Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV Guide Fullscreen - possibly the most powerful TV Guide in the world. ;)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-07-20, 21:02)Blackbear199 Wrote: [ -> ]i dont know python but is the delay setting in the gui.py file?
if so is it the xbmc.sleep(50)?
i been messing with it as i know its a delay for something but not sure if its for the database lookup.

Yes it is at the start of the callback for the thread that finds the channel addon icon.
https://github.com/primaeval/script.tvgu...i.py#L2366

The threads get started here whenever any onFocus event happens to the epg.
https://github.com/primaeval/script.tvgu...i.py#L2288

If you know programming but not python you can get up to speed quickly with the python links here. It is what I always start with to learn a new language quickly.
https://learnxinyminutes.com/
thanks

i run kodi on my nas and what i see is when i page up/dn is it sometimes pops up the loading data... splash for a split second or the playing channel will micro freeze.
i think whats going on is my drives are spun down and kodi is running in ram so when i do pg up/dn it takes a split sec to spin the hdd's back up.
this is fine by me as i wouldnt want drives spiining all the time because i may want to view the guide.
after a few seconds this seems to go away and page up/dn works smoothly.

my nas has its OS,my guide.xml,ect on the drives also.
(2017-07-20, 21:31)Blackbear199 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks

i run kodi on my nas and what i see is when i page up/dn is it sometimes pops up the loading data... splash for a split second or the playing channel will micro freeze.
i think whats going on is my drives are spun down and kodi is running in ram so when i do pg up/dn it takes a split sec to spin the hdd's back up.
this is fine by me as i wouldnt want drives spiining all the time because i may want to view the guide.
after a few seconds this seems to go away and page up/dn works smoothly.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea to cache all the addon icons in memory. Some devices like the rpi don't have much to spare.

The loading data popup can be a bit deceptive. It will always starts to appear on every onRedrawEPG call but usually gets stopped if the function is quick enough.
https://github.com/primaeval/script.tvgu....xml#L1502
start
https://github.com/primaeval/script.tvgu...i.py#L3295
stop
https://github.com/primaeval/script.tvgu...i.py#L3576

Thinking about it. Using the same delay holdoff trick for onRedrawEPG as getAddonLogo might speed up the scrolling in all cases.
i have tons of ram(16GB) so ide rather use it than spin hdd's.
(2017-07-20, 21:50)Blackbear199 Wrote: [ -> ]i have tons of ram(16GB) so ide rather use it than spin hdd's.

Do you have the option of putting the Kodi userdata folder in a removable usb flash drive or sdcard or even ram drive?
That would probably speed up your whole Kodi experience.
I expect most Kodi installs for people's TVs are on a device with some kind of flash drive.
i dont think so as kodi is provided by the nas maker(Thecus) and installs as a module.
i can browse the userdata folder,ect but its not in the same place as say a linux install(the nas run linux also).
its in module/home_media/ect folder.i could prob maybe try a symlink but i dont think that wud be a good idea to a usb device.
also after every firmware upgrade i suspect this would be overwritten.
its fine as it is as once the hdds spin up i can browse the guide with ease.
maybe next time i need hdds i will look at some ssd's.
(2017-07-20, 22:08)Blackbear199 Wrote: [ -> ]i dont think so as kodi is provided by the nas maker(Thecus) and installs as a module.
i can browse the userdata folder,ect but its not in the same place as say a linux install(the nas run linux also).
its in module/home_media/ect folder.i could prob maybe try a symlink but i dont think that wud be a good idea to a usb device.
also after every firmware upgrade i suspect this would be overwritten.
its fine as it is as once the hdds spin up i can browse the guide with ease.
maybe next time i need hdds i will look at some ssd's.

I could do some kind of memory cache for the addon icons but I think it is a bit of a can of worms that might not solve everything in your case.
TVGF will still need to grab lots of icons from the hard disk for its skin when it starts up. The background images can be quite large. The channel icons will be stored in the same Kodi Thumbnails folder in the userdata folder too which will need a hard disk spin up to access.
i forgot to mention that when i took the cover off my nas to upgrade the ram there is a sata 2.5 hdd interface there also(unsed).
i have a few old 2.5 hdd kickin around.i will have to try one and see if its reconized on boot.
may be usefule for something,maybe run dual OS.never know.
I guess I must be missing something. I wanted to try this addon and I have installed the Primaeval's beta dev repository, but there is nothing listed as TV Guide Fullscreen. What am I missing, how do I get this?
(2017-07-21, 05:55)PayPerView Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I must be missing something. I wanted to try this addon and I have installed the Primaeval's beta dev repository, but there is nothing listed as TV Guide Fullscreen. What am I missing, how do I get this?

It show be in the Programs section. Are you looking in Video?

Did you download this zip locally and do "Kodi \ System \ Addons \ Install From Zip" ?
https://github.com/primaeval/repository....-0.0.2.zip
Yeah, I downloaded the zip from your link and installed from zip file. I have the repository but when I go into it there is no TV Guide Fullscreen. In the Program add-ons section all that is there is:

Downloader
Play MAME
Simple Favourites
Skin Tightner
Webgrab+Plus Configuragtor
Ok, I have tried with my Android box, and my Android phone but TV Guide Fullscreen just doesn't show up. Now when I use Kodi through my Windows PC it's there. Is there a reason it's not listed in the repository for Android devises?
(2017-07-21, 18:28)PayPerView Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I have tried with my Android box, and my Android phone but TV Guide Fullscreen just doesn't show up. Now when I use Kodi through my Windows PC it's there. Is there a reason it's not listed in the repository for Android devises?

I'd hazard a guess that your android box is running Gotham (Kodi 13) or older. Can you check what version of Kodi you have installed on that?
(2017-07-19, 23:05)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-19, 12:45)JQZ* Wrote: [ -> ]It does seem like scrolling is better in the 0.0.354 update. But I'm afraid the new option to show the currently linked addon logo is freezing Kodi if you're aggressive about scrolling and hit the PgUp or PgDn keys after the guide loads. This happens with your default skin set on my Windows 7 desktop PC with the 0.0.354 update as well as my Windows 10 notebook that's still on 0.0.351.
Try 0.0.355. I've added a delay to the threads so that it should only do the database lookup if the channel id is still the same after 50ms.
From my tests it worked ok while I held pagedown for a while but I haven't got many channels mapped up.
The 50ms delay might need a tweak.

I grab my own EPG data and at this point I have 183 channels that are all mapped. Another 40 for OTA channels I've yet to get NexPVR working again for since I reinstalled Windows 7.

It does seem TVGF 0.0.355 is not causing Kodi to freeze nearly as often now when I push starting TVGF after Kodu starts and immediately start scrolling. When I 1st booted my PC today, launched Kodi, started TVGF, and clicked a news channel all very quickly, the channel started streaming, but Kodi froze leaving the channel still streaming, I must confess I'm not all that tech savvy. But it did seem to help when I disabled the PVR that seems to sap Kodi at boot. I had a few other guides that I disabled too, as a couple of them would show alerts at Kodi boot & before I started them. That seemed to help too. But maybe it's just time to build a fresh copy of Kodi. And maybe learn to be more patient and give Kodi a little more time to settle in a bit before I hit the accelerator. Smile

I am amazed at how fast you're able to implement new features and get them tweaked Primaeval. I see where you fixed the problem of channels not linked to any addon displaying the logo for the last channel scrolled by that myname pointed out..

(2017-07-19, 23:05)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-19, 12:45)JQZ* Wrote: [ -> ]I've started to make a text file with all the TVGFS settings based on your settings.xml to have a quick reference I can browse through quickly. I ran a few recorded notepad++ macros on it, but have only gotten through about 1/5th the way, doing most work manually. Another reminder of just how powerful this guide is.
If you want to donate your notes to the wiki or add any content that would be helpful.
I'm sure quite a few people would be grateful for some extra help.

I'd be very happy to donate this text file of TVGF settings P. I'll PM you and attach it for you to review. You may want to check it over for errors, or change some of the language I added. Some sections like the VPN tab I wasn't too sure of. Only having been working with TVGF for the past few months, there's still a lot features I still need to wrap my head around.
(2017-07-21, 18:46)RayW1986 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-21, 18:28)PayPerView Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I have tried with my Android box, and my Android phone but TV Guide Fullscreen just doesn't show up. Now when I use Kodi through my Windows PC it's there. Is there a reason it's not listed in the repository for Android devises?

I'd hazard a guess that your android box is running Gotham (Kodi 13) or older. Can you check what version of Kodi you have installed on that?

I'm not even sure how one would get Kodi 13. Isn't that as far back as XBMC? No, I'm running Kodi 17.3.