Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
stoli Wrote:The first alpha version of the skin hasn't even been released yet - be patient.

oh i kno...i was just bringin it to their attention
So has development on this just stopped? I haven't seen an update in a week so I hope you guys don't give up on this seeing as this is the best looking skin available or in development.
nvaia Wrote:So has development on this just stopped? I haven't seen an update in a week so I hope you guys don't give up on this seeing as this is the best looking skin available or in development.

I think a lack of updates in this thread would mean that end-user interaction has halted - definitely not that development has stopped, as they already mentioned they moved to a private forum for actual development.
rausch101 Wrote:I think a lack of updates in this thread would mean that end-user interaction has halted - definitely not that development has stopped, as they already mentioned they moved to a private forum for actual development.

Yeah, that was to be expected. I was more curious about the lack of updates on github.
nvaia Wrote:Yeah, that was to be expected. I was more curious about the lack of updates on github.

Take a look at the network:

http://github.com/Hitcher/Alaska/network

Only thing I noticed is that the development stopped after 2 Oct. Maybe they changed to a different branch.
Nothing special, just what I'm working on right now.
erhnam Wrote:I found the new branch Smile

here: http://github.com/A-laska/skin

and here:

http://github.com/HitcherUK/skin/

Why all the secrecy I wonder? Fair enough if they don't want input - they don't need to read to forums. djh used to disappear for a while and then return but would still upload to gitbub in the meanwhile. Why try and keep us out?
I'm not too sure, I just forked the repo and started hacking away on what needed to be done. Tackling the small redundant things like filemanager, filebrowsers, favorites, reworking control graphics, etc...
jaytyler Wrote:Why all the secrecy I wonder? Fair enough if they don't want input - they don't need to read to forums. djh used to disappear for a while and then return but would still upload to gitbub in the meanwhile. Why try and keep us out?

There was far too much discussion of about bugs or how ppl didnt like certain aspects that the developers that kindly took upon this project needed to a thread where only developers would make posts and not deal with users providing their input....after all that is the main purpose of the Skin Development thread.

Anyhow, like most users Im also waiting to see what the end product will be of Alaska and now like everyone else, will have to wait patiently for it.
grupy Wrote:There was far too much discussion of about bugs or how ppl didnt like certain aspects that the developers that kindly took upon this project needed to a thread where only developers would make posts and not deal with users providing their input....after all that is the main purpose of the Skin Development thread.

Anyhow, like most users Im also waiting to see what the end product will be of Alaska and now like everyone else, will have to wait patiently for it.

Well put good sir.
I wouldn't doubt it was moved to another location as to keep development under control. Kind of sucks to have a million people saying "my opinion this, and my opinion that". If it were me I'd have it hosted somewhere private, but then again that's just me.
XBMCG33K Wrote:I wouldn't doubt it was moved to another location as to keep development under control. Kind of sucks to have a million people saying "my opinion this, and my opinion that". If it were me I'd have it hosted somewhere private, but then again that's just me.

It's part of the deal when you write open source code....
Folks can critique, modify, praise....whatever they like.

If folks don't like it, they should do private enterprise work instead, and assert their copyright.

I have no idea what they seriously expected when they created the thread. The moment it's made public domain... it's erm, in the domain of the public! no complaints.

If someone says "look at me, look at me!!".... I have no idea why they then ask "why's everybody looking at me?" - it beggar's belief.

It's good this internet innit?
I created the thread because we needed somewhere to discuss development but it soon became quite clear that wouldn't work so we moved.

It's not like we're stopping anyone else doing whatever they want with the code.
I think its awesome that you moved it to a more private discussion for the development of Alaska and more importantly that there are some developers that have taken upon themselves to complete this project as its a skin that a lot of XBMC users are looking to test and use.