Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Regarding the discussion about wrapped lists vs. fixed lists, I was wondering how the new movie "Sets" could be tailored for this. It appears that Sets work as a wrapped list, meaning any trilogy you may have, will show many repeated entries on the screen at one time (Back to the Future, Back to the Future 2, Back to the Future 3, Back to the Future, Back to the Future 2, etc).

It would probably make sense to have the Set view work much like the season view, where you could only see each entry once, before the list would jump back to the beginning.

Is there anything specific in Alaska for the new Set view, or does this just work as a default of XBMC at the moment?

Thanks!
Hitcher Wrote:Believe me it doesn't look nice at all. After a while they're all out of sync.

I'll post a video soon.

EDIT: Here you go -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvQiYOzvVI

Thank you for taking my request/suggestion into consideration. Considering sync is an issue I actually wouldn't mind a totally random update interval for each image transition.
How exactly do sets work at the moment? How do you create them in XBMC so I can try to reproduce this?
ccMatrix Wrote:How exactly do sets work at the moment? How do you create them in XBMC so I can try to reproduce this?

In the nfo file for each movie of a set, you can simply add this:

<set>The Matrix Trilogy</set>

Afterwards, you may need to remove each movie from the library and then run a library update. It will then make a new entry in your list called "The Matrix Trilogy" and when you select it, it will bring up a new submenu with each of the 3 movies inside.
Hitcher Wrote:Believe me it doesn't look nice at all. After a while they're all out of sync.

I'll post a video soon.

EDIT: Here you go -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvQiYOzvVI

this effect is certainly 'different' and some psychologists would have a field day try to explain how.... but... imo, it gives the 'feeling' of being sluggish. I absolutely understand it's perception only, it just looks like it's a slow PC trying to update the screen.

I'm not sure if XBMC's component transition effects support 'ease in' and 'ease out' (too lazy to look at the documentation again), but if it does, a sort of reverse in (where the final 300ms of a fade in accelerate to fully opaque) can give an impression of improved speed / responsiveness.
Possibly achievable with 2 or 3 fades....

Fade 1: 100% transparent > 40% 750ms
Fade 2: 40% > 20% 400ms
Fade 3: 20% >0% 200ms

also, if you expand the image to 110% of size, then back to 100% over a 150ms time frame.... this can give a nice 'punch' effect (best used on focus selection or single component selections)

Very very nice skin by the way!... I'm slowly warming to the lightness, but not sure I'll ever fully love it. The darker diffusion and colour scheme variant is appealing (to me), but not quite 'Alaska' then is it?. Unless it was Alaska Moonlight edition ;-)
indy5 Wrote:In the nfo file for each movie of a set, you can simply add this:

<set>The Matrix Trilogy</set>

Afterwards, you may need to remove each movie from the library and then run a library update. It will then make a new entry in your list called "The Matrix Trilogy" and when you select it, it will bring up a new submenu with each of the 3 movies inside.

Oh, I don't use any nfo files. I thought there might be a built in dialog or something for it. Similar to the "link to tv show" feature. I might have to create a test-setup for that - don't want to kill my main database.
Hitcher Wrote:I'll be getting some packs together later today.

EDIT: And they'll be family friendly so there's no embarrassing moments caused by Gillian Anderson's cleavage.

Hate You! Coke > Laugh > Coke > Nose > Pain! Laugh
indy5 Wrote:Regarding the discussion about wrapped lists vs. fixed lists, I was wondering how the new movie "Sets" could be tailored for this. It appears that Sets work as a wrapped list, meaning any trilogy you may have, will show many repeated entries on the screen at one time (Back to the Future, Back to the Future 2, Back to the Future 3, Back to the Future, Back to the Future 2, etc).

It would probably make sense to have the Set view work much like the season view, where you could only see each entry once, before the list would jump back to the beginning.

Is there anything specific in Alaska for the new Set view, or does this just work as a default of XBMC at the moment?

Thanks!
Well if I can get IntegerGreaterThan working then it'll automatically switch depending on the number of items in the list but I've not had a response from any of the developers yet.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60586

AnalogKid Wrote:this effect is certainly 'different' and some psychologists would have a field day try to explain how.... but... imo, it gives the 'feeling' of being sluggish. I absolutely understand it's perception only, it just looks like it's a slow PC trying to update the screen.

I'm not sure if XBMC's component transition effects support 'ease in' and 'ease out' (too lazy to look at the documentation again), but if it does, a sort of reverse in (where the final 300ms of a fade in accelerate to fully opaque) can give an impression of improved speed / responsiveness.
Possibly achievable with 2 or 3 fades....

Fade 1: 100% transparent > 40% 750ms
Fade 2: 40% > 20% 400ms
Fade 3: 20% >0% 200ms

also, if you expand the image to 110% of size, then back to 100% over a 150ms time frame.... this can give a nice 'punch' effect (best used on focus selection or single component selections)

Very very nice skin by the way!... I'm slowly warming to the lightness, but not sure I'll ever fully love it. The darker diffusion and colour scheme variant is appealing (to me), but not quite 'Alaska' then is it?. Unless it was Alaska Moonlight edition ;-)
I think I might have changed the transition speed somewhere along the line which would explain the sluggishness.

What I was trying to show with both videos was how to make the panels change one after the other as opposed to at the same time but as you can see neither is perfect.

It would work perfectly if I could work out how to add a delay to each panels loading of the time per image but only at WindowOpen. Huh
Hitcher Wrote:Well if I can get IntegerGreaterThan working then it'll automatically switch depending on the number of items in the list but I've not had a response from any of the developers yet.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60586

I think I might have changed the transition speed somewhere along the line which would explain the sluggishness.

What I was trying to show with both videos was how to make the panels change one after the other as opposed to at the same time but as you can see neither is perfect.

It would work perfectly if I could work out how to add a delay to each panels loading of the time per image but only at WindowOpen. Huh

Bit out of my depth with regard to XBMC skinning, but could you do this:

Image 1
fade from 0% to 0% for 0ms
fade from 0% to 100% in 1000ms
fade from 100% to 100% in 1000ms

Image 2
fade from 0% to 0% for 500ms
fade from 100% to 100% in 500ms

Image 3
fade from 0% to 0% for 1000ms
fade from 100% to 100% in 0ms

Get the idea? the total animation time for each image is 2000ms (keeping them in sync) but by offsetting the start of the 0 to 100% fade, you get a sweeping effect across the 3 (or more) images. If you can loop these fades, they will by 'synched' but out of phase :-)
edit: scratch that, somehow the name was missing from my library. strange.
AnalogKid Wrote:Bit out of my depth with regard to XBMC skinning, but could you do this:

Image 1
fade from 0% to 0% for 0ms
fade from 100% to 100% in 1000ms

Image 2
fade from 0% to 0% for 500ms
fade from 100% to 100% in 500ms

Image 3
fade from 0% to 0% for 1000ms
fade from 100% to 100% in 0ms

Get the idea? the total animation time for each image is 2000ms (keeping them in sync) but by offsetting the start of the 0 to 100% fade, you get a sweeping effect across the 3 (or more) images. If you can loop these fades, they will by 'synched' but out of phase :-)

Unfortunately any fading of multi-images is controlled by <fadetime></fadetime>.
Hitcher Wrote:You can't turn off any options when using the default Home layout - it's too complicated.

PlexAlaska has it I believe:

http://github.com/gelsner/PlexAlaska
sandman4sure Wrote:PlexAlaska has it I believe:

http://github.com/gelsner/PlexAlaska
Hitcher didn't say that it's impossible Wink

I fully understand if he doesn't want to include it. I'm the creator of PlexAlaska and it was really awful to realize it for the default home screen. That's why I limited it to a few items, also in PlexAlaska you can't disable all categories.
Hitcher Wrote:Multi-image packs now available (see first post for links).

Simply unRAR them wherever you like and use the Artwork Settings to select them.

Thanks for uploading these Hitcher!
nothing has been said about it but the tv rating flags are working. great job guys!

also...i cannot get writer to show up. i have the director field filled in and directed by show up but even with a writer field nothing shows up in written by (for TV episodes)

and one more quick ?, is it possible for the cast to scroll? thanks guys love this skin