Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-10-23, 11:24)Ogreen Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
I have strange things since I installed the last kodi 15.2 official version on my shield.
When I play a 23.976 movie everything is good Wink, but when I play 50Hz series, it's good for a couple of minutes and after I have a lot of stutter, for all series episodes I have.
Sometimes I just have to press PAUSE and PLAY and it works for few minutes before to come back again, sometimes it doesn't work when I play PAUSE and PLAY, always stutter.
When I use internal android player, it's ok !
All files are in HD. 720p for most of series files.
I did'nt have this kind of problem before, and I don't where the issue is, video settings are good because 23.976 is perfectly played. (autoframe)
If someone can hep me
Thanks
regards

Edit: I tested with my PI2 with openelec kodi and no problem (same settings on kodi)

I have exactly the same here !
The only difference is that I didn't try another version of Kodi, It was a fresh install of 15.2 on a brand new Shield...
Any ideas somebody ?
(2015-10-24, 13:09)paske Wrote: [ -> ]
I have strange things since I installed the last kodi 15.2 official version on my shield.
When I play a 23.976 movie everything is good Wink, but when I play 50Hz series, it's good for a couple of minutes and after I have a lot of stutter, for all series episodes I have.
Sometimes I just have to press PAUSE and PLAY and it works for few minutes before to come back again, sometimes it doesn't work when I play PAUSE and PLAY, always stutter.
I did'nt have this kind of problem before, and I don't where the issue is, video settings are good because 23.976 is perfectly played. (autoframe)
If someone can hep me
Thanks
regards

Edit: I tested with my PI2 with openelec kodi and no problem (same settings on kodi)

The only difference is that I didn't try another version of Kodi, It was a fresh install of 15.2 on a brand new Shield...
Any ideas somebody ?

The shield doesnt have the autoframe rate implemented yet... so if you have the chosen the 23.976 (forced option) its to play videos at 23.976.

All other videos with 50hz or 60hz turn off the 23.976 feature.
(2015-10-24, 13:39)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-24, 13:09)paske Wrote: [ -> ]
If someone can hep me
Thanks
regards

Any ideas somebody ?

The shield doesnt have the autoframe rate implemented yet... so if you have the chosed the 23.976 (forced option) its to play videos at 23.976.

what bull are you trying say here?

the SHIELD does support framerate switching WITH Kodi 15.2 and higher
(2015-10-24, 13:45)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-24, 13:39)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-24, 13:09)paske Wrote: [ -> ]I have exactly the same here !
Any ideas somebody ?

The shield doesnt have the autoframe rate implemented yet... so if you have the chosed the 23.976 (forced option) its to play videos at 23.976.

what bull are you trying say here?

the SHIELD does support framerate switching WITH Kodi 15.2 and higher

Haven't tried that yet..

update: just check the autoframe rate in Kodi 15.2

Minor issue in 25hz and 29.97hz files is doing 2:2 pulldown.
@ couto, Please explain in simple terms what 2:2 pulldown actually is please ?
(2015-10-24, 16:24)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]@ couto, Please explain in simple terms what 2:2 pulldown actually is please ?

2:2 pulldown is where 25p or 29.97p content is shown at 50Hz (either i or p) or 59.94Hz respectively. It means each source frame is displayed twice.

25p content broadcast 50i or 50p is broadcast using 2:2 pulldown. It's how movies are usually shown in 50Hz territories, where the 24.000/23.976p source is sped up to 25p and then 2:2 pulled down to 50i/p (Pull-down dates back to the claw in a film projector or telecine that 'pulled down' the film frame)

(These days, in interlaced systems, both 50i fields within a 50i frame should be sourced from the same 25p frame. However back in the day this wasn't always the case, so you can end up with 'out of phase' 2:2 pulldown where every 50i frame contains fields from two different frames. This is particularly an issue with 70s and 80s TV shows which mixed film inserts with video studio content, as the film telecine was often played in live to the recording or transmission, and in some cases was in phase for some inserts and out of phase for others. A non-issue for interlaced displays - but more of an issue for progressive...)

Compare 2:2 with 3:2 pulldown. 3:2 pulldown is where 23.976/24.000p content is shown at 59.94/60.00Hz. One frame is shown for 3 fields/frames, the next for just two fields/frames. Motion rendition with 3:2 is distorted, whereas with 2:2 it is smoother.
might well be Placebo but tried acceleration on/off in Kodi and though PQ was possibly slightly better software decoding only ?
@ noggin, or @couto, I remember reading here that the Shield seems to be missing a 59.94Hz Auto selection.

So if 2:2 pulldown is occurring for 29.97fps video (59.94), what is someone likely to see or hear ?
Mine has 59.94
I posted a full list of what it reported on my TV some where in this thread

We also changed to surface rendering from today's nightly so perhaps that will also improve PQ as it's now zero copy
I think he means the global setting. So it runs at 60.00hz but can switch to 59.94 if the program asks as Kodi does. Shame as the Live Channels app doesn't switch refresh rates when loaded. I'd rather the default be 59.94 for me.
Vc1 still doesn't work
(2015-10-24, 18:24)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]Vc1 still doesn't work
Giving proper information apparently doesn't work either
(2015-10-24, 18:27)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]

I sent Koying logs in a PM days ago

Edit: 7 days. I'm not being impatient, just an FYI for others on the board. Just like I reported here and in its own thread some one broke titan skin's plexbmc smart shortcuts for movies, but nothing else, bank on the 8th.
(2015-10-24, 18:18)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]@ noggin, or @couto, I remember reading here that the Shield seems to be missing a 59.94Hz Auto selection.

So if 2:2 pulldown is occurring for 29.97fps video (59.94), what is someone likely to see or hear ?

2:2 pulldown of 29.97p content requires 59.94i/p output. Otherwise you would have to output 60i/p and either slightly speed-up replay (and resample audio) or repeat frames (to keep audio in sync).
(2015-10-24, 18:37)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-24, 18:27)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]

I sent Koying logs in a PM days ago

Edit: 7 days. I'm not being impatient, just an FYI for others on the board. Just like I reported here and in its own thread some one broke titan skin's plexbmc smart shortcuts for movies, but nothing else, bank on the 8th.

I've asked Nvidia's QA dept to do VC1 tests. They are surely more motivated than me to ensure VC1 is working on SATV Wink