Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From a distance of only a couple of metres the information for movies in 'movie information' is just to damn small. This tiny text mixed with the fan art background transparency makes it almost impossible to read.

I understand that primary development will take place at a computer screen but please consider in the final analysis how skins are likely to be viewed. 12 point text* on a coloured back ground at 3 metres even on a large screen is just not a good thing!

*Or what ever size it is.
I develop this skin from my couch on a 42" 1080p screen about 9 feet away, so I do take this stuff into consideration.
mots Wrote:I preferred the old animation, could you make it optional if you decide to implement it?

This is the kind of thing you don't make as an option. It's just one of those small things that once you add a toggle for that, you might as well add a toggle for how many pixels from the left a poster is.

Sorry.
OlafBerserker77 Wrote:I develop this skin from my couch on a 42" 1080p screen about 9 feet away, so I do take this stuff into consideration.
Same here.
I am really enjoying this skin so far, keep up the good work guys.
I understand that it is still under construction, but there are two things that are bugging me a little at the moment.
The watched overlay doesn't always seem to work, especially in the episodes/TV section.
I would like the option to turn off some of the sections in the main menu, e.g. just have Movie, TV Shows and Settings.

It looks awesome on my new 40 inch Samsung LED, and I don't seem to have any issues with text size.
So what we are saying is I have poor eye sight? Well I wear glasses but they are in current spec, the text for information is too small. I am really glad you boys own 42 inch screens, mine is a mere 32 inch but could still be considered a decent size, and further more with scrolling action and the vast space available there is no excuse other than aesthetics not not ensure people can actually read it comfortably. I love how this skin is developing but I am telling you now the combination of small flat text on colourful transparencies is poor poor poor. Make the text bigger! Wink
Easy there killer. /me slowly steps off nerve.....
i also like homescreen 3. in my humble opinion much better than default even if its over the top simple :-)

I'd like to know what homescreen2 looks like though ... i get blank screen and have to blindly navigate to settings and change it back to homescreen3. I dont need to troubleshoot it now as its still work in progress but is there a screenshot somewhere ?

thanks
Sorry got a bit pissed last night. Text is still small this morning though Wink
I think the font size is pretty standard for most XMBC skins. There are, however, a few skins out there that are specifically tailored to smaller screen sizes that you could take a look at if you much prefer larger font/user interface. Here's one.
I have to say I really like Alaska. I even like it more than Aeon as it is so clean. But I had to switch back to Aeon because I just couldn't read the plots anymore in Alaska. I don't know if it is the font size or the combination of text color and background color but I had to move 1 meter towards the screen to be able to read it (moving my TV and/or couch isn't really an option though).

If I find some time I will try to play around a bit with the font size and/or the colors and see what gives the best result.
The size is absolutely ok on my 46" if I sit 6-9 feet away but if I lie on my bed ~13feet away, then I still can read it but it's not optimal... maybe try to increase the contrast between text & background first. Lower the background transparency in the movie info and make the font a little bit darker.
Try out the latest build - I've updated the colours.
All of a sudden (after downloading the latest revision) when pressing "back" from the movies menu I get to menu with "Genres", "Title" and when pressing "back" again I see the menu with "Recently added ...", "Playlists". After a third press I get to the root menu. Is there a way to disable this if it's meant to be that way?
(I know I can remap my remote so that the back button goes straight to the root from the movie menu but is there a easier way and is it supposed to be like that?)
If you checked the commits you'd see why I've done this - it's the only way, at the moment, to get to those categories. If you want to get back to the Home screen use Esc.