Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-11-27, 06:19)the_jaguar Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks much! Regarding launching apps on a rooted Shield, can you point me in the right direction?

Not that I know if it's possible even on a rooted Shield, but you should try somewhere like xda.developers.
(2016-11-27, 03:22)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]You add 2 devices to your activity, Shield and Windows PC, install the Keymap Editor add-on and use this to setup your Hub and Kodi.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/erx97tdbuzpt9g...).pdf?dl=0

Hello @Tinwarble, thanks for this hint. Additionally to the keys in your pdf, I need some extra keys the shield understands to map some kodi functions like:
  • ContextMenu
  • Record
  • CodecInfo
  • AudioNextLanguage
  • NextSubtitle
  • ActivateWindow(TVGuide)
  • ActivateWindow(PVROSDGuide)
  • ActivateWindow(PVROSDChannels)

Normally I use the "Lircmap.xml" and the "remote.xml" to assign my keys to kodi. I never used the keymapper addon, but it should do the same.

Is it possible to get this keys with any software (maybe with an app) to the shield?

If not, some guys in the internet mentioned the "flirc". It's an usb hardware dongle: https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb

But I didn't find a reliable statement that it works in combination with a the shield's android tv. What do you think about it?

Thanks and greetings Hoppel
(2016-11-27, 14:03)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]... some guys in the internet mentioned the "flirc". It's an usb hardware dongle: https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb

But I didn't find a reliable statement that it works in combination with a the shield's android tv. What do you think about it?

OK, it seems to work, found this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255712

Anyway, thanks for your help! Will report back here how it works, when the shield and the flirc arrived and I configured them.

EDIT:

Hm..., found another thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/4...y_buttons/

There is also described that the flirc almost works fine with the shield. But there is also mentioned a bluetooth connection between the harmony hub and the shield to get some additional keys to work. Is here anybody who got this to work? If this works, I wouldn't need to buy the flirc extra hardware.

Greetings Hoppel
(2016-11-27, 14:35)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]But there is also mentioned a bluetooth connection between the harmony hub and the shield to get some additional keys to work. Is here anybody who got this to work? If this works, I wouldn't need to buy the flirc extra hardware.

That's what Tinwarble refers to in post #3132 with "Windows PC"
You add a bluetooth keyboard to Harmony, that you associate with the shield.That's ofc if your Harmony hardware supports bluetooth.

It's basically the same as flirc, but in bluetooth and w/o additional hardware.
Hello Koying,

thanks for answering. At the moment I use a harmony hub and a harmony smart control to control my odroid c2, my avr and my samsung tv per infra red. Never used my harmony to establish a bluetooth connection, but if I am right it should work with this equipment.

So if it's possible to establish a bluetooth connection to get a bluetooth keyboard with the harmony equipment, it should also be possible to map every key I want and need to kodi. Very Nice!

Are there any known limitations?

If I understand you right the default keyboard controls work ootb: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

EDIT:

I found your keyboard.xml at github: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Adva...te-Control

It seems to be very basic, only the default shield keys are used. I think your keyboard.xml is the solution without extended keys and not the solution I am looking for, right?.

Greetings Hoppel
I use Harmony Hub and remote ultimate with Shield, everything works fine, stop, play, pause, chapter up ,down, left right, info etc.

The only configuration i did (while ago) was using the top buttons of the remote to RW (change audio) FF for next subtitle, in my case i dont need nothing else.
(2016-11-27, 15:41)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]So if it's possible to establish a bluetooth connection to get a bluetooth keyboard with the harmony equipment, it should also be possible to map every key I want and need to kodi. Very Nice!

Are there any known limitations?

If I understand you right the default keyboard controls work ootb: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

EDIT:

I found your keyboard.xml at github: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Adva...te-Control

It seems to be very basic, only the default shield keys are used. I think your keyboard.xml is the solution without extended keys and not the solution I am looking for, right?.

Greetings Hoppel

If have a Smart Control Hub then yes you'll be able to use bluetooth. The setup that I provide in the link above is to use it as both IR and BT since you can only use the Power Off/On (Sleep/Wake) control over IR and the Shields "Select" command is different than the keyboard "Enter" command and will not work if you use the on screen Android keyboard to select.

For everything else you can setup using the Windows PC (keyboard) commands.

The only limitations are that you only have a few commands that are blank (those that I have assigned to the colored buttons in the link), meaning that they don't have a pre-assigned function in Kodi.

Also, all you have to do is install the Keymap Editor add-on and assign the keys to there appropriate Kodi commands. You can also use the same buttons for different commands as long as there not being used in what you're doing, such as using the "info" button to view movie information when browsing and then pull up codec info when playing a video.
Hi,

Now that we have a good free TV streaming application here in france (molotov), an android box seems the way to go to keep a simple box for my familly.
After some research, the shield seems to be the best android box.
Whet I need:
  • User-friendly
  • Android only (no dual boot)
  • Silent: shield TV has a fan, but inaudible at 15 cm according to reviews, right?
  • Logitech Harmony supported: need some custom remapped buttons (i.e channelUp and channelDown for delaying subtitle + or -)
  • Auto refresh rate
  • Audio 2.0 output only (boost center channel as in kodi rpi builds would be great)
  • h264 and h265 @1080p
  • interlaced mpeg2 and h264 (french broadcast)
  • DVD iso playback

So can you confirrm this?
Thanks
HI! Anybody else have problems with mkvs/remuxes/untouched blurays with VC-1 codec? Whenever I play movies with that codec, it stutters once in a while. Tried playing 2 different copies of The Dark Knight and both of them would stutter. Same with Gran Torino. I use SPMC btw. Any solutions to this? TIA
(2016-11-28, 12:46)mika91 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Now that we have a good free TV streaming application here in france (molotov), an android box seems the way to go to keep a simple box for my familly.
After some research, the shield seems to be the best android box.
Whet I need:
  • User-friendly
  • Android only (no dual boot)
  • Silent: shield TV has a fan, but inaudible at 15 cm according to reviews, right?
  • Logitech Harmony supported: need some custom remapped buttons (i.e channelUp and channelDown for delaying subtitle + or -)
  • Auto refresh rate
  • Audio 2.0 output only (boost center channel as in kodi rpi buils would be gret)
  • h264 and h265 @1080p
  • interlaced mpeg2 and h264 (french broadcast)
  • DVD iso playback

So can you confirrm this?
Thanks

I can confirm that everything works as expected except for this 2 bullet points:
  • DVD iso playback
I don't have an Harmony to test and I never played a DVD Iso, but I'm sure someone else will answer this or you can find the info somewhere. You can't go wrong with the Shield, best device I've used for all around media, games and emulators.
Kodi will play DVD ISOs on the Shield, and Harmony remotes do indeed work. I've done both of these things myself on my own Shield TV.
Anybody know when shield tv will get the nougat update?
(2016-11-30, 20:59)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Anybody know when shield tv will get the nougat update?

When Nvidia releases it.

No one knows except Nvidia when the Shield will get an update, and even if someone did they would most likely be NDA'd or embargoed from saying.
(2016-11-29, 14:17)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi will play DVD ISOs on the Shield, and Harmony remotes do indeed work. I've done both of these things myself on my own Shield TV.

I need to sit down one day and figure out what is going on with my harmony one remote. I can turn on my shield from sleep mode but then none of the other commands work unless I select the device remote on my harmony. When I try navigating when under activity it doesn't work at all.
Is there a way to manually update SPMC? because mine still not updating. I've try to sideload it, but the shield won't allow me to install it. My SPMC sometime just hang/freeze when i play 1080p x265 10bit video, i was hoping the update can fix this.