Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-03-27, 11:11)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-27, 11:02)wormvortex Wrote: [ -> ]Any reason that I suddenly cannot watch certain channels. It's telling me I need to be based in the UK. Which I am. I haven't moved or changed ISP's and have a UK IP address

If you really are in the UK, it could be that the bug in inputstream.adaptive that previously only affected BBC 2 now affects more channels. In this case the error message would be misleading.

How do I fix it as I cannot watch the channels at all now?
(2021-03-27, 11:28)wormvortex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-27, 11:11)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]If you really are in the UK, it could be that the bug in inputstream.adaptive that previously only affected BBC 2 now affects more channels. In this case the error message would be misleading.

How do I fix it as I cannot watch the channels at all now?
If what I suspect is the case, then there is nothing you or I can do. We need to be patient and wait for an update of inputstream.adaptive. This issue has first been reported for another add-on back in November last year.
Same issues as Darren's and same two channels left: BBC News is 720p, Parliament is SD.
Log shows same type of errors.

Of course, MS Edge & Firefox still work just fine.

As a side note, stream previously called bbc_two_scotland is no more and has been replaced as well by bbc_two_england.
(2021-03-27, 11:26)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I've just given it a quick try, and all I can play is BBC Parliament and BBC News Channel.

The others just say "loading" and then don't start, but don't give me any other message that I can see.

The log is here if it's any use (debug isn't enabled, if needed let me know and I can redo).

Matrix 19.0 under Win10 using the repo version of the addon.
You get error 404 when trying to play the stream, which can be ambiguous. The timestamp looks too old for live to me, so I would bet this is the same issue.

FYI: A seemingly very similar issue was reported already here including a possible fix, but it has never been merged to inputstream.adaptive.
FYI: CaptainT,   I am using both Kodi 19 & 20.
In version 20, the addon was giving additional errors caused by xbmc.translatePath which is deprecated in V20.(still valid in V19)
Using xbmcvfs.translatePath instead,  eliminated those errors.
(2021-03-27, 11:50)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]Same issues as Darren's and same two channels left: BBC News is 720p, Parliament is SD.
Log shows same type of errors.

Of course, MS Edge & Firefox still work just fine.

As a side note, stream previously called bbc_two_scotland is no more and has been replaced as well by bbc_two_england.
I just checked myself, I can confirm that this issue has struck multiple channels now, and there is nothing the add-on can do about it.

What happens internally is this:

1. The add-on calls a URL on the Beebs website to retrieve the current live streams.
2. It parses this information, and gets several URLs to MPD files.
3. These MPD files contain more information about the stream, e.g. where it really is located, how to calculate the ID of each segment and so on.
4. The add-on passes the URL of the MPD file to inputstream.adaptive which should then retrieve the file, evaluate it, and start streaming.

This is where things go wrong. If I pass the same URL to the same MPD file to VLC, it will play BBC One (for example) nicely. VLC uses for example index 421051872 for one of the segments. This is kind of a time index. Inputstream.adaptive calculates for example index 417948135, which is 3103737 segments older. So inputstream.adaptive attempts to stream a very old segment instead of the live segment, and consequently fails.

If I understand the MPD file format correctly, each segment of this stream is 4 seconds. So the time difference is about 20.5 weeks.
(2021-03-27, 12:04)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]FYI: CaptainT,   I am using both Kodi 19 & 20.
In version 20, the addon was giving additional errors caused by xbmc.translatePath which is deprecated in V20.(still valid in V19)
Those are warnings, not errors. Just because something is deprecated does not mean it will stop working immediately. That's what deprecation is for: To warn developers they should update their code before something is removed. The same holds for the settings format.

I will change all that once the Krypton version of the add-on will no longer be supported.
(2021-03-27, 12:12)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-27, 12:04)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]FYI: CaptainT,   I am using both Kodi 19 & 20.
Those are warnings, not errors. Just because something is deprecated does not mean it will stop working immediately. That's what deprecation is for: To warn developers they should update their code before something is removed. The same holds for the settings format.

I will change all that once the Krypton version of the add-on will no longer be supported.

Wow, sorry....
(2021-03-27, 12:15)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-27, 12:12)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]Those are warnings, not errors. Just because something is deprecated does not mean it will stop working immediately. That's what deprecation is for: To warn developers they should update their code before something is removed. The same holds for the settings format.

Wow, sorry....
My apologies if this came across the wrong way. I did not mean to jump at you personally, I am just a little on edge regarding changes requested from multiple sides. Although I fully understand the motivation of Kodi devs to move from Python 2 to Python 3, and even understand their decision to make a hard cut, it makes add-on devs life more difficult. The more the code base of two versions differs, the more work you need to put into the add-on to keep it alive. This is why I decided to wait out everything that is not absolutely necessary to make the add-on work on 18/19 and 20. The alternative would be to abandon 18/19 immediately, which I think is unfair to the majority of users, who are still on 19. I just don't have the time to take care of two add-ons.
Thank you CaptainT . I gladly accept your apologies.
This was just a FYI as stated and I was only trying to help. Sorry if it did appear to have dumped more on your plate.
Looking for adventurous testers still using Krypton or Leia!

I have tried to backport the Radio changes to the krypton branch. A beta release is available on GitHub here. This is completely untested as I currently don't have a working Leia installation. Any feedback is welcome. Changes compared to the last beta only apply to Radio, so it would be appreciated if somebody could give this a thorough look - assuming it works at all.

Any feedback is welcome! Thanks in advance.
I've still got a Leia LE install on a Pi3 kicking around, so can give it a try later on tonight if I get time.

Would that be suitable for you, or do you need a more vanilla Kodi install?

Also anything in particular to be tested, or just try to play a few radio stations?
(2021-03-27, 16:48)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I've still got a Leia LE install on a Pi3 kicking around, so can give it a try later on tonight if I get time.

Would that be suitable for you, or do you need a more vanilla Kodi install?

Also anything in particular to be tested, or just try to play a few radio stations?

Any Leia will be good enough. If you could try to play a couple of Radio catchup programmes (not live), that would be great. TV has not been changed since the last beta, so no need to test that.
OK. Just listening to the Grand Prix qualifying, but will give it a test after that.

I'm also making some enquiries within the team channels to see if I can get anything moving on the IA issue.
(2021-03-27, 17:16)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also making some enquiries within the team channels to see if I can get anything moving on the IA issue.

Thanks a lot, this is highly appreciated!