Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Shield is not upgraded to HDMI 2.0a, nVIDIA Tegra technical head did say that at some point of time it will be upgraded. So, for now HDR playback is not possible with the Shield. Even for those RockChip and Amlogic SoCs that are coming with HDMI 2.0a/HDR support, the company will have to develop a native video player that can output 10-bit. Kodi 16/17 doesn't do that now and I am not sure what version will ultimately support 10-bit output.
wesk05, have you verified this non 10-bit video output using any of your technical gear you have ?

The reason I ask is I should really put a Big Fat Warning on the Pick the Right Kodi box thread stating whether or not 10-bit video is currently being output from any Hardware device at all.
If it is not then basically quoting tech specs is just a Marketing statement at this point in time. Yes you will be able to decode 10-bit, but not get the benefits from it with increased color shading being output.
It's also important not to equate 10 bit with HDR too. They are two separate things. You need 10 bit (or higher) for HDR, but there is also non-HDR 10 bit video.

The broadcast industry has been able to shoot 601 and 709 in 10-bit for decades - but none of it has been HDR. Digital Betacam, as used at the 1994 Winter Olympics before it became the de facto SD digital tape format, is 4:2:2 10 bit SD (90Mbs for SD!). Standard SDI and HD-SDI interconnects support 10-bit (and SDI dates back to the early 90s too) Not all broadcast gear has run 10-bit (DV25 stuff is 8-bit I believe) - but a lot of infrastructure is 10-bit, with only the final encode or DVD/Blu-ray master being the 8-bit bottleneck.
(2016-01-05, 11:22)Bjur Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-05, 11:16)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-05, 10:17)Bjur Wrote: [ -> ]But very few buttons work as standard. I would like to use many more buttons on my harmony remote.

Or you could just buy a Flirc and get full control from existing remote without the larger cost of buying a hub model.
And thanks Hiphopopotamus. I have also considered the flirc, but I can buy a used Harmony smart control where I live for almost the same price as a new flirc.

I tried to find other solutions to the buttons issue with harmony and Shield and came empty handed (other than buying flirc). I did manage to create a temporary solution using my old resources. I know it's not for everybody, but it might give someone new ideas...
You can check a recap on my config here
(2016-01-19, 01:49)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-18, 17:07)Morgan Wrote: [ -> ]I use the sync display to refresh rate option

Turn that off, what you want is Settings – Videos – Playback – Adjust display refresh rate – Always.

Yeah, It is what I meant. I've put in in Start/Stop.
And it is not what causes the issue of stuttering, it happens whatever the refresh rate of the video.
It appears and gets worse during a playback, and gets better if I stop and restart the video.
Sometimes I need to reboot the ShieldTV.
Do we know if Shield is handling LIVE TV deinterlacing well now? I have never noticed any issues but I see a lot of people have complained about it. I was wondering if with the upcoming Jarvis release it has been addressed?
(2016-01-19, 18:37)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Do we know if Shield is handling LIVE TV deinterlacing well now? I have never noticed any issues but I see a lot of people have complained about it. I was wondering if with the upcoming Jarvis release it has been addressed?

Don't go looking for issues is my advice. Just enjoy it until you see a problem. I can't comment on that as I don't use live tv.
(2016-01-19, 02:14)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-18, 17:07)Morgan Wrote: [ -> ]I use the sync display to refresh rate option

Turn that off, what you want is Settings – Videos – Playback – Adjust display refresh rate – Always.

Why Always? I thought On Start/Stop was recommended, as very few, if any, streams have multiple refresh rate content in them (i.e. everything is usually at a fixed refresh rate, so setting this at start of playback makes sense) It's what I do for 23.976, 24.000, 25, 50 and 59.94 content (I don't think I have any 60.00)

I had never thought of that actually. Makes sense, I do however have one film that for some bizarre reason starts of at 50Hz for an intro, then switches to 23.976. I have had no issues, so I will leave it as Always.

What harm can sync to display give? My understanding is that "adjust display refresh rate=always" has higher prio. Sync to display will only be effective if your display does not support the video framerate.
Sorry, I can’t remember the specifics, but someone with a clue said it should be kept off.
http://kodi.tv/kodi-16-0-jarvis-release-candidate-1/
RC1 is released, but the release notes does not say anything about the changes done between beta5 and rc1. Or is it actually the same release? Dont know if it is worth upgrading or not.
(2016-01-19, 06:53)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]wesk05, have you verified this non 10-bit video output using any of your technical gear you have ?

The reason I ask is I should really put a Big Fat Warning on the Pick the Right Kodi box thread stating whether or not 10-bit video is currently being output from any Hardware device at all.
If it is not then basically quoting tech specs is just a Marketing statement at this point in time. Yes you will be able to decode 10-bit, but not get the benefits from it with increased color shading being output.
Other than the Shield I have not detected 10-bit output from any of the other Android devices. Even on the Shield only Netflix 4K output is 10-bit Rec. 2020. The issue here is, at present there is no software to match the hardware specs. That is why I said earlier that unless these companies develop their own video player that can actually output 10-bit video, all those hardware specs are pretty much useless or as you said just marketing statement.
(2016-01-21, 18:59)e3henri Wrote: [ -> ]http://kodi.tv/kodi-16-0-jarvis-release-candidate-1/
RC1 is released, but the release notes does not say anything about the changes done between beta5 and rc1. Or is it actually the same release? Dont know if it is worth upgrading or not.

Better stay with this instead the official KODI: It adds proper passthrough
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
(2016-01-22, 10:39)querty1000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-21, 18:59)e3henri Wrote: [ -> ]http://kodi.tv/kodi-16-0-jarvis-release-candidate-1/

Well I'm not aboard the hysteric pass-through-train (my receiver is even behind a door so I will not see the DTS-HDMA loga anyway).
Proper LPCM 7.1 as in official Kodi16 works perfectly fine for me Smile
(2016-01-22, 13:15)e3henri Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-22, 10:39)querty1000 Wrote: [ -> ]

Well I'm not aboard the hysteric pass-through-train (my receiver is even behind a door so I will not see the DTS-HDMA loga anyway).
Proper LPCM 7.1 as in official Kodi16 works perfectly fine for me Smile
Well, its not only to implement proper PT, koying had fixed also a lot of stuttering, audio lags etc. on different video formats.