Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you very much for Alaska! I LOVE this skin! Cool I have some notes and suggestions:

- How about moving the selected movie on the movies screen a bit to the left? There's much unused space and it would make more space for long movie titles. Furthermore, movie titles and genres should be allowed to stretch over more than one line if too long.

- The "merged" media flags in Alaska are a GREAT idea! Just please change the Audio flag back to how it was (like on the screenshot below), format on the left and channels on the right. It does not make much sense to me to have the channels on the left, and it looks much more balanced with that info on the right side. Dark field, light field, dark field, light field, dark field, light field, dark field. You get what I mean. Wink

- Special characters in genres don't look right. See this screenshot (The highlighted character should be "Ö"):

- It would be great to have more direct access to playing the trailer for a movie. How about adding it to the starting playback dialogue? Like "Play from Beginning", "Play from xx:xx", "Play Trailer"?
Mityama Wrote:It would be great to have more direct access to playing the trailer for a movie. How about adding it to the starting playback dialogue? Like "Play from Beginning", "Play from xx:xx", "Play Trailer"?

That's an XBMC feature request and not something that can be set from the skin.
Mityama Wrote:- The "merged" media flags in Alaska are a GREAT idea! Just please change the Audio flag back to how it was (like on the screenshot below), format on the left and channels on the right. It does not make much sense to me to have the channels on the left, and it looks much more balanced with that info on the right side. Dark field, light field, dark field, light field, dark field, light field, dark field. You get what I mean. Wink

I changed it in my repo. I guess Hitcher can pull the changes tomorrow. There are now also updated codec images that have higher resolution and should look better scaled.

Mityama Wrote:- Special characters in genres don't look right. See this screenshot (The highlighted character should be "Ö"):

Looks like it might be an issue with the font. Maybe it doesn't include those characters (äöuÄÖÜ). Don't know who made the font or how to modify it to fix this.
I have been lookiing forward to trying Alaska since the screenshots first popped up, and now that I can try it out, its just AMAZING.

I am running Revision 23973 DX on Windows 7.

The Conditional Weather option appears to not work at all, since it breaks the homescreen multi-image for Weather if it is enabled. If I turn the option off and point the customweatherpath at my non-sorted weather folder it works fine.
I believe the studio flags are not working for me. For all my movies and TV series I get stuff like this displayed:

I assume the right-most flag is the studio flag? I used Ember Media Manager to set most of my movie tags and the studio flags work properly on other skins with the same media library, so that implies (to me) its an issue in the skin. Not sure though...

In Music, in the Wall Viewtype, it would be a little better to have some sort of information about the currently-highlighted item, since otherwise its easy to get lost.

Also would it be possible to make the Files viewtype work the same at the Album level that it does on the Artist level? by that I mean display info about the currently highlighted album. That feature at the artist level is super nice!

This skin is amazing!!!!!!!
SleepyP Wrote:I have been lookiing forward to trying Alaska since the screenshots first popped up, and now that I can try it out, its just AMAZING.

The Conditional Weather option appears to not work at all, since it breaks the homescreen multi-image for Weather if it is enabled. If I turn the option off and point the customweatherpath at my non-sorted weather folder it works fine.
I believe the studio flags are not working for me. For all my movies and TV series I get stuff like this displayed:

I assume the right-most flag is the studio flag? I used Ember Media Manager to set most of my movie tags and the studio flags work properly on other skins with the same media library, so that implies (to me) its an issue in the skin. Not sure though...

In Music, in the Wall Viewtype, it would be a little better to have some sort of information about the currently-highlighted item, since otherwise its easy to get lost.

Please read the first post and download the extra package.
I didn't put them into the "extras" subdirectory. Kinda strange, but OK.... Tongue
mcborzu Wrote:I posted this...HERE...in Brams77 XBOX thread, with an option in Misc. settings to disable Fanart.

If you compress the images into a .xpr the skin runs great, disabling Fanart it runs even better...though setting icons aren't showing, I forgot to look into why that's happening.

thanks very much, have done both of those and runs a lot better on the appletv Smile

with regards to the settings icons, I just left them in media/settings/ and didn't compress them and they're working for me Smile
This is not a request of the guys working on Alaska (although they're more than welcome to help me Wink) but more for anyone with skinning knowledge, would it be hard to have the fancy rounded cover/poster art like in Aeon?

I don't have the hardware capable of using Aeon as my skin, and absolutely love Alaska, and think the rounded corner posters are beautiful.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I have no knowledge of skinning, nor do I want to spend hours learning (flame me if you like, but at least I'm honest about it! Smile)

Cheers,

Jason.
ccMatrix Wrote:Please read the first post and download the extra package.

I've already done that, and I too see ?'s

Also can't see weather backgrounds, alot of text is hard to read (near white, on a white background) and alot of the menus run together. If someone tells me how to take screenshots in the Live linux version, I'll take some and post what i mean.
On the conditional weather thing does one still need to do the other repoinstaller jargon that I have forgotten about?
Evanrich Wrote:I've already done that, and I too see ?'s

Also can't see weather backgrounds, alot of text is hard to read (near white, on a white background) and alot of the menus run together. If someone tells me how to take screenshots in the Live linux version, I'll take some and post what i mean.

Pretty sure its the PrintScreen.
Hitcher Wrote:You'll have to edit your guisettings.xml (found in your USERDATA folder) and add the paths to these settings -
Code:
<setting type="string" name="Alaska.customprograms"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.custompictures"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.customvideos"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.custommusic"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.custommovies"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.customtv"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.customweather"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.customsettings"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="Alaska.customgames"></setting>

Could you give a little more detail or an example on this one Hitcher? feeling kinda lost on this one.

Also is there a plan to add something in the setting for this in the future? just wondering.

Thanks!
thesoulhacker Wrote:Could you give a little more detail or an example on this one Hitcher? feeling kinda lost on this one.

Also is there a plan to add something in the setting for this in the future? just wondering.

Thanks!
Just enter the path where you have them stored.

ie
Code:
<setting type="string" name="Alaska.custommovies">C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\backdrops\movies\</setting>

And, yes I'll get around to adding them to the Settings some when.
SleepyP Wrote:I have been lookiing forward to trying Alaska since the screenshots first popped up, and now that I can try it out, its just AMAZING.

Evanrich Wrote:I've already done that, and I too see ?'s

It definitely sounds like you guys haven't downloaded the 'extras' folder as that's where all the Studio and Weather stuff it kept.
garyi Wrote:On the conditional weather thing does one still need to do the other repoinstaller jargon that I have forgotten about?
No, it's only using the standard XBMC weather scraper.
I've downloaded the extras file, and it works in most instances, but not all (particularly my hi-def WMV files)

I should add it works on the resolution (1080/720 etc) and the aspect ratio, and knows that they're 5.1 audio, but doesn't display that they are HD WMVs nor does it show the audio codec (dolby digital / dts etc)