Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My second avr i think isnt support hdcp 2.2, but compatible with hd audio. (My blu-ray, and s905 mini mx (Welcome @vn800art ) can in this setup hd audio passtrough) with this setup.
At first place only fullhd the lg tv and onkyo amp, but there working my shield almost perfectly.
Compare with pi, the pi seems better, because sometimes i see a little break with playback on shield. My pi is far the best player, compared to many others, with less problematic compared to tohers.
(2016-03-21, 16:17)vn800art Wrote: [ -> ]This I believe has smtg to do with HDCP 2.2 not existing in your Avr. Tv should be compliant being a 4k, nor sure about your Avr! All the chain has to be HDCP 2.2 compliant!
We are in many interesting forums , @envagyok !

That will be the case only for 4k original video, but not for 1080p with HD audio.
I don't know of any clip 4k with HD audio.
Maybe receiver hasn't HDMI 2.0 and Nvidia on 4k TV defaults to 4k60p upscaling and that is too much for HDMI 1.4. If that is the situation, he must change resolution (Kodi or default mediaplayer) for 1080p.
Yes, maybe automatic default 4K from Shield should result in hiss and cracks, original ( if any ) 4k and HD audio should have no audio ( but, WITHOUT Hdcp 2.2 in the Avr, should ALSO have NO VIDEO for what I have red !!!!).
Fine findings, well seen @envagyok !
If i have a hdmi 2.0a and hdcp2.2 amp and a hdmi 1.4 tv should i expect a number of video and audio issues with the shield running kodi/koyings variant?

Would you advise considering a different box?
Issues? Maybe only if you pretend to run 4k content and to use passthrough HD audio from your amp to the 1080p Tv set!
(2016-03-20, 18:10)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-20, 18:05)PatrickJ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-20, 13:11)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]User and password for what?

Doh - that is what happens when you type under stress! Smile SMB, connecting to my QNAP NAS.

Patrick

Easiest fix would be editing it into your sources.xml file, use the kodi file manager to copy it on to your Nas and the edit it in notepad as per:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Sources.xml

And then use the file manager to copy it back in and overwrite the old one.

Overall, though, might be better to switch to nfs, if your qnap supports it.

Thanks for the answer tredman, but still cannot get it to work. Did as suggested - edited the sources.xml and copied it back to the Shield. If I now restart Kodi, indeed the user/password is still present in the sources.xml, but Kodi still has issues accessing the share. Well, sort of. If I go to the source directly via "Files", I can access my movies without any issues, even play them. This didn't work before. However, when going via Library it fails every time (get a message saying the file is missing asking if I want to remove it from the library). Also updating the Library fails. I removed all sources and started fresh, just in case, but with the same results. I turned debug mode on, and logged one Library update. This is what I see:

INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://serverName/**/**/**/**.mkv' (<--- Path edited)
unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'

To me it looks like the library procedures don't pick up the user/password from the sources.xml even though it's there - am I wrong? If I remove the user/password from sources.xml and manually add the credentials manually via the sources GUI all works perfectly, but then I need to re-do this every time I start Kodi. Unfortunately NFS is not an option due to the way the NAS is setup and synced with another NAS - long story. SMB credentials are setup correctly on the NAS, and where from other computers within the network.

Any suggestions? Cheers!
It should be added to passwords.xml and not sources.xml. Sources.xml will only apply to "files" view, but passwords.xml will apply to both "files" and library. I'm not sure how to manually do it, though. Normally it's filled out automatically when you first add the source.
is anyone using the nvidia shield with an hdhomerun prime? Are there any issues that I should be aware of? I searched around on the forum as well as some other sites.
Not with Prime, but w/HDHomeRun CONNECT. I used the HDHomeRun VIEW app to first set-up/view, then now use Live Channels to view. Benefit of latter is it integrates channels from Pluto.tv as well.

No issues w/ATSC OTA MPEG2 streams via HDHomeRun. Looks great.
Works great with my HDHR Prime.
thanks @hdmkv and @ned scott - you think the 500gb pro model is necessary?
buy 500gb model i wasting money ...
(2016-03-25, 14:26)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]thanks @hdmkv and @ned scott - you think the 500gb pro model is necessary?
No. I have both, and with recent Android M and being able to treat mSD card as part of internal storage almost makes the 500GB version unnecessary. Unless you want to put a lot of games and ROM's on the internal drive. Even then, a large mSD should perform as well I'd think.
(2016-03-25, 22:35)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-25, 14:26)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]thanks @hdmkv and @ned scott - you think the 500gb pro model is necessary?
No. I have both, and with recent Android M and being able to treat mSD card as part of internal storage almost makes the 500GB version unnecessary. Unless you want to put a lot of games and ROM's on the internal drive. Even then, a large mSD should perform as well I'd think.

Yep, with adoptable storage that was add with the 3.0 (Marshmallow) update you really don't need the 500GB model.

And if you need more storage than a microSD can give you then you can also adopt a USB HDD or SSD. When I first setup adoptable storage I was using a 500GB HDD on one of SATVs, but because I didn't care for having a spinning drive as adopted storage I switched it out for a 128GB USB 3.0 thumbdrive. But I'm probably going to swap that out for a 200+GB SSD later.
thanks for all the input!