Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-11-14, 00:36)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [ -> ]What SPMC has over Kodi v16 (as v17 is still in Beta)
Taken selection from the changelogs, as always some things are more important to some than others.

HD Audio passthrough
Add possibility to choose IEC or RAW passthrough (via passthrough device)
Autostart at boot (this is huge for wife friendly factor)
GUI size setting (Allow 4k gui on Shield)
Only give codec priority to Mediacodec(Surface) for 4K
Android TV recommendations and voice search
SSL enabled MySql
Setting to force SMB v1
Basic Bluray 3D iso playback
Stop video playback when screen goes off
The ever good ol' "Import All" option
Add reboot & shutdown on rooted devices
Add support for AudioFormat::ENCODING_IEC61937 (Android N IEC passthrough)
Boost center channel on downmix
HQ scalers
GUI selection of H/W decoders
additional "ffmpeg" s/w deinterlace (this is a huge one for many)

What will then be the difference when it come to 17 in Kodi?

I ask, because if you need help with SPMC, there is no guaranty that any one can help.
And the community for SPMC at Github is not as big. I think Koying is the only person that maintain the SPMC, so
it`s not strange he can`t keep up with everyone. :-)

I have used SPMC for a long time on my nVidia Shield TV, I will say it performs good for me.
But I have some issues with FF/RW, stop and play. That is my only problems I think :-)

I don`t use HD audio and 4K. :-)
(2016-11-15, 12:48)Nels5320 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-15, 09:52)PantsOnFire Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-14, 22:12)Nels5320 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah me too, although I'm not overly confident due to the stock levels.

Me the same, we'll have to be on this sh*t like a hawk!
Multiple Amazon tabs open!

Can you remember what price they were selling for last year?

I think it was about 80-100 iirc ! I should have bought one back then!
(2016-11-20, 23:09)PantsOnFire Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was about 80-100 iirc ! I should have bought one back then!

Assuming you're talking US dollars, it was never $80-100, the cheapest it's ever been is $150.

As for waiting for a black Fri sale, you're going to be hard pressed this yr to find one. But your best bet is to look at Best Buy. Amazon UK got a batch in (don't know if they are still available) but US Amazon has been out of stock for a while and the Nvidia Store just sold out of both the Pro and 16GB versions again with in the last week or so.
Is it worth spend Money on? From what I keep hearing Kodi foundation has zero android developers and probably won't see much progress with the android port in the future
(2016-11-21, 08:56)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it worth spend Money on? From what I keep hearing Kodi foundation has zero android developers and probably won't see much progress with the android port in the future

I have mixed feelings about the short term support for Kodi on Android, but more faith in long term support. As in, internal disagreements/silly games might be played for a version or two, but the platform has massive demand and at least two highly qualified developers who are still very interested in working on the Android platform (even if that is outside of "official" channels). With luck, the best version to use will still be called "Kodi", but one way or another, there will be something to use that is well supported.

That being said, v17 works a lot better than I originally expected. It's perfectly usable on most Android boxes, including the Shield. The Shield is probably the safest Android buy, due to the excellent firmware support from Nvidia and the Shield's ability to strong arm a lot of video decoding (in the event there is an issue with hardware video acceleration, the CPU can safely do just about anything up to 1080).

IMO, the Nvidia Shield TV is worth every penny even today.
Quote:Assuming you're talking US dollars, it was never $80-100, the cheapest it's ever been is $150.

Nope. I was talking GBP.

Thanks for the bestbuy, Amazon infos.

Regarding future android support, sis I miss something? I tune in to the Kodi homepage now and again.
There's probably been discussions about this going on on different parts of the forum but this idea completely passed me by. -even though I've historically been a PC user, Ive been considering a shield for ages now on the basis that my PC is long in the tooth and the shield is probably a lot quieter to run.

So I just assumed that because android is so ubiquitous and Kodi such a popular app on the platform it would be a well a supported area. But I'm guessing not? :-O which is just kinda surprising to me? As I say, I've probably missed out some major news on the home page sometime.

Is this in any way due to the unfortunately high number of 'fully loaded' boxes ppl are selling?
After reading the troubling news (probably over a year ago now) about how the resellers are killing Kodi I would always dislike a video on YouTube that was peddling the exploiter package, though I never really had enough time to report such channels to Kodi team.

Can/could we do anything at all about the resellers on eBay?

I've even seen local sellers in my town selling boxes on Facebook martketplace (which came out recently), and basically I just hit the ANGRY emoticon every time. But with that, that's another damn avenue for them.. And maybe an even harder one to control :-(

I've occasionally dropped an angry emoticon and got into arguments with the seller.
(2016-11-21, 09:36)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]... due to the excellent firmware support from Nvidia and the Shield's ability to strong arm a lot of video decoding (in the event there is an issue with hardware video acceleration, the CPU can safely do just about anything up to 1080).

So serious question - did the Shield have enough CPU ponies to Software decode mpeg2 / H264 / 1080 / 25i OTA TV and give UK / EURO / AUS / NZ users - Full Motion YADIFx2 deinterlacing when this combo was broken for 5 months on Shield Firmware 3.2 ?
(2016-11-21, 13:13)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]So serious question - did the Shield have enough CPU ponies to Software decode mpeg2 / H264 / 1080 / 25i OTA TV and give UK / EURO / AUS / NZ users - Full Motion YADIFx2 deinterlacing when this combo was broken for 5 months on Shield Firmware 3.2 ?

Yes, afaik...
At least, it was on Shield that I tested YADIF for Android.
So what were all those EURO / UK Shield TV viewers complaining about then if they could have setup Software decoding and Software deinterlacing for 25i TV streams ?

Confirming YADIF and SPMC gives Full Motion deinterlaced TV playback on the Shield ?
I though YADIF is only Half-Motion ?
Not sure what's your point, really.
1080i50 was fixed in 3.3, and h/w deinterlacing done by Shield is surely adequate for 99% of the users.

Basing a box purchase between Shield Android or S905x LibreElec (as I guess that's what you want to point to) based on this seems ridiculous, unless you want to use the box 99% for watching live TV, of course.
(2016-11-21, 14:15)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]So what were all those EURO / UK Shield TV viewers complaining about then if they could have setup Software decoding and Software deinterlacing for 25i TV streams ?

Confirming YADIF and SPMC gives Full Motion deinterlaced TV playback on the Shield ?
I though YADIF is only Half-Motion ?

The issues wasn't the decoding, at least for me... it decoded just fine, the problem is that my TV would change to 24hz while playing 1080i50 stream, which would make the stream jerky. Basically the stream instead of playing at 50Hz would play at 24Hz leading the playback to be jerky, but not as "jerky" as a player that can't decode properly, this wasn't the issue.
(2016-11-21, 15:14)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Basing a box purchase between Shield Android or S905x LibreElec (as I guess that's what you want to point to) based on this seems ridiculous, unless you want to use the box 99% for watching live TV, of course.
Nah has nothing to do with any other Hardware platform. It just seemed very strange that the Shield had the CPU ponies under the hood but could not make use of them. Anyway its redundant as v3.3 Firmware fixed the issue anyway.
Cross fingers the Android Nougat update goes relatively smoothly Smile
(2016-11-21, 09:36)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-21, 08:56)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it worth spend Money on? From what I keep hearing Kodi foundation has zero android developers and probably won't see much progress with the android port in the future

I have mixed feelings about the short term support for Kodi on Android, but more faith in long term support. As in, internal disagreements/silly games might be played for a version or two, but the platform has massive demand and at least two highly qualified developers who are still very interested in working on the Android platform (even if that is outside of "official" channels). With luck, the best version to use will still be called "Kodi", but one way or another, there will be something to use that is well supported.

That being said, v17 works a lot better than I originally expected. It's perfectly usable on most Android boxes, including the Shield. The Shield is probably the safest Android buy, due to the excellent firmware support from Nvidia and the Shield's ability to strong arm a lot of video decoding (in the event there is an issue with hardware video acceleration, the CPU can safely do just about anything up to 1080).

Thanks for the detailed response. Sort of validated my perception that Android seems to be too popular a platform
To be neglected the long term.

I was not a huge fan till I got the shield and it Is the only thing attached to my main tv at the moment so I was disappointed to read some comments here about the uncertain Kodi android future.

I happen to love it and its versatility and hope the next shield is a step up and not a step down to a cheaper box.

The local Best Buy has tons of them and I was thinking about the pro version for the second room. Just holding out to see if shield two comes out before Christmas.
I think we'd have heard more if the shield 2 was due before Christmas.
(2016-11-21, 23:52)PantsOnFire Wrote: [ -> ]I think we'd have heard more if the shield 2 was due before Christmas.

You are probably right. I just think Christmas would have been perefect for release. Maybe end of Q1, '17 then!