Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
AnalogKid Wrote:It's part of the deal when you write open source code....
Folks can critique, modify, praise....whatever they like.

If folks don't like it, they should do private enterprise work instead, and assert their copyright.

I have no idea what they seriously expected when they created the thread. The moment it's made public domain... it's erm, in the domain of the public! no complaints.

Sometimes people should show a bit more respect and gratitude to those that are prepared to put in the time and effort to create stuff for others. If they ask for your opinion then you are entitled to give it but if they want to step back for a bit and develop it further before asking for everyone's opinion then that is their right.

Open source is just that, source that is opened up for the community. It isn't open season on their time and their decisions.

The sooner people realise that these developers are putting in their time and effort to create something for the community the easier it will be for them to go ahead and do it properly. Stare
I agree with the private threads and all that, but why a "secret" github.

Just post progress to github and stop reading this thread?

Nobody bothers the developers and people can still check out the latest changes etc.

Can't see a problem with that... Just my opinion.
I think even if they post to a public github there will be many more comments and opinions to this thread and I personally prefer the developers use whatever methods they prefer as long as Alaska sees the light of day.
grupy Wrote:I think even if they post to a public github there will be many more comments and opinions to this thread and I personally prefer the developers use whatever methods they prefer as long as Alaska sees the light of day.

But it doesn't matter what is posted in this thread, nobody has to read it.
skunkm0nkee Wrote:Sometimes people should show a bit more respect and gratitude to those that are prepared to put in the time and effort to create stuff for others. If they ask for your opinion then you are entitled to give it but if they want to step back for a bit and develop it further before asking for everyone's opinion then that is their right.

Open source is just that, source that is opened up for the community. It isn't open season on their time and their decisions.

The sooner people realise that these developers are putting in their time and effort to create something for the community the easier it will be for them to go ahead and do it properly. Stare

I didn't ask for yours, but I got it. It's how it works when I post here...
I put plenty of effort in here and many other projects outside of XBMC, so do many others.... it's a community and a great deal of folks bring something to the table.

Of course it's open season when source goes open. Everybody can do as they please with the code.

And yes of course it's their right to go private.... almost certainly a less troublesome way forward... this isn't the issue...

the issue is...
Once you create a thread here to discuss your product, you should expect comments on it... and if you're surprised that folks offer good and bad opinions, then you shouldn't have started the thread.
This isn't about Alaska, or any other contribution, just the nature of internet fora.
Even though it's a 'development' thread, many users believe they are contributing to the development via ad hoc bug reports, comments, design ideas etc etc. It's every bit as disrepectful to say "I'm coding it... so get stuffed". Then go away and code it... easy enough solution!

Exactly the same has happened in other threads where someone has posted "Here's my latest and greatest creation, almost ready to be released"... then get irritated when folks ask about progress. It's totally FINE for someone to keep the world informed on a little project they have going.... but once again, the moment you make an announcement, you cannot then complain when folks start feeding back!

This has nothing to do with the quality or appreciated of anybody's contribution, just about expectation when you open your work to the world.
WOW! I definitely didn't mean to start this arguement. I was just curious why there were no new github updates under Hitchers github account. The fact that they moved to a private forum isn't a big deal and should surprise nobody.

On a side note, does anybody know how to properly edit the "new" home.xml file in the new hitcherUK version of ALASKA? I want to put back the original icons and font like I have set up in the Sept.27 version of hitcher/alaska.
Let Hitcher and his crew work in their private forum and this thread can be used to discuss and post changes, mods and ideas for it. It's a win win for everyone.
AnalogKid Wrote:I didn't ask for yours, but I got it. It's how it works when I post here...
I put plenty of effort in here and many other projects outside of XBMC, so do many others.... it's a community and a great deal of folks bring something to the table.

Of course it's open season when source goes open. Everybody can do as they please with the code.

And yes of course it's their right to go private.... almost certainly a less troublesome way forward... this isn't the issue...

the issue is...
Once you create a thread here to discuss your product, you should expect comments on it... and if you're surprised that folks offer good and bad opinions, then you shouldn't have started the thread.
This isn't about Alaska, or any other contribution, just the nature of internet fora.
Even though it's a 'development' thread, many users believe they are contributing to the development via ad hoc bug reports, comments, design ideas etc etc. It's every bit as disrepectful to say "I'm coding it... so get stuffed". Then go away and code it... easy enough solution!

Exactly the same has happened in other threads where someone has posted "Here's my latest and greatest creation, almost ready to be released"... then get irritated when folks ask about progress. It's totally FINE for someone to keep the world informed on a little project they have going.... but once again, the moment you make an announcement, you cannot then complain when folks start feeding back!

This has nothing to do with the quality or appreciated of anybody's contribution, just about expectation when you open your work to the world.

Dude, you should chill out. In case you haven't noticed you're on your own on this one. This thread became a mess, so they moved. That's it.

As I can see you didn't contribute anything, not a single post be it to complain or help when the dev was still happening on this thread. So please don't bring all this negativity, let's keep things positive. We're all here because of the great job these guys are doing, let's recognize that, thank them for it, and end it there.
nvaia Wrote:On a side note, does anybody know how to properly edit the "new" home.xml file in the new hitcherUK version of ALASKA? I want to put back the original icons and font like I have set up in the Sept.27 version of hitcher/alaska.

Go to Settings>Alaska>Home>check Home 2

Oh, and I couldn't figure out which setting to check to get weather with icon view so this is what I did:

Includes.xml
Quote:<item id="7">
<description>Weather</description>
<label>8</label>
<include>BackgroundVarsWeather</include>
<onclick>xbmc.activatewindow(2600)</onclick>
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(weather)</visible>
</item>

change to:

Quote:<item id="7">
<description>Weather</description>
<label>8</label>
<icon>backdrops/weathericon.png</icon>
<onclick>xbmc.activatewindow(2600)</onclick>
<visible>!Skin.HasSetting(weather)</visible>
</item>
mcborzu Wrote:Go to Settings>Alaska>Home>check Home 2

Oh, and I couldn't figure out which setting to check to get weather with icon view so this is what I did:

Includes.xml

change to:

DUDE! I love you

Includes.xml

change to:

Wait, let's put a hold on that love for a second. Home 2 shows the window boxes in the home screen. I meant the original view, the ones with the icons that "were not given permission to use." One used to be able to edit the home.xml file to show the original icons, but this new home.xml file has completely different strings in it.
nvaia Wrote:Let Hitcher and his crew work in their private forum and this thread can be used to discuss and post changes, mods and ideas for it. It's a win win for everyone.

I don't think anybody has a problem with the private forum - that's fair enough. It's the 'secret' github forks that are the real issue.
jaytyler Wrote:I don't think anybody has a problem with the private forum - that's fair enough. It's the 'secret' github forks that are the real issue.

Well it's not that secret anymore is it? let's just be patient guys.

Includes.xml

change to:

If you want to do that nicely go to Includes_Backgrounds.xml and modify these lines :

Code:
<include name="BackgroundVarsWeatherSpring">
        <icon>special://skin/media/backdrops/spring/spring.png</icon>
        <imagepath>special://skin/media/backdrops/spring/spring.png</imagepath>        
    </include>

<include name="BackgroundVarsWeatherSummer">
        <icon>special://skin/media/backdrops/summer/summer.png</icon>
        <imagepath>special://skin/media/backdrops/summer/summer.png</imagepath>        
    </include>

<include name="BackgroundVarsWeatherWinter">
        <icon>special://skin/media/backdrops/winter/winter.png</icon>
        <imagepath>special://skin/media/backdrops/winter/winter.png</imagepath>        
    </include>

<include name="BackgroundVarsWeatherAutumn">
        <icon>special://skin/media/backdrops/autumn/autumn.png</icon>
        <imagepath>special://skin/media/backdrops/autumn/autumn.png</imagepath>        
    </include>    

<include name="BackgroundVarsWeather">
        <include condition="System.Date(03-21,06-21)">BackgroundVarsWeatherSpring</include>
        <include condition="System.Date(06-21,09-23)">BackgroundVarsWeatherSummer</include>
        <include condition="System.Date(12-21,03-21)">BackgroundVarsWeatherWinter</include>
        <include condition="System.Date(09-23,12-21)">BackgroundVarsWeatherAutumn</include>        
        <thumb>$INFO[Skin.String(CustomWeather)]</thumb>
        <info>Skin.String(CustomWeather)</info>        
    </include>
if anyone wants to see a low quality preview of alaska running on a htpc....
I made one Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJlzCe-pBFs