Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-05-24, 08:54)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-12, 12:15)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-12, 12:06)Thebluevoice Wrote: [ -> ]^^^

Version 3 of the addon needs the addon InputStream Adaptive to be installed and enabled before you can install or upgrade it.
Some devices might not be able to install InputStream Adapative but Windows should be ok.

Kodi 17.1 \ System \ Addons \ My addons \ VideoPlayer InputStream \ InputStream Adaptive \ (right click) \ Information \ Enable

This option is no longer available in the Kodi 17.2 update Huh

Just installed Kodi 17.3 and the option is back Big Grin
(2017-05-25, 08:30)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Simply don't use subtitles then and you're safe.

Great info.

Would you tell me how to disable/switch off subtitles to ensure I "Simply don't use them"?

I am in settings >player >language and can see options for subtitles, but not one to switch them on or off.
You already need to manually install a subtitles Addon to be vulnerable.
Also all this is way too hyped.
(2017-05-25, 09:26)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-25, 08:30)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Simply don't use subtitles then and you're safe.

Great info.

Would you tell me how to disable/switch off subtitles to ensure I "Simply don't use them"?

I am in settings >player >language and can see options for subtitles, but not one to switch them on or off.

Go to
System \ Add-ons \ Search \ subtitles

If there are any subtitle providers enabled in that list then disable them.

Kodi won't download subtitles without a subtitle provider being enabled first.

The iPlayerWWW subtitles are safe.
Local text subtitle files are safe.
DVD subtitles are safe.
(2017-05-25, 09:31)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-25, 09:26)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]

Great info.

Go to
System \ Add-ons \ Search \ subtitles

If there are any subtitle providers enabled in that list then disable them.

Kodi won't download subtitles without a subtitle provider being enabled first.

The iPlayerWWW subtitles are safe.
Local text subtitle files are safe.
DVD subtitles are safe.

Thanks, checked and no subtitles addons were enabled Nod
This is the best explanation of how the subtitles exploit can be used to hack your computer or Kodi device.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/com...r/dhzaxau/
Quote:Looking at the actual pull request containing the fix, it seems that the vulnerability itself was in the unzipping of subtitle archives and not checking to see if a file would get extracted into the parent directory. eg: if your .zip contained a file named ../.bashrc then if it happened to get extracted to overwrite your existing ~/.bashrc, the next time you open a shell, bash would end up executing the code. The subtitles themselves arent normally executed, but they can be extracted somewhere that overwrites a file that does get executed normally.

.bashrc can run anything like deleting your entire filesystem or sending your passwords to North Korea or adding your computers to a botnet.

If you have rooted your Android device or run Kodi as Administrator or root this is especially dangerous.
Basically if you're using 17.2 then you're safe from subtitles hackery, but a few add-ons (inc inputstream.adaptive) got missed in the build due to tagging issues.

17.3 fixed that, so if you're up to date then you're good for everything.

If you're subtitles are from a known good and trustworthy source (e.g. the BBC) then you're reasonably safe anyway, but the vulnerability is there pre 17.2 Kodi.
This might affect the addon in a few months as they disentangle some of the BBC Store code.

BBC Store to close as Corporation admits defeat in the face of streaming service rivals
My profound apologies for my previous post which referenced a logfile from a system with banned addons (posts now, quite rightly, deleted). I had no idea they were on there and there will be investigations throughout the household to find the guilty party.

I've reproduced the original problem on another system that is fairly fresh and without said addons. To summarise, trying to play the Katy Perry Big Weekend programme is failing with an error - all other Big Weekend programmes that I've tried work ok. I'm using 3.0.7 with HLS, but get the same problem when using DASH.

Here's the new log - http://sprunge.us/RMXX
(2017-05-30, 15:21)renzz Wrote: [ -> ]To summarise, trying to play the Katy Perry Big Weekend programme is failing with an error - all other Big Weekend programmes that I've tried work ok. I'm using 3.0.7 with HLS, but get the same problem when using DASH.

Thanks, I will take a closer look at it tonight.
Subtitles for BBC (wich are bundled in a mp4 container and are part of the manifest file)) are already implemented in the inputstream agile branch.
We are currently working hard on getting this branch back to master and I'm quite sure that it will be included in the first kodi 18 version.
(2017-05-30, 15:27)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-30, 15:21)renzz Wrote: [ -> ]To summarise, trying to play the Katy Perry Big Weekend programme is failing with an error - all other Big Weekend programmes that I've tried work ok. I'm using 3.0.7 with HLS, but get the same problem when using DASH.

It is a bug. They have added a new stream type called "technical-replacement". Maybe she said some naughty words and they beeped it.
Here is a fix.
https://github.com/vonH/plugin.video.ipl...w/pull/186
(2017-05-30, 17:48)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-30, 15:27)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]

It is a bug. They have added a new stream type called "technical-replacement". Maybe she said some naughty words and they beeped it.
Here is a fix.
https://github.com/vonH/plugin.video.ipl...w/pull/186

Thanks a lot, primaeval! 2.5.16 and 3.0.8 are on their way.
Thanks guys - 3.08 has installed itself and does indeed fix the problem.
Hi.

I'm having trouble with the Channel A-Z listings. When I enter into a channel, I only see a few programmes that have more than one episode available (directories), and all the other programmes have the name of the programme but when I select them it just plays one episode. The list has always been split like this, but usually most of the programmes have multiple episodes and then there's a few at the end of the list that are single episodes (with a specific name like 'Series 1: Episode 3'). Now it seems like all but a small handful have only one episode (and the episode doesn't have a specific name, it's just the title of the prgramme).

When I browse the iPlayer site in Chrome I can see many programmes that have more than one episode available.

CBBC and Cbeebies seem the most badly affected. Suffice it to say that these are the most important in my house Confused

I thought maybe signing-in with a BBCID would help and that these episodes might not be available anonymously, but it hasn't seemed to help. Has the BBC drastically reduced the amount of content that can be browsed through their public APIs?

I'm on iPlayer WWW 3.0.8. Kodi 17.3.

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I did a bit of googling and reading of the recent pages here and I couldn't find anything.