Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-03-29, 15:19)FilmFreakz Wrote: [ -> ]Did someone tested 3D-Iso/MVC-MKVs with SPMC on the Shield device?
In a german board, someone succeeded to play 2 of his 4 Blu Rays with proper 3D decoding... I would immediately buy a Shield, if 3D is held out in prospect by Nvidia/Koying/Kodi-Developers Smile

As far as I know a 3d iso and mvc/mkv will only play in 2d on the Shield. Nvidia have not released firmware to enable full 3d playback yet.
(2016-03-29, 16:12)Mylo75 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-29, 15:19)FilmFreakz Wrote: [ -> ]Did someone tested 3D-Iso/MVC-MKVs with SPMC on the Shield device?
In a german board, someone succeeded to play 2 of his 4 Blu Rays with proper 3D decoding... I would immediately buy a Shield, if 3D is held out in prospect by Nvidia/Koying/Kodi-Developers Smile

As far as I know a 3d iso and mvc/mkv will only play in 2d on the Shield. Nvidia have not released firmware to enable full 3d playback yet.

I tried 3D bluray ISO playback on my Shield (fw 3.0) with the latest SPMC build and although I could see "Play with 3D" option in the simplified bluray menu, I was only getting 2D playback. This has yet to be addressed by nVIDIA. Go here and "spam" those poor nVIDIA sods Smile
I thought so too... but this guy posted (translated):

"I've just installed spmc and THIS happened:"
alongside with this picture:

Looks like 3D to me Wink

He also wrote, that he achieved a proper 3D Output with only 2 of his 4 movies: "Mad Max" and "Inside Out"; "Avatar" and "Everest" didn't work...

Maybe he could be an "impostor" ?Undecided (or maybe he has an iso of a SBS/HOU-version of the movies ? But he seems to be someone with a solid technical knowledge...)
(2016-03-29, 16:38)FilmFreakz Wrote: [ -> ]I thought so too... but this guy posted (translated):

Looks like 3D to me Wink

He also wrote, that he achieved a proper 3D Output with only 2 of his 4 movies: "Mad Max" and "Inside Out"; "Avatar" and "Everest" didn't work...

Maybe he could be an "impostor" ?Undecided (or maybe he has an iso of a SBS/HOU-version of the movies ? But he seems to be someone with a solid technical knowledge...)

Maybe depends on sound included in the ISO ? Like with RPi ? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2225005
Not working, at least with my Epson 5025UB. Tested both 3D ISO's and MVC MKV's, via AVR, and just to make certain, Shield to projector directly...

watch gallery

Looks like Koying is experimenting by forcing 3D MVC into TAB mode output, but as w/MVC builds for AMLogic to date, output is either TAB/HOU, 2D mode or blank screen/nothing. If TAB/HOU, my projector doesn't automatically go into 3D mode as it does with actual TAB MKV's via Raspberry Pi 2/3 for example. I can force my PJ w/AML boxes to TAB and get a 3D picture, but render is half-rez, not full frame-packed. VidOn, which has managed to trigger 3D automatically on AML boxes, also renders half-rez. I know as my projector clearly indicates "Top and Bottom" for all 3D ISO's vs. the proper "Frame Packing". Also, if you look at the picture close-up, the resolution/detail isn't there as w/full 3D render.

For the German forum poster, if you can reply to him, I'd suggest you suggest he check the info panel on his display to verify if signal is "Frame Packing". I'm guessing it's TAB, with his display more sensitive than mine in automatically engaging 3D mode. And, TAB render will likely be best we can get until Koying or other devs have access to Shield's MVC decoder for proper 3D. But, Koying is best to explain here.
Thank you so much, hdmkv, for your extensive testing !
That explains a lot !!
And for me, this means: I'll stick with my Skylake-HTPC (and will be constantly worried about my electricity bill... Sad), until proper 3D will appear on the horizon...
I think if 3D MVC works on the SHIELD, it would be news to @Koying. This is what he said not long ago:
(2016-03-17, 19:26)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Mmm... No false hopes Wink
We received questions regarding 3D/MVC from nvidia, but nothing more.
I'm sure the Shield can do MVC, but I don't have access to it, either.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2284462
Right... for the guy who posted it worked, I'm guessing his display was able to go into 3D mode automatically w/SPMC 16.1.2, and he got half-rez 3D. But, who knows.
SBS 3D movies work....for passive 3d....such as LG 3d tv's
Yes, HSBS and HTAB will work w/almost any media player w/Kodi... you just need the right trigger in the filename.
(2016-03-29, 16:38)FilmFreakz Wrote: [ -> ]I thought so too... but this guy posted (translated):

Looks like 3D to me Wink

On 3D playback, Kodi/SPMC GUI usually shows a '3D' option where you can change the stereoscopic 3D mode. I don't see that in this picture or the other ones in the original post
Has anyone been able to set a Static IP address for a wired connection in the Shield....?

I just bought one yesterday and the first thing that it did was to update itself. After I installed and setup Kodi without issue and all works fine. BUT.....

Using DHCP and all is well but if I manually try and assign an IP address it will not work, even after shutting it down and restarting it states no connection.

I am manually assigning 192.168.1.202 ( a known free address) with the right Gateyway address of my router and the last setting set to 24, as suggested.

Going back to DHCP and it will then work right away assigning its own IP address.

I removed my Pi 3 from the same Ethernet cable (re[placed it with the Shield) which in turn is connected to a Switch. No issues with assigning IP address with the Pi or then again no issues doing that with any other of my devices or PC's.

I would prefer to assign my own so any suggestions please....?

The only other issue that I'm aware of is that SPMC will not play any HD material with DTS or DD sound, I just get a black picture which is paused on the video. If I disable passthrough sound it will play.
I use a Turtle Beach USB sound stick and passthrough to my Logitech Z5500 speakers with it.
Testing with RAW or IEC makes no difference for the passthrough, just disabling it will allow the films to play.

Using Kodi 16.1 RC2 and the passthrough is great and works every time with both sound and picture working.

I posted about that in the SPMC thread.
I have set a static IP on shield for wired connection, no problem there.
No special option there, just set the static IP address, I do not remember if there is a apply button though, I think not.
What I remember is after setting the static IP address and going back to network settings again, the shield was still saying DHCP although it was using the static IP.
I think going to home page and then entering again the network settings it was changed to static (I do not remember the actual word)
(2016-03-30, 09:29)papdoux Wrote: [ -> ]I have set a static IP on shield for wired connection, no problem there.
No special option there, just set the static IP address, I do not remember if there is a apply button though, I think not.
What I remember is after setting the static IP address and going back to network settings again, the shield was still saying DHCP although it was using the static IP.
I think going to home page and then entering again the network settings it was changed to static (I do not remember the actual word)

Thanks for that.

Yes I had forgotten to mention that when I think that I set a Static address it still says DHCP when ending the settings.

I'll try again.

EDIT:

That worked....!

I had to enter the details and it still stated DHCP but going to the home screen and then back in to those settings and it changed to ??Static and then worked. I can now assign an IP address Smile

Thanks Smile
(2016-03-26, 10:41)pameijer Wrote: [ -> ]Can the Shield with SPMC now play all DVD images with menus correctly? I would like to replace all my mediacenters (2x Apple TV 1st Gen with CrystalBuntu and OSMC, Apple TV 3rd gen. and Vero) with the Shield, but I have a lot DVD images. Only the Apple TV with CrystalBuntu can play everything, the rest have different problems, especially with certain dvd-menus.

I still would like to know how the Shield handles DVD images (whether it is ISO or VIDEO_TS doesn't matter), interlaced MPEG2 50 Hz and with menus. It seems not many people use SD DVD quality anymore, but I have loads of music concerts and unseen old movies in that format.