Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just went through some of my vc-1 mkv.

everyone was ran through Makemkv. They all show a pink screen but audio is playing.

I read on avs forum this was fine before the 2.0 update but now its a pink screen. They said to turn off media codec hardware encoding.

I thought vc-1 was hardware encoding on Shield.
(2015-12-31, 03:20)aaron.fritz Wrote: [ -> ]Just went through some of my vc-1 mkv.

everyone was ran through Makemkv. They all show a pink screen but audio is playing.

I read on avs forum this was fine before the 2.0 update but now its a pink screen. They said to turn off media codec hardware encoding.

Try Jarvis.
(2015-12-31, 03:20)aaron.fritz Wrote: [ -> ]Just went through some of my vc-1 mkv.

Hw vc1 wasn't enabled in Isengard AFAIK, and can't recall which beta had it enabled

Had the same issue with my dark knight mkv on the play store 15.2 version. It played flawlessly for me on the 12/29 Jarvis beta in the passthrough thread
Hey, I was just running some test patterns from the AVS HD 709, which I am not sure if it is ok to link here, and noticed on the "5-Sharpness & Overscan" test that it looks quite blurry on Kodi 15.2, if you focus on the texts of different sizes that say "AVS HD 709" you can easily notice.

Furthermore this only happens when using any of the two HW acceleration methods, as for comparisons, this also doesn't happen with the built in player of the Shield, and doesn't happen when playing back the same file on a Sony S6500 blu ray player either, what I mean when I say it doesn't happen is that it does look more well defined or sharper.

Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if it is known as a limitation of the device HW decoding implementation, since I am not sure when running from the built in player if it is being HW decoded.
Built in player uses hw decoding.
(2015-12-31, 11:56)pedromvu Wrote: [ -> ]Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if it is known as a limitation of the device HW decoding implementation, since I am not sure when running from the built in player if it is being HW decoded.

Kodi uses the same HW decoding method as the built in Video Player.
(2015-12-30, 20:15)abpostelnicu Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a new version of 16 beta available?
Probably easier to check the download page yourself than writing a question here and hoping for a reply Smile
http://kodi.tv/download/
What is the status really for hardware decoding?
I saw that Kodi16 have two options: Mediacoder and Mediacoder (surface).
In 15.2 I hade to disable the Medicoder due to stuttering on some movies and vc1 pink screen.
In 16 Surface was enabled as default resulting in heavy stuttering on a 50Hz PAL DVD rip (ISO format).
So now I'm back to pure software decoding...again. It still feels like hardware decoding is causing to many issues and is it really needed?
It looks like Shield got enough power to SW decode?
Hi guys
interesting comment , indeed , I just received my shield and I m experience stuttering on all movie in 29.9 fps :/
no problem on 23.796/24 or 25 fps , all my movie works very well and autoswitching from kodi works very well too.
I have only a problem with the 29.9 fps movie
I tried to disable hardware acceleration , but it s the same.
I tried kodi 15.2 and kodi 16 beta 4 , it s the same Sad

Thank u very much if anyone has a solution Wink
(2015-12-31, 15:21)marcaurellexxx Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys
interesting comment , indeed , I just received my shield and I m experience stuttering on all movie in 29.9 fps :/
no problem on 23.796/24 or 25 fps , all my movie works very well and autoswitching from kodi works very well too.
I have only a problem with the 29.9 fps movie
I tried to disable hardware acceleration , but it s the same.
I tried kodi 15.2 and kodi 16 beta 4 , it s the same Sad

Thank u very much if anyone has a solution Wink

I suspect the fix would be quite similar to mine . I would try forcing 60hz refresh when playing 29.97 content. This post may help:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2199639
Hi,

I am using the experimental hd audio build 29 beta on mine and everything I have tested has worked fine.

Refresh rate
Shield is set to 1080P 60hz
Kodi auto frame rate enabled

The TV changes between 23.976, 50, 60 and works well.

All hd audio tracks work well dts-hd, dolby truehd, dolby plus.

I am quite happy with shield and in term of PQ I can't really notice a difference from my nuc setup I had with the test patterns I used for testing.

T
(2015-12-31, 17:22)gumbi2400 Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect the fix would be quite similar to mine . I would try forcing 60hz refresh when playing 29.97 content. This post may help:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2199639

ok, thank u very much , I ll try it but how can I modify the advancedsettings.xml on the shield ?
and it seems I ve absolutely no problem with 25 fps movie ( no stuttering at all) , only in 29.9 fps
(2015-12-30, 20:58)kellyj1978 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, I have upgraded from an M8 to the Nvidia shield tv.

Kodi works well on my m8, but on the shield, none of my addons work? does anyone else have this problem.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled but still no addon works. On my phone, its fine. So a little confused and also quite disappointed

Any ideas anyone?

FYI - This was due to smart settings being turned on, on my BT router. Switching this setting off resolved my problem
Is anyone using Harmony remotes with the NVIDIA Shield?
I would like map buttons like menu and channel +- but I can't get them assigned to anything usable even in Harmony Software.
Hi,

happy new year.

is there a way to change the subtitle offset quickly without having to go via OSD?
I am mean with the press of a button on the controller + stick/d-pad or on the remote.