Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-12-23, 14:04)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-23, 03:05)ScottAllyn01 Wrote: [ -> ]I reworked the Jellyfish files (everything above 110 Mbps is upconverted to 2160p) and added a 300 Mbps clip today. Kodi on the Shield plays the 300 Mbps file with no problems. I'd say this combo is fairly Future-proof. Wink

Thanks for the files..
I wonder if you can ADD to one of the files HD AUDIO (dts-hd or TrueHD) to test the reliability of the players playing Blu-ray Ultra HD..

I'll look into it. I don't have any tools for manipulating HD audio streams, so I'd have to use the audio from video clips that are similar in length, which pretty much limits it to the Dolby and DTS demo clips. Those guys are scary-protective of their stuff - I really don't want the Dolby/DTS hatchet coming down on my head for using the audio from one of their clips. Big Grin
(2015-12-23, 14:26)chilman408 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-21, 17:58)abpostelnicu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-21, 17:57)mahockey Wrote: [ -> ]Why number of channels set to 2.0?

because i have only two speakers Smile

So for 5.1 setup, do I need to set it to 5.1? Or 2.0? I thought passthrough has to be twp channels...

You must setup 5.1, that is taken into account only when kodi is doing the decoding.
Is it best (with a 5.1 setup) to select 7.1 and let the reciever filter out the channels or just set the channels to 5.1?

Is there a difference?

sorry if stupid question. Smile
(2015-12-23, 03:05)ScottAllyn01 Wrote: [ -> ]I reworked the Jellyfish files (everything above 110 Mbps is upconverted to 2160p) and added a 300 Mbps clip today. Kodi on the Shield plays the 300 Mbps file with no problems. I'd say this combo is fairly Future-proof. Wink
If we really want to test whether the SHIELD can handle Ultra HD Blu-ray files, we should be testing HEVC encoded files that are main10 L5.1. The performance of H.264 and HEVC decoders can be totally different on a device. That said, it seems to be OK with 300Mbps bitrate main10 files. These are just 10sec clips that I tested. Will it be the same with longer clips is something to be seen...
Shiel being based on maxwell arch has suport for hd blueray hvec 10bit
Just wanted to clarify this before considering the NVIDIA Shield.
The Invidia shild is able to control the TV Volume with the NVIDIA Remote Control over CEC. Is this also working from within Kodi?
And the other question would be, if it is correct, that the Shield is doing a good job on deinterlacing Live TV (1080i h264)?

Thanks for ur answers and support.

Regards
Vlaves
(2015-12-23, 19:46)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
If we really want to test whether the SHIELD can handle Ultra HD Blu-ray files, we should be testing HEVC encoded files that are main10 L5.1. The performance of H.264 and HEVC decoders can be totally different on a device. That said, it seems to be OK with 300Mbps bitrate main10 files. These are just 10sec clips that I tested. Will it be the same with longer clips is something to be seen...

Workin' on it, tho I hate learning new tools! Big Grin
Looks like Handbrake now can handle HEVC... I used to use an older version for re-encoding, but not sure if you can edit as well. Or, whether you need Adobe Premiere CC.
(2015-12-23, 19:46)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]If we really want to test whether the SHIELD can handle Ultra HD Blu-ray files, we should be testing HEVC encoded files that are main10 L5.1. The performance of H.264 and HEVC decoders can be totally different on a device. That said, it seems to be OK with 300Mbps bitrate main10 files. These are just 10sec clips that I tested. Will it be the same with longer clips is something to be seen...

'Just one file on a temporary page at the moment, but it's a start:

http://jell.yfish.us/temp.html

I'm about to make a road trip to my parent's for Christmas, so I don't have time to do more files right now. When I get back, I'll whip up a bunch more files, figure out how to present them on the site (need to rework it for both h264 and h265 files) and then update the main page.
(2015-12-23, 20:26)Vlaves Wrote: [ -> ]The Invidia shild is able to control the TV Volume with the NVIDIA Remote Control over CEC. Is this also working from within Kodi?
Hello,
From my experience, you can control the Shield (Android) volume with the remote. I have not tried finding a way to control the TV volume with the remote, and never accidentally did it. But in my opinion it is fine this way, i have control on the volume with the Shield volume adjustment.

On a side note, i can control Kodi from my TV (Pana GT30) remote, which is nice.
I don't need any other remote other than my LG tv remote..Cec works 100% for me
Can i pick your brains for the best KODI audio settings for the below setup..thanks

BenQ W1070+ Projector
Pioneer VSX-529k 5.1 amp (Dolby TrueHD• DTS-HD High Resolution Audio)
Nvidia Shield TV running Kodi v15.2 Isengard
First upgrade to the beta.
I have a question concerning framerate switching: I'm running Kodi 15.2 on the shield and after activating framerate switching, a 24fps file was all over the place. It was like the video was trying to cath up to the audio and didn't really succeed. Is that normal?
For european users the Nvidia Shield + remote bundle is 169€ in amazon.de

link to amazon