails" view, or if you mean the "Media Info" view?

I meant exacly that! But it's awful, I have to set the thumbnails view FOR EACH page!!!

I want ALL the YT plugin to be set as thumbnail view but my normal Kodi interface must remain text.

How to do it? Huh

ok

The plugin does not handle the view settings any longer. It's actually handled by the skin. In the older versions bromix implemented a work around for it, but this work around is no longer allowed.

Thanks
Jeff
(2017-01-26, 22:29)jdf76 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-26, 21:41)Pipppero2007 Wrote: [ -> ]

How to do it? Huh

ok

The plugin does not handle the view settings any longer. It's actually handled by the skin. In the older versions bromix implemented a work around for it, but this work around is no longer allowed.

Thanks
Jeff

How I can set ALL KODI to be set as thumbails view as default?