Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-06-05, 03:10)hifiaudio2 Wrote: [ -> ]One of the reasons Plex may want to transcode things you think it should not is that Shield inexplicably does not natively support .mkv containers.

Possible. Everything I have is MKV and I thought I didn't see the transcoder in the top list on a few... but now that I double check as I'm watching something that shouldn't be transcoded you are correct! Wink
I try to keep making sure to mention that in the Nvidia ATV forums in the codec threads. I want to make sure enabling .mkv is at the top of their list with 23.976 and HD audio support, or it does people like you and I no good. Well, almost no good, but you get the point...
I found out it didnt support .mkv while helping some of the Emby developers troubleshoot. We pulled the .json file and sure enough, no native .mkv support.
(2015-06-05, 03:22)hifiaudio2 Wrote: [ -> ]I found out it didnt support .mkv while helping some of the Emby developers troubleshoot. We pulled the .json file and sure enough, no native .mkv support.

Weird as Google added MKV supported in one of the 4.x releases.
I wasn't aware about the native MKV support, that is weird, does that mean that if i have a H.264 in mkv (most common file on the web) it would not work on kodi? or that it should be decoded by software?

Thanks.
Well, first, .mkv is a container and is not decoded. The steam is extracted from the container and then the codec (h.264) is decoded.

And unless I am just having a fluke, I just played a couple of .mkvs(h.264/1080p) files in the native video player on the Shield. So unless I just have a special case, .mkv is supported natively on the Shield.

The easiest way to test this is to navigate to a mkv in ES File Explorer, click on the file and when it ask what to open it with, select Video Player.
@pedromvu No. Kodi supports MKV internally, and as MKV is a container and not a codec, it has nothing to do with s/w vs h/w decoding.

It only pertains to apps which uses the android player, like Plex.
Also, if you're using Plex, the reason that it is transcoding, is because that is what it does.

As far as I know, there is no way to turn transcoding off, at least not on the version that runs on my NAS, and I don't think that there is any difference from Plex Server on a NAS and it on any other system.
Yeah in my case, I was using the Emby ATV player , and it was transcoding both the video and audio inside the .mkv container. The video was h.264 and should not have been transcoded. The audio was DTS MA and should be transcoded.
If you were accessing it via DLNA, then whether the media is being transcoded or not is determined by the server.
Its accessed from SMB shares.
If was from an SMB share then it wouldn't be transcoded.

For it to be transcoded you would need server software on your network share handling the media and it would be DLNA/UPnP. SMB is direct access and would not be transcoder.
Maybe this is a dumb question:

My tv says is can accept 24p input. Does this mean it will display 23.976fps perfectly or does it mean that it will have the judder every ~41 seconds?
(2015-06-06, 18:44)chris00780 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this is a dumb question:

My tv says is can accept 24p input. Does this mean it will display 23.976fps perfectly or does it mean that it will have the judder every ~41 seconds?

That is very tv dependent. It could accept and display both signals properly, convert one to the other, or accept either of the signals and then convert to 59.94/60hz.
I've not come across many TVs that accept 24.00Hz but don't accept 23.976Hz. Most will report '24p' for both frame rates. Whether they then convert to 3:2 internally or display with a symmetrical frame repeat is a different matter.

My Sony TVs correctly handle 24.000 and 23.976Hz content and display it without 3:2 asymmetric judder.