Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
nvaia Wrote:Quick question for you Hitch, I have been messing around with the fonts but can't make the home page font look like this:

Any suggestions on how I can change this myself?

Im hoping we can crack this as well.. will look awesome if it is actually possible!
garvani Wrote:This is coming along nicely! Hitcher your doing a top job on this! I do wonder though, do you have a day job? Laugh lol
Luckily I'm off this week.
Ayla Wrote:I made these small changes to get the main menu icons working.

Go to guisettings.xml.

Change for example the line that has "Alaska.custommovies" in it, to:
Code:
<setting type="string" name="Alaska.custommovies">/Users/htpc/Pictures/Backdrops/Movies/</setting>

Of course, use your own path to some movie pictures.

It works here (although the pictures look stretched/cropped or something) Smile

I've been trying to get this to work for some time now. Do the image files need to be named anything in particular? I just get a white blank icon on the main menu. There has also been some conflicting posts on which xml file(s) need to be edited. Can someone please clear this up?

Thanks!
@indy5

In Home.xml

Find these lines:
Quote:<imagepath diffuse="home/homematte.png" fallback="special://skin/media/mainmenu/movies/default.png" background="true">$INFO[Skin.String(CustomMovies)]

The bolded part is where to put the path to your picture folder:
Quote:<imagepath diffuse="home/homematte.png" fallback="special://skin/media/mainmenu/movies/default.png" background="true">G:\Documents\XBMC\Backdrops\movies\</imagepath>

Then do the same for TV, Music, Pictures, etc...
Hitcher Wrote:Luckily I'm off this week.

Is there a donation site setup for the work that you and DJH are doing for the XBMC community?
mcborzu Wrote:@indy5

In Home.xml

Find these lines:

The bolded part is where to put the path to your picture folder:

Then do the same for TV, Music, Pictures, etc...

I'm not seeing the same syntax as you in my home.xml file. This is copied directly from the latest alaska from github:

<imagepath diffuse="home/homematte.png" fallback="special://skin/media/mainmenu/videos/default.png">$INFO[Skin.String(CustomVideos)]</imagepath>

There is nothing in here referring to "background"

Any ideas?
Thanks.
zman442 Wrote:Is there a donation site setup for the work that you and DJH are doing for the XBMC community?

Hitcher Wrote:Just donate to XBMC.

http://xbmc.org/contribute/donate/
Just got DialogVideoScan working per djh's mockups. Will post to github shortly.
Hitcher, the new home icons really don't fit this skin mate. Is it no longer an option to use the original ones from djh_'s mockups? Also I have gotten the home (BIG LETTER ITEM LABLE) to work quite nicely by just messing around a bit but I'm curious why it wasn't kept? My honest opinion is keep it.
indy5 Wrote:I've been trying to get this to work for some time now. Do the image files need to be named anything in particular? I just get a white blank icon on the main menu. There has also been some conflicting posts on which xml file(s) need to be edited. Can someone please clear this up?

Thanks!

I think I'd like to see this in the "ALASKA" area as a setting to toggle either "thumbs" as the main menu is currently and "icons". You could then set an image in the same way as the menu images are set in Aeon. We'll get to it eventually.

Edit: XBMCG33K, I agree, but others might prefer the new layout. I don't think it should be too much trouble to allow for either.
XBMCG33K Wrote:Hitcher, the new home icons really don't fit this skin mate. Is it no longer an option to use the original ones from djh_'s mockups? Also I have gotten the home (BIG LETTER ITEM LABLE) to work quite nicely by just messing around a bit but I'm curious why it wasn't kept? My honest opinion is keep it.

I agree. I tried Alaska and thumbs in main menu put off even my " i dont care what it looks like" girlfriend.

I still think Hitcher's AEON with nice big font scrolling was best design evah and these icons/thumbs are there just to reinvent the wheel here. I love everything about the skin except home screen :-) When its done i'll try to port AEON's home menu look to Alaska , if its possible and i'll have week off like Hitcher :-)
One thing I don't like is how the video scan covers the whole screen and blocks the skin. I have to sit and watch it complete before I can use my XBMC.
nvaia Wrote:Quick question for you Hitch, I have been messing around with the fonts but can't make the home page font look like this:

Any suggestions on how I can change this myself?

This looks indeed awesome! I really hope Hitcher can make it this way!
jaytyler Wrote:I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. Making something functional does not equate to having a dazzling array of buttons on every screen - it's about making the most used functions available in the easiest possible way and additional functions available, not always visible in order to simplify the interface as much as possible.

For instance, when a video is paused an average person doesn't expect to have to toggle to the correct button and then press enter to fast forward. They expect the right button to fast forward right away. Like a VCR.

In my opinion the best mapping of buttons and OSD would be:

Enter - Pauses and displays the OSD
Right - Fast Forwards
Left - Rewinds
Up - Displays buttons for lesser used functions such as playlists, subtitles, per file audio and per file video settings
Menu - Stops & Returns you to the menu

This is both intuitive to new users and provides access to all current functions. All whilst remaining easy to use and simple as per the spec for Alaska. I fear that if we wander too far down the current road of 'this is what the other skins do' then we're going to end up with a white flavour of Aeon, or at best a white version of the good bits of all existing skins.

We've got a real opportunity here to start again and look and what does, doesn't and possibly could work and implement the best of the great ideas people are coming up with. Let's be open minded.

It's not a matter of 'this is what the other skins do', it's a matter of making the skin usable for all users. I'm not saying that we can't do things differently to other skins, but users who have a limited number of buttons on their remote shouldn't be excluded from using this skin.
Nothing's set in stone, the focus at the moment is getting things working.
I resent words being put in my mouth. I never said we should have a "dazzling array of buttons on every screen" I was just making a point to those who said we should have none.
There's a balance between form and function. I don't want the scales tipped too far in either direction.
mindweaver Wrote:One thing I don't like is how the video scan covers the whole screen and blocks the skin. I have to sit and watch it complete before I can use my XBMC.

It shouldn't? Are you talking about the temporary one on Hitcher's github, or the one I just posted to mine?