Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-02-12, 20:41)YeahWhatever Wrote: [ -> ]None of the streams work.
Thanks for trying. I can duplicate the issue. It looks like they changed the way live streams are delivered. The good thing is: Live streams are now served the same way that catchup programmers are served. What's more: They finally got rid of a ridiculous bit of a "security" mechanism, which really was none. This means that the add-on will be able to use exactly the same streams as the website iPlayer, and will allow for some significant simplifications in the add-on. Also, they added a new CDN (Amazon AWS), which is so far not supported by the add-on.

Downside: This requires part of the add-on to be rewritten, so I need to ask you and everyone else for some patience. I expect the result to be worth the wait.
(2021-02-13, 12:37)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-12, 20:41)YeahWhatever Wrote: [ -> ]ANone of the streams work.
Thanks for trying. I can duplicate the issue. It looks like they changed the way live streams are delivered. The good thing is: Live streams are now served the same way that catchup programmers are served. What's more: They finally got rid of a ridiculous bit of a "security" mechanism, which really was none. This means that the add-on will be able to use exactly the same streams as the website iPlayer, and will allow for some significant simplifications in the add-on. Also, they added a new CDN (Amazon AWS), which is so far not supported by the add-on.

Downside: This requires part of the add-on to be rewritten, so I need to ask you and everyone else for some patience. I expect the result to be worth the wait.
As almost always, things are not what they first appear to be. The change has a significant downside if you are still using HLS. With Kodi 18+, there should be no need to do so, but if you do for whatever reason: It looks like there will be some serious limitations in the future. For example:
  • no more HD over HLS
  • no more options to choose the bitrate for HLS manually
I am considering to drop HLS for v3 of the add-on altogether. Problem is: v3 is in the krypton repo, and Krypton had inputstream adaptive as an option, not a default. That changed with Leia.

Frankly speaking, what I would need is some feedback from users which transfer protocol (DASH/HLS) is used, and if they could work with DASH only. Are there any polls on this forum?

If a mod lurks here: Are there any official statistics which Kodi version is mostly used with this add-on?
(2021-02-13, 18:11)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]If a mod lurks here: Are there any official statistics which Kodi version is mostly used with this add-on?

@CaptainT - you can get download stats for the different repo versions that have been downloaded from, and which addon versions therein.

For example:

Leia download stats
Krypton download stats

Just replace the version name in the url to pull the stats for the given repo version.

Or alternatively, you can get the download stats for a given version of the addon.

For example iPlayerwww v3.0.49.
(2021-02-14, 12:20)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]@CaptainT - you can get download stats for the different repo versions that have been downloaded from, and which addon versions therein.
Thanks a lot, @DarrenHill. This is most helpful. Sounds like a little less than 57% of users are already on Leia, 40% are still on Krypton, and less than 2.5% are still on Jarvis or Helix.

That settles one thing: I will discontinue the 2.x branch of the add-on, which is limited to HLS.

Since there are still many users on Krypton, I fear introducing a hard dependency on inputstream adaptive is not the best idea. Perhaps the lower quality of the "new" HLS streams can motivate theses users to upgrade to Leia sometime soon.
(2021-02-13, 18:11)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]I am considering to drop HLS for v3 of the add-on altogether. Problem is: v3 is in the krypton repo, and Krypton had inputstream adaptive as an option, not a default. That changed with Leia.

Frankly speaking, what I would need is some feedback from users which transfer protocol (DASH/HLS) is used, and if they could work with DASH only.

Do we care? Should we care? I just want to watch TV.

Thanks for letting me know what's going on, anyway. I'm glad it's nothing esoteric, exclusive to my system.

Out of interest, are there any other add-ons for British TV? I've only got the BBC at the moment, but ITV and C4 are available online, I imagine C5 is, and there's BritBox (which I currently don't have), plus of course... many... other channels on Freeview.
This is mostly an FYI, but also to ask if anyone else has seen the same problem:

From the US, using VPN.
Using the current version of Kodi and the latest version of the plugin, All works fine, except BBC2 which pops up the error that the program is only for viewing in the UK.
Tried iPlayer in the Chrome browser, and it worked fine - including BBC2.

Seems very odd that only one channel would have this problem.
I have a similar problem. If I try BBC1 or any live channel within Kodi I also get ’program is only for viewing in the UK.
However, I go to ‘Most Popular, or the List of programmes’ they work well.
ITV has stopped working and I get an error regarding ‘out of date HLS.’Huh??
Go out of Kodi to BBC Iplayer  and it all works.
Have been using Kodi for many years and like the platform as it is very easy to find a programme that I wish to watch, but it is a little like a Rollercoaster, 20% fantastic, 50% OK, 30% grrrrrr.
Hopefully it will be fixed.
(2021-02-15, 01:05)PhilipPeake Wrote: [ -> ]This is mostly an FYI, but also to ask if anyone else has seen the same problem:

From the US, using VPN.
Using the current version of Kodi and the latest version of the plugin, All works fine, except BBC2 which pops up the error that the program is only for viewing in the UK.
Tried iPlayer in the Chrome browser, and it worked fine - including BBC2.

Seems very odd that only one channel would have this problem.
Yes, for about a week now. No BBC2 on Kodi or iPlayer, Fire Stick 4k.
@CaptainT has already said he's found out what the problem is, I don't see the point in all these "me too" posts about missing BBC2 when they contain no new information. We wait for him to fix the issue and release a new version.
Quick update on this: I managed to get HLS back up and running. Downside as discussed before: no more HD content over HLS.

Next up: Getting DASH to work as well. Once that seems stable enough, I will release it. Keep in mind that this is a bigger change, so some things may also break in the process and require subsequent fixing.

For those of you with some coding knowledge: The master branch on GitHub works for me (HLS only). I merged the changes into Krypton, but I assume that Krypton is currently broken.
I figured I should get an early morning start today. Turns out the changes to get DASH working were less complicated than I thought. I created a beta release on Github. Download it from this link and install manually in Kodi if you feel adventurous.

I am sure there are still some bugs that need ironing out. Please report issues here or directly on Github.

From now on, the add-on should behave exactly as the website. No more "different streams", it is all the same.
@CaptainT

Any plans to support Kodi 19 (Matrix) ? I miss your addon in the whitelist.

For the streams of BBC2 is there an option to use the offifial stream links eg.

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/man...gital.m3u8

instead as HD format ?
(2021-02-21, 10:23)Ghddbn Wrote: [ -> ]@CaptainT

Any plans to support Kodi 19 (Matrix) ? I miss your addon in the whitelist.
Yes, support for Matrix is planned once my development computer gets an upgrade through the regular channel of its Linux distro. Preparations have already been made, but I will release a separate version for Matrix, which will no longer support HLS at all. Matrix will be all DASH.
Quote:For the streams of BBC2 is there an option to use the offifial stream links eg.

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/man...gital.m3u8

instead as HD format ?
Those are not the "official" streams of any sorts, but the ones that were used before. These don't work any more for some channels, and I expect them to fail for more in the coming months. Thus, they have been removed and will not be coming back. Just install inputstream.adaptive, and switch to DASH. For me the DASH streams work much more reliably than HLS ever did.
(2021-02-21, 09:06)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]I figured I should get an early morning start today. Turns out the changes to get DASH working were less complicated than I thought. I created a beta release on Github. Download it from this link and install manually in Kodi if you feel adventurous.

I am sure there are still some bugs that need ironing out. Please report issues here or directly on Github.

From now on, the add-on should behave exactly as the website. No more "different streams", it is all the same.
Has nobody given this a try or is it just working like a charm?
(2021-02-23, 21:51)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-21, 09:06)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]I figured I should get an early morning start today. Turns out the changes to get DASH working were less complicated than I thought. I created a beta release on Github. Download it from this link and install manually in Kodi if you feel adventurous.

Has nobody given this a try or is it just working like a charm?
Greetings from the US with VPN:
Kodi Leia v18.9, wwwiplayer v3.0.50 Beta

All DASH live streams, with the exception of BBC2, are working in HD.
Catchup CDN streams also working in HD.

Note: v3.0.49 DASH stream for BBC2 works, albeit in SD only! Kinda strange that it doesn't in v3.0.50 Beta...

Thx for your continued effort in maintaining this add-on. Much appreciated!