Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
garvani Wrote:+1 to an alaska subforum. The requests are getting out of hand! maybe a private thread for hitcher, cf2009 and other contributors to discuss in so they can get the work done without all the requests/whining?

I think people just need to learn to read ... No End-User Support Requests! Only skinners and graphic artists.

Rolleyes
garvani Wrote:Hitcher and cf2009 are getting alaska completed first. There will be no mods for alaska until it is completed as to DJH's original intention. ?

I modded it tonight if anyone is interested didnt get to take a screen shot but I have the large faded letters displaying the titles TV SHOWS, MOVIES, and etc..

but instead of those icons I rescaled the current boxed pictures down and to a 1.77 ratio to preserve background quality, and also have it set to scroll through my backgrounds. If anyone is interested in this until a more stable form comes out let me know (not to steal the thread) just trying to give as many options as possible. Rolleyes
redtapemedia Wrote:I think people just need to learn to read ... No End-User Support Requests! Only skinners and graphic artists.

Rolleyes

that doesn't even work for topics nailed down to the xbmc frontpage. give the ppl access and they behave exactly like this. (i even do that out of curiosity with the xbmc dx builds for myself)

an extremely +1 for keeping the process of finishing the skin internal. talented contributors can show off their work in here so they gain access to the worker's barebone then, ppl just asking about alaska suiting their desires & how to find grandma's teeth in the skin need to keep out the door. there's too much noise in here to concentrate on development.
myanek05 Wrote:I modded it tonight if anyone is interested didnt get to take a screen shot but I have the large faded letters displaying the titles TV SHOWS, MOVIES, and etc..

but instead of those icons I rescaled the current boxed pictures down and to a 1.77 ratio to preserve background quality, and also have it set to scroll through my backgrounds. If anyone is interested in this until a more stable form comes out let me know (not to steal the thread) just trying to give as many options as possible. Rolleyes

Id like to give your version a try.
Hitcher Wrote:No, it'll be optional as the other look is what Duncan intended Alaska to look like and I'm waiting for permission to use them.

Come on! :-) It is your (and people involved) skin, not Duncans anymore. Further more, Duncan made a concept, who knows with what he would end, if he continued development.

I would suggest going on in your own steps, hoping that Duncan comment it along the lines.
Well he's already stated that the window version was how it's meant to be so what's wrong with the icons still being optional?

Besides, it looks like we can't use the icons anymore anyway as I've heard back from the designer -
Quote:I'm glad to hear you are enjoying my work! Thanks for your kind comments ^_^

Unfortunately these icons are copyrighted by the Iconfactory and they don't allow for use except on your own desktop, they are kind of our way of advertising and drawing in clients. Thanks for understanding.

Take care!
David
Also, taken from IconFactory website -
Quote:The Iconfactory makes this content available only for personal, desktop use. All copyrights remain the property of their respective holders.
This leaves me a little worried because we're already using a lot of the smaller icons in the skin.
Hitcher Wrote:This leaves me a little worried because we're already using a lot of the smaller icons in the skin.
Which other icons are in use? The icons on the settings page?
Weavus Wrote:Which other icons are in use? The icons on the settings page?
Yes, and the download progress one but we're also making our own in the same style.
What happens if we just make all our own and not use any from the icon pack?
I mean a red circle with universal symbols would be OK wouldn't they?
You could try asking the Iconfactory if you could use them in this non-commercial skin if you give credits... It's a bit of a long shot, but worth trying, I guess.
Anyone know of a place where there's free icons?
Hitcher Wrote:Yes, and the download progress one but we're also making our own in the same style.
What happens if we just make all our own and not use any from the icon pack?
I mean a red circle with universal symbols would be OK wouldn't they?

If you remake them from scratch there is nothing they can do even if you copied the style. Same thing happened with Microsoft and the mc360 skin
Just keep the red base for the Settings ones and replace the white glyphs on top - problem solved. Hell, I'll do it if you like. Obviously, you'll have to bin the ones on the front page asap. If you remember, the reason they went in the first place was because no one seemed to like them, which of course changed as soon something else came along. I dare say that if/when you put new ones in a whole new gang of naysayers will come out of the woodwork. Nothing you do is going to get much encouragement here, unfortunately, so you'll be needing that private forum sooner rather than later.
djh_ Wrote:I dare say that if/when you put new ones in a whole new gang of naysayers will come out of the woodwork. Nothing you do is going to get much encouragement here, unfortunately, so you'll be needing that private forum sooner rather than later.
Do I detect a smidgen of prior experience in this matter?

As for the settings icons, I think the general artwork style is good but the actual look of them isnt really important as I couldnt tell what any of them did without looking at the text description anyway.
I started doing some glyphs for the UMx project-- Icons similar in style to those on the settings page... I could dig them out, I have them around here somewhere. Not a full set but I can make some more.
Jezz_X Wrote:If you remake them from scratch there is nothing they can do even if you copied the style. Same thing happened with Microsoft and the mc360 skin

djh_ Wrote:Just keep the red base for the Settings ones and replace the white glyphs on top - problem solved. Hell, I'll do it if you like. Obviously, you'll have to bin the ones on the front page asap. If you remember, the reason they went in the first place was because no one seemed to like them, which of course changed as soon something else came along. I dare say that if/when you put new ones in a whole new gang of naysayers will come out of the woodwork. Nothing you do is going to get much encouragement here, unfortunately, so you'll be needing that private forum sooner rather than later.

This sounds like the best idea for the small red ones. As for the home menu ones, if we come up some default ones there's nothing stopping the user downloading the original ones for personal use.

Thanks.