Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Estuary MOD - KODI 17 (DISCONTINUED)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-09-03, 02:07)Synopis Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-03, 01:47)elchupete Wrote: [ -> ]As I wrote. Its the way how Guilouz likes it.

That's a pretty terrible excuse.

This is a person volunteering to share a modified version of a skin developed by another group of volunteers that is all open source licensed in some way. There comes a point, Synopsis, that you have four choices:

1- live with the skin the way it is
2- modify Guilouz's code to suit your needs (and share if you want as long as it meets the original licensing terms)
3- Go back to the original Estuary and modify it
4- Find a different skin

There are a couple of things I don't like about the mod, so I've edited the code to meet my needs. It means I have to do a diff every time Guilouz modifies the skin, but it's worth it to me. I've done limited mods to Confluence in the past, and it's more work then I want to do again. So for me editing less than 1% of Guilouz's mod is much better than starting from scratch. You're going to have to decide what's right for you.
(2016-09-02, 21:24)Pasado Wrote: [ -> ]I can 2nd that, if 'e' is typed in via the keyboard then it attempts to start the PVR manager as well! I tried to see if it was the same in the default Estuary skin but that doesn't have a search in the pop out menu, so it would seem that it is skin related.

I have it happen on my Mac and on my Windows driven Intel NUC so it's at least not a problem specific to one OS...

@all
Why do people get pissed just because someone asks about a design decision that maybe even isn't logical to most users. In the end I think everybody is trying to make the skin better because we like it and sorry, but saying "code your own" is just a childish reaction. Not everybody has the knowledge to do that and yet I think positive critic should be allowed.
(2016-09-03, 03:19)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-03, 02:07)Synopis Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-03, 01:47)elchupete Wrote: [ -> ]As I wrote. Its the way how Guilouz likes it.

That's a pretty terrible excuse.

This is a person volunteering to share a modified version of a skin developed by another group of volunteers that is all open source licensed in some way. There comes a point, Synopsis, that you have four choices:

2- modify Guilouz's code to suit your needs (and share if you want as long as it meets the original licensing terms)
4- Find a different skin

There are a couple of things I don't like about the mod, so I've edited the code to meet my needs. It means I have to do a diff every time Guilouz modifies the skin, but it's worth it to me. I've done limited mods to Confluence in the past, and it's more work then I want to do again. So for me editing less than 1% of Guilouz's mod is much better than starting from scratch. You're going to have to decide what's right for you.

All true and yet so far we have not heard a single valid argument for the current behavior. "xyz likes it" is a really weak argument I think. I don't have the capacity to create and maintain my own mod. Live with it then you can say, and yet my point remains true, that design decisions can be challenged and a decent exchange of arguments between grown up people can be had. or not, which would be really sad. I did not post here to say I don't like it, so change it - instead I gave a good reason why I think the current behavior is not ideal and a different behavior should be the default. So far a few users agreed that they feel the same so this is not my insanity that made me feel the default behavior is strange. Also Estuary (plain no MOD) behaves as desired. And I am sure, they didn't go with that design choice to hurt their users.

A good example for a similar situation was the challenging of the plastic CD case used for music visualization. Guilouz did like that (and still does) and that is all good and great and yet, so many people would have loved to not see a plastic case from 1990 around their cover art that this is now an option in Estuary mod. We can still argue about defaults then, but obviously a thought process was started and ended in adding an option.

So there's quite some grey area between just complaining without even providing a reason and creating your own mod, right?
(2016-09-03, 12:18)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-03, 03:19)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-03, 02:07)Synopis Wrote: [ -> ]That's a pretty terrible excuse.

4- Find a different skin

All true and yet so far we have not heard a single valid argument for the current behavior. "xyz likes it" is a really weak argument I think. I don't have the capacity to create and maintain my own mod. Live with it then you can say, and yet my point remains true, that design decisions can be challenged and a decent exchange of arguments between grown up people can be had. or not, which would be really sad. I did not post here to say I don't like it, so change it - instead I gave a good reason why I think the current behavior is not ideal and a different behavior should be the default. So far a few users agreed that they feel the same so this is not my insanity that made me feel the default behavior is strange. Also Estuary (plain no MOD) behaves as desired. And I am sure, they didn't go with that design choice to hurt their users.

A good example for a similar situation was the challenging of the plastic CD case used for music visualization. Guilouz did like that (and still does) and that is all good and great and yet, so many people would have loved to not see a plastic case from 1990 around their cover art that this is now an option in Estuary mod. We can still argue about defaults then, but obviously a thought process was started and ended in adding an option.

So there's quite some grey area between just complaining without even providing a reason and creating your own mod, right?

Well said. I made the logical (to me, anyway) assumption that this was a small navigational error in Estuary Mod because the core idea behind UI efficiency is to get you to your most-used items/content with as few steps as possible. In this case, it makes more sense (again, to me as ymmv) to get right to your content instead of going to the much-less-frequently used tool icon bar and then making another step to go down to your content. It's a small thing to be sure, but if the primary purpose of a program is to play back your media then logically you would want to get to that media in as few steps as possible... no? If someone disagrees then I would be fine with having it as an option as choice is good for everyone. The fact that we are all here and commenting at all is because we love Guilouz's code and there's nothing wrong in discussion to improve his already excellent work.
(2016-09-03, 12:18)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]All true and yet so far we have not heard a single valid argument for the current behavior. "xyz likes it" is a really weak argument I think. I don't have the capacity to create and maintain my own mod. Live with it then you can say, and yet my point remains true, that design decisions can be challenged and a decent exchange of arguments between grown up people can be had. or not, which would be really sad. I did not post here to say I don't like it, so change it - instead I gave a good reason why I think the current behavior is not ideal and a different behavior should be the default. So far a few users agreed that they feel the same so this is not my insanity that made me feel the default behavior is strange. Also Estuary (plain no MOD) behaves as desired. And I am sure, they didn't go with that design choice to hurt their users.

I don't think its a weak argument. Its a mod Guilouz made for his own. He is kind enough to share his mod with the community and from time to time accepts suggestions from us, the users. If he does not, its purely his decision.

If, lets say, a painter decides to paint a tree and makes it blue, because he likes it, its his decision. Although everyone else would say a green tree would feel much more natural, the painter still has the right to make it blue, if he likes it that way.

Edit: Just realized, that Syncopation has opened a dedicated threat for this discussion. I suggest to move discussion for this topic to this threat in order to keep this one on topic
elchupete: so what is this thread here about you think?
(2016-09-03, 15:35)elchupete Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-03, 12:18)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]All true and yet so far we have not heard a single valid argument for the current behavior. "xyz likes it" is a really weak argument I think. I don't have the capacity to create and maintain my own mod. Live with it then you can say, and yet my point remains true, that design decisions can be challenged and a decent exchange of arguments between grown up people can be had. or not, which would be really sad. I did not post here to say I don't like it, so change it - instead I gave a good reason why I think the current behavior is not ideal and a different behavior should be the default. So far a few users agreed that they feel the same so this is not my insanity that made me feel the default behavior is strange. Also Estuary (plain no MOD) behaves as desired. And I am sure, they didn't go with that design choice to hurt their users.

I don't think its a weak argument. Its a mod Guilouz made for his own. He is kind enough to share his mod with the community and from time to time accepts suggestions from us, the users. If he does not, its purely his decision.

If, lets say, a painter decides to paint a tree and makes it blue, because he likes it, its his decision. Although everyone else would say a green tree would feel much more natural, the painter still has the right to make it blue, if he likes it that way.

Edit: Just realized, that Syncopation has opened a dedicated threat for this discussion. I suggest to move discussion for this topic to this threat in order to keep this one on topic

You summarized the situation. The subject is now closed.
(2016-09-03, 16:53)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]elchupete: so what is this thread here about you think?

If you truly felt that way Syncopation, you wouldn't have started a new thread!
Lets not turn this into a slanging match there are plenty of other forums for that!
Or at the very least, agree to disagree as bullying tactics will not achieve that what you think is right!
(2016-09-02, 21:24)Pasado Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-02, 12:26)CooperCGN Wrote: [ -> ]I'm bringing up that issue again (although I don't know if it's directly skin related). When for example I'm viewing my movies in the poster overview and go to the side menu (where I can sort movies, set filters and so on) and use the search function at the bottom (right above your logo) - not only pops up a completely different search dialog (not the T9 one) but it also acts weird e.g. typing the letter 'e' in the search field starts some PVR function.

I can 2nd that, if 'e' is typed in via the keyboard then it attempts to start the PVR manager as well! I tried to see if it was the same in the default Estuary skin but that doesn't have a search in the pop out menu, so it would seem that it could be skin related or maybe a bug in Kodi 17 itself.

Bump on this as it got lost amongst the drivel.
(2016-09-04, 00:31)Pasado Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-02, 21:24)Pasado Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-02, 12:26)CooperCGN Wrote: [ -> ]I'm bringing up that issue again (although I don't know if it's directly skin related). When for example I'm viewing my movies in the poster overview and go to the side menu (where I can sort movies, set filters and so on) and use the search function at the bottom (right above your logo) - not only pops up a completely different search dialog (not the T9 one) but it also acts weird e.g. typing the letter 'e' in the search field starts some PVR function.

I can 2nd that, if 'e' is typed in via the keyboard then it attempts to start the PVR manager as well! I tried to see if it was the same in the default Estuary skin but that doesn't have a search in the pop out menu, so it would seem that it could be skin related or maybe a bug in Kodi 17 itself.

I can reproduce it here ( OSX with latest nightly)
It seems in Movie Section on a movie at the contextual menu the mark/unmark as watched entrys are gone and not more available. Can someone please also check to verify?
(2016-09-04, 09:40)elchupete Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-04, 00:31)Pasado Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-02, 21:24)Pasado Wrote: [ -> ]I can 2nd that, if 'e' is typed in via the keyboard then it attempts to start the PVR manager as well! I tried to see if it was the same in the default Estuary skin but that doesn't have a search in the pop out menu, so it would seem that it could be skin related or maybe a bug in Kodi 17 itself.

I can reproduce it here ( OSX with latest nightly)

Working for me.

Because you use keyboard to to type letter 'e' and it's the shortcut to launch PVR guide.

Not skin issue, you just need to change your shortcut.
(2016-09-04, 13:05)Brujo Wrote: [ -> ]It seems in Movie Section on a movie at the contextual menu the mark/unmark as watched entrys are gone and not more available. Can someone please also check to verify?

No problem for me.
New update 1.5.8 on repository :

• Add possibility to navigate main menu to widgets rather than main menu to submenus icons
• Fix 'Play recording' button on Recordings Info dialog
• Fix/improve user experience in case of empty recordings list
• Fix/unify PVR window breadcrumbs
• Fix channel icons/thumbnails
• Update some icons
• Remove all use of hyphen as none value

Last update before I go on vacation. No support for 3 weeks.
(2016-09-04, 17:04)Guilouz Wrote: [ -> ]New update 1.5.8 on repository :

Add possibility to navigate main menu to widgets rather than main menu to submenus icons
• Fix 'Play recording' button on Recordings Info dialog
• Fix/improve user experience in case of empty recordings list
• Fix/unify PVR window breadcrumbs
• Fix channel icons/thumbnails
• Update some icons
• Remove all use of hyphen as none value

Last update before I go on vacation. No support for 3 weeks.

Oh,i thought this wasn't going to be in. Thanks alot!

Have a nice vacay!