Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Arctic: Zephyr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Love the skin, but the one thing I love from the mod versions of the skin are the nice icons for video ratings, codec, sound format, etc. Any plans to add these to your main skin?
(2015-06-24, 19:42)BlackRose Wrote: [ -> ]JurialMunkey, just started using this theme. Arctic: Zephyr is a masterpiece. You continue to set the bar that much higher than the rest!

Have been using Eminence for some time and decided to give this one a try, and need I say, it's even better. Anyhow, wondering if there is an option like Eminence's "Set Global Background Widget" so a standard playlist can be used as global fanart on the home screen?

I'm struggling to find such an option, but I may just be being thick. Any of you kind folks know?

Once again, great skin. Best available.

Create smartplaylist with desired filters... make the order random. Then edit this playlist as a file and set limit to 1 to make random trully work (unfortunatelly kodi gui doesnt allow you to set lower then 10).
Then set this playlist as a background for every main menu item you have... I believe there is not too many. Wink
But then again you can make different smartplaylists, one for every single menu item... if you wish.... how nice is that Smile
(2015-06-24, 20:33)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-24, 19:42)BlackRose Wrote: [ -> ]JurialMunkey, just started using this theme. Arctic: Zephyr is a masterpiece. You continue to set the bar that much higher than the rest!

Have been using Eminence for some time and decided to give this one a try, and need I say, it's even better. Anyhow, wondering if there is an option like Eminence's "Set Global Background Widget" so a standard playlist can be used as global fanart on the home screen?

I'm struggling to find such an option, but I may just be being thick. Any of you kind folks know?

Once again, great skin. Best available.

Create smartplaylist with desired filters... make the order random. Then edit this playlist as a file and set limit to 1 to make random trully work (unfortunatelly kodi gui doesnt allow you to set lower then 10).
Then set this playlist as a background for every main menu item you have... I believe there is not too many. Wink
But then again you can make different smartplaylists, one for every single menu item... if you wish.... how nice is that Smile

LOL! Thanks for the advise. My brain popped, and then aliens invaded my sanity.

I understand what your saying, but what kind of command would you use for a Custom Widget to display to use a playlist as reference? Everything I have found referencing this still uses the Recently Added or New Movies applications. Can a standard (Not Very Smart) playlist be used for this?

Sorry no idea what I'm doing.

EDIT: Oops, figured it out. Sadly, poster and movie info does not display if using a standard playlist. Anyway to get these to display, or convert standard to smart?
I will be out until next week, but I can try to help you next week over PM, to avoid hijacking this thread... because this logic has nothing to do with a skin.

I just wanted to show you here that this skin supports all variety of scenarios you would like to achive, so in short:

OK... there are two (actually 3) kinds of playlists... basic (thats one you are refering), but it is surelly in extinction and the only real future is a smartplaylist.
See here http://kodi.wiki/view/Playlists... here you will find also smartplaylist description and usage.

I am also refering to set a smartplaylist as a background on the menu where you create home items (kodi settings -> skin settings, "home" on the left and "customise home menu" on the right), there you will find also "background".

Then I have created few smartplaylists for background usage (beside others for views).
One for movies, one for cartoon movies, one for tv series... etc.
My movies are in movies folder, cartoons in cartoons, series in series etc...
Now you can start filtering in smartplaylist, where you set that you are interested for movie media and you set a filter where PATH contains /movies/ (for movies obviously).
To make background more attractive and kids friendly:
"MPAA rating" contains G (to avoid violent funarts)
Genre is Action,Adventure,Family,Fantasy,Science Fiction (those funarts are most iCandy)
Genre isnot Comedy,Drama,History (those funarts are boring)
Year greatherthan 2000 (200 is a wild guess, but old movies does not have very quality funarts)
(2015-06-24, 21:49)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]I will be out until next week, but I can try to help you next week over PM, to avoid hijacking this thread... because this logic has nothing to do with a skin.

I just wanted to show you here that this skin supports all variety of scenarios you would like to achive, so in short:

OK... there are two (actually 3) kinds of playlists... basic (thats one you are refering), but it is surelly in extinction and the only real future is a smartplaylist.
See here http://kodi.wiki/view/Playlists... here you will find also smartplaylist description and usage.

I am also refering to set a smartplaylist as a background on the menu where you create home items (kodi settings -> skin settings, "home" on the left and "customise home menu" on the right), there you will find also "background".

Then I have created few smartplaylists for background usage (beside others for views).
One for movies, one for cartoon movies, one for tv series... etc.
My movies are in movies folder, cartoons in cartoons, series in series etc...
Now you can start filtering in smartplaylist, where you set that you are interested for movie media and you set a filter where PATH contains /movies/ (for movies obviously).
To make background more attractive and kids friendly:
"MPAA rating" contains G (to avoid violent funarts)
Genre is Action,Adventure,Family,Fantasy,Science Fiction (those funarts are most iCandy)
Genre isnot Comedy,Drama,History (those funarts are boring)
Year greatherthan 2000 (200 is a wild guess, but old movies does not have very quality funarts)

Thanks for the info Crssi. I have taken a look at the reference and now understand how it works. Smart Playlists references your library without any control over specifics. Thanks for pointing me the right direction though. Appreciate the effort. I am gonna read up some more now. Should be possible.
(2015-06-20, 15:19)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]NextUp Addon

I just tried the NextUp Addon, but it looks totally different than it that picture. Does it require any settings within the skin?
(2015-06-25, 00:11)pwriesnik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-20, 15:19)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]NextUp Addon

I just tried the NextUp Addon, but it looks totally different than it that picture. Does it require any settings within the skin?

Updated to last git version, working now.
Love the skin, any chance of a Fanart/Showcase viewtype? Like what's available in amber:

(2015-06-23, 15:38)jmccrack650 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-23, 15:33)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]Big icons is almost as the one but much iCandy. Wink
The only info missing from Big icons is director and writer. But then again it would make skin/view overbloated and ugly... i think
Not sure it includes runtime (or maybe I am forgetting). That is the one piece of metadata that I constantly want to see, but isn't included in many skins/views.
Since 1.2.9 all views that don't display runtime by default show the runtime in the media flags at the bottom -- so yes Big Icons does show runtime. Smile

(2015-06-23, 17:32)Redtusk Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that the RPi 2 isn't very powerful as it is, and the loading of the thumbnails slows the addons down so drastically that I have to wait ~1 minute before I can even navigate inside the addon, since I need to wait until it's done loading.

Is there any code I can "break" to prevent the loading of thumbnails for said type of addons? It would really bug me if I had to switch back to a different skin since yours is far superior to anything else I've seen.
All large images are loaded by the background image loader so this shouldn't happen... Are you sure this doesn't happen in other skins? If so which ones does it not happen in so I can have a look.

(2015-06-23, 22:31)djselbeck Wrote: [ -> ]I really like your themes. Especially this one. Keep up the good work please Smile.

Would love to see more people making so elegant/minimal themes.
Thanks Smile

Best option is to just set each individual menu item widget to the playlist (Skin Settings > Home > Customise Home > Select Widget). A little more inconvenient than in Eminence I know, but the way widgets are handled in A:Z is a little different and offers up even more customisation than in Eminence so its a trade off for some great possibilities.

If you don't see the playlists in the widget selection dialog, sometimes you have to press back and then go back into select widget a few times as they can take a moment for skinshortcuts script to find them all and display them.

(2015-06-24, 20:03)jmccrack650 Wrote: [ -> ]Love the skin, but the one thing I love from the mod versions of the skin are the nice icons for video ratings, codec, sound format, etc. Any plans to add these to your main skin?
Check latest git Wink

(2015-06-25, 02:31)eachmharcaigh Wrote: [ -> ]Love the skin, any chance of a Fanart/Showcase viewtype? Like what's available in amber:

This isn't really a "fanart" skin so its unlikely. Wouldn't really fit with the rest of the style.
1.4.8 - Codec Flag Icons

Enable: Skin Settings > Furniture > Show icon media flags

jurialmonkey, what is the best way to keep up on the latest additions to your skin?

I installed out of the repo but it seems like the git is far enough ahead to warrant using that instead. I know how to use git and I have FTP access to my box - would you suggest a git pull and just dropping the files in the addons folder?

What about retaining settings when moving from repo to git for the first time?
Settings will be retained as they are stored elsewhere. Yeah delete the old skin folder and then git clone into the addon's directory. Then git pull can be used to grab updates without needing to redownload everything. I will be making a repo update soon, just a few unfinished features to fix up (some info screen tweaks still need to be done) - I generally wait to make sure the changes are stable and everything is working properly before I send a PR to the repo. Basically git is bleeding edge whilst repo is stable.
(2015-06-26, 03:34)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]1.4.8 - Codec Flag Icons

Enable: Skin Settings > Furniture > Show icon media flags

Installed the latest git version with the Codec icon. Man are then beautiful and unobtrusive to the design, but at the same time easy to interpret. Well done
(2015-06-26, 03:33)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-23, 17:32)Redtusk Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that the RPi 2 isn't very powerful as it is, and the loading of the thumbnails slows the addons down so drastically that I have to wait ~1 minute before I can even navigate inside the addon, since I need to wait until it's done loading.

Is there any code I can "break" to prevent the loading of thumbnails for said type of addons? It would really bug me if I had to switch back to a different skin since yours is far superior to anything else I've seen.
All large images are loaded by the background image loader so this shouldn't happen... Are you sure this doesn't happen in other skins? If so which ones does it not happen in so I can have a look.

The way I've gone about it previously in other skins is to just use a listview where no thumbnails or pictures were loaded. So essentially what I'd need would be something like that, or to prevent whatever grabs the images from doing so.
Absolutely fabulous jurial! thx u