Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
rob151515 Wrote:Thanks for uploading these Hitcher!

please make it by default if possible. Looks great.
_someone_ Wrote:Hitcher didn't say that it's impossible Wink

I fully understand if he doesn't want to include it. I'm the creator of PlexAlaska and it was really awful to realize it for the default home screen. That's why I limited it to a few items, also in PlexAlaska you can't disable all categories.
Yeah, not impossible just a nightmare working out all the slide animations, etc.
Now this has been brought to my attention mind if I use the code?

neurosis13 Wrote:please make it by default if possible. Looks great.
The original idea was to keep the skin size as small as possible but I suppose when it's eventually released we could have Alaska_Slim and Alaska_Fat.
Hitcher Wrote:The original idea was to keep the skin size as small as possible but I suppose when it's eventually released we could have Alaska_Slim and Alaska_Fat.

Just like Aeon and all the other skins?
Hitcher Wrote:Yeah, not impossible just a nightmare working out all the slide animations, etc.
Now this has been brought to my attention mind if I use the code?
Take whatever you want Smile But in the meantime there are a couple of differences between PlexAlaska and the original one.

That are the commits: Part1, Part2

Because of the nightmare I limited it to: Appstore (at the position of XBMC's "Games"), Videos, Pictures, Weather, Quit
Hey Hitcher, superb job on the skin.

I know it's a bit too early for requests, but there is one thing that's been bugging me in every single skin. Maybe it's best to suggest changes on this stage than wait for it to be done and complain.

Cover flow is too small. It works great for movies (were the visual effect comes from the combo Cover + Background).

But when it comes to music, the focus should be 100% on the album art. Don't you think it's a good idea to make those cover larger? I would sure love to see all the nice details on "Sgt. Peppers" cover in my 52".

Thx.
i might have missed something in the 100+ pages of comments , but is CF's git no longer merging with Hitcher's ?

CF has this cool home menu addition (the down-arrow opens extra features) which you can see in action here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdM2cOkJkg which has not been merged into Hitcher's Alaska.
davgoust Wrote:i might have missed something in the 100+ pages of comments , but is CF's git no longer merging with Hitcher's ?

CF has this cool home menu addition (the down-arrow opens extra features) which you can see in action here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdM2cOkJkg which has not been merged into Hitcher's Alaska.

Yes CF2009 has stopped working on Alaska for the time being and that's as much as I know before anyone asks why Smile
Discaciate Wrote:Hey Hitcher, superb job on the skin.

I know it's a bit too early for requests, but there is one thing that's been bugging me in every single skin. Maybe it's best to suggest changes on this stage than wait for it to be done and complain.

Cover flow is too small. It works great for movies (were the visual effect comes from the combo Cover + Background).

But when it comes to music, the focus should be 100% on the album art. Don't you think it's a good idea to make those cover larger? I would sure love to see all the nice details on "Sgt. Peppers" cover in my 52".

Thx.
I'm a bit confused, Alaska doesn't have a Coverflow view.
davgoust Wrote:i might have missed something in the 100+ pages of comments , but is CF's git no longer merging with Hitcher's ?

Whoa, that is sweet. Nice, simple, clean and straightforward like this skin should be. I hope they consider adding this at some time.
sialivi Wrote:Thank you for taking my request/suggestion into consideration. Considering sync is an issue I actually wouldn't mind a totally random update interval for each image transition.

Yeah, I like the transitions as well and think having a random update interval would be great.

By the way, great work on the skin! It's easily become my favourite skin and I look forwards to seeing the final release.
Hitcher,

I have downloaded your home menu artwork packs, thanks!

But, when I choose "Set Home Movie Artwork Folder" in Settings, I can't see any folders and I can't browse for them?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6 and XBMC svn build 248xx.

Any ideas?
Ayla Wrote:I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6 and XBMC svn build 248xx.
It's a bug thats been fixed http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7445 in a newer SVN build I think.
is there a way to set weather backdrop folder? itseems to be missing from the settings
btw, i have a crash whenever trying to enter programs too, and it's not happening with a different skin, namely aeon Phil65
in the log (not debug) i see:
Code:
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2865074176   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Home.xml) ------
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2865090560    INFO: Attempting to default to:
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2864963584   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (MyPrograms.xml) ------
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2864963584    INFO: Loading skin file: MyPrograms.xml
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2864963584 WARNING: Skin has invalid include: Animation_FilesInfoSlide
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2864963584 WARNING: Skin has invalid include: Animation_FilesInfoSlide
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2865115136 WARNING: CUtil::GetMatchingSource... no matching source found for [Plugins programmi]
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2865115136   DEBUG: Load MyPrograms.xml: 149.53ms
18:35:23 T:3078789008 M:2865115136 WARNING: CreateFile, successfuly opened </home/succhenrica/.xbmc/skin/Alaska/media/scrollbarv.png> instead of </home/succhenrica/.xbmc/skin/Alaska/media/ScrollBarV.png>
Hitcher Wrote:You can't turn off any options when using the default Home layout - it's too complicated.

I see that you have now managed to do this. Fantastic - thanks. Big Grin
I've just tried this skin so far...

man, this is GREAT. So simple yet elegant... I love red-on-white contrast.

There are a few mini-issues stopping me from use it right now:

- Volume indicator. The red icon is eye-catchy and stylish. Love it. Only problem is the text itself, which is readable only in menus, and most of the time unreadable while a video is playing.
My suggestion would be to move to a completely graphic solution, like a bar aside of the actual red icon, rather than numbers (which would require a darker background to be readable, breaking the minimalism of the skin)

- Menu voice readability. I can't really distinguish the selected menu (color difference is too little on TV)

Then, an issue that I consider more important

- Font size for data, plot... is too little. I'm using a 26" LCD TV 720p, and this is unreadable farther than 1 meter. Please, consider adding an option for a bigger fontset in menu (I know I can tinker with xml file, but that's not userfriendly for the masses)

Hope something useful can come out from my feedback.
I'll follow this skin development... very closely !
Regards