Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-06, 13:05)busta.rhymes Wrote: [ -> ]I orderd one at cyberport.de and it looks as if they got it in stock today.
My package is already being prepared for shippment so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Ill try to awnser them as soon as it arrives.

I wonder if that is the '2015' version? How could they get them before Nvidia store or Nvidia Partners sites? All other sites state 1/16 as the release date.
It's referenced (https://www.cyberport.de/nvidia-shield-t...10882.html) but clearly state available from 16th Jan.
Unless the merchant has it already in stock and don't respect the deadline, I bet it wont be actually shipped before mid-January.
yesterday it was stated available around the 19th of january...and under neath its said nvidia release 16th. This is when i orderd one.
As of this morning i checked back on the site and the product showed up as in stock and the date of the 19th was replaced with in stock.
I called cyberport and they said they recieved a shipment today and are just waiting for the product to get booked into their system.
He said he was confident that my package would get shipped in the next days.
So im actually pretty possitiv that ill get one soon.
(2017-01-06, 14:41)busta.rhymes Wrote: [ -> ]He said he was confident that my package would get shipped in the next days.

Sure, sure. We all know sellers can be trusted, don't we Wink
yeah i know what you mean... lets wait and see

@Koying
While your here Koying any plans on making a Krypton SPMC?
Another question for koying. When I press back button on the shield remote the playback stops. Is there a setting where it doesn't do that in Kodi on the shield?
(2017-01-06, 19:22)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Another question for koying. When I press back button on the shield remote the playback stops. Is there a setting where it doesn't do that in Kodi on the shield?

i love that it does that :-D
(2017-01-05, 22:14)rodalpho Wrote: [ -> ]You're generally best off using MrMC or SPMC on Android. Kodi for Android is unfortunately not in active development.

I'm a novice. Can you elaborate? What does this mean? I'm getting Kodi 17 updates for Android TV through Play Store on my Mi Box.
(2017-01-06, 21:50)crestorrep Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a novice. Can you elaborate? What does this mean? I'm getting Kodi 17 updates for Android TV through Play Store on my Mi Box.

Kodi no longer has a Android Maintainer, and although there is still some development for Kodi on Android it has slowed and is behind other development.

MrMC & SPMC are forks of Kodi and were started and maintained by former Kodi Android Maintainers. MrMC was forked by a former Kodi Team member, who's actually responsible for porting Kodi to Android. Although MrMC is a Kodi fork there are some differences and it will be following it's own development path.

SPMC was forked by Koying who is still a current Team member but resigned his post as Maintainer. SPMC is a direct fork and other than having specific Android development, will provide you with the same experience as Kodi. SPMC is currently based off of Jarvis (v16.x) and can be installed and updated through the Play Store just like Kodi.
(2017-01-06, 19:22)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Another question for koying. When I press back button on the shield remote the playback stops. Is there a setting where it doesn't do that in Kodi on the shield?

You can modify the remote.xml and assign a different function to the back button in videofullscreen
(2017-01-06, 22:56)aptalca Wrote: [ -> ]

You can modify the remote.xml and assign a different function to the back button in videofullscreen

So how do I do that? Also what function do I assign the back button. Remember it does go back but it also stops the stream so it's doing its job But I just want it to stop stopping media playback when I want to go back to browse my library
(2017-01-06, 22:56)aptalca Wrote: [ -> ]

Even easier, get the Keymap Editor from the official repo.
For the layman, what does Android 7 (under the hood of new site?) do for live TV? I googled it and read an article posted august 2016. Some things about time shifting live video which wasn't possible before... I don't know much else.
I've seen quite a few videos of policy using hd homerun in conjunction with shield. Lon Seidman has a lot of coverage, and its always looked quite complete, although still a bit involved to get set up imho. (Homerun boxes ain't cheap).

So what about this new shield could be beneficial in this area? Anyone clued up?
Have a read of this rundown of Android TV - Live Channels - Nougat 7.0 integration.

Live Channels Updated, Supports USB Tuners and Adds DVR Capabilities

I would basically expect a list of relatively cheap, compatible, ATSC (to start with) USB Tuners to be Plug N Play compatible with Nougat and the Shield. Then the integrated Live Channels App on the Shield should be able to timeshift and schedule / playback recordings from a directly connected or possibly Networked HDD.
Some sort of Tuner config setup, either via Nougat Firmware or via the Live Channels, or similar App itself will have to be added as well.
I'm curious if the spot will work on the old shield? I just watched a video of their keynote and that looks pretty cool. I like how it's the size of an air freshener so you won't even notice it. Will be interesting to see how much one costs too.