Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alaska development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just to throw my oar in as well, i found some quite nice icons on deviantart here

http://ipapun.deviantart.com/art/Media-I...0#comments

don't know if they are free to use (you'd have to ask) but i think they would fit in with the theme of nice and simple. Especially if they were inside red circles to match the icons in the settings screen. It would then be keeping some kind of conistency throughout the skin. Just a thought Big Grin

edit: Something like this could work as well. Image
medicineuk Wrote:Just another plus one for djh comment above. I personally feel that this new homepage style with the icons etc really doesn't fit in with Alaska overall design style I would imagine that's why djh dropped the idea in the first place. The icons make the theme look very cliche, which is far remove from the elegance of the old homepage. The large type feels a bit cold and techno 90's. The focus really needs to be kept on white space and typography otherwise this is going to end up very run of the mill. I think this is a case of to many chiefs at the moment and we need to get this moved in to some sort of private forum.

Hitcher please don't get disheartened by any of the above, your work is very much appreciated. Your aces Nod

You are doing a great job, Hitch...If you aren't right on track for what djh intended, you're pretty damn close.
There are these icons over at DeviantArt which are completely free to use http://sekkyumu.deviantart.com/art/Devel...s-63052312

The nice thing about these icons is that they should fit in nicely with the style you're shooting for. Hope it helps.

I think that in order for the icons to be a success, they really need to have that 3-D rendered, refined, unique look to them. Otherwise the current fanart-thumb home screen will probably win outright.

Also, it might be a good idea to create a sub-topic specifically addressing the icons once a sub-forum is created for Alaska so that Hitcher can let that sort itself out while he lends himself to more important things.
Here's my modded home page that I made. I think it best fits my likings. The images for the movies and such play my backgrounds that I had from original Aeon. I have it set to their folder! If you like I can post it I just thought Id give my creative aspect.

Got to agree there's no point littering this thread with icons when it will be so easy just to replace the ones Hitcher includes if you don't like them

Personally I don't like public development of anything especially skins as it just ends up looking like all the rest which is pointless, but as they say the cat is already out of the bag Big Grin its a bit like developing a site for someone and giving them say in every aspect of the design in other words a bloody nightmare Laugh
Hitcher Wrote:I was a bit disheartened with your first comment but your other one clarified things a bit for me.

Sorry about that; the last thing I want to do is suggest I'm not enormously grateful for what you're doing, and indeed what you've done for Aeon over the last few months. My frustration was more with the thread as a whole.

While it's easy to say that Hitcher and co. can happily follow their own route, I can say from experience that it's impossible under conditions like these. When you're given an opposing view for every single aspect of what you're doing, clarity is the first thing that goes. Add to that Photoshop images, code snippets, and proposals upon proposals that weren't even agreed in the first place, and you have a disaster in the making.

This was bound to happen, of course, what with the impromptu nature of it all. A private development forum is really the only solution, though that doesn't preclude a public outlet for screenshots, etc. It's up to Hitcher and his team, should he decide to define one, if and when that comes about.

You asked about my ideas for the rest of the skin; really, I didn't have any. What I came up with is what's already there. IMO, the important thing from here is to stick to the principles you've already discussed. The context menus you're currently wrestling with weren't actually part of the design, just placeholders. The context menu I had in mind would have the same design and animation style as the up/down menus in the media windows. I don't think XBMC would make that easy, though.

As for custom backdrops on the homepage, no, I hadn't planned those. They wouldn't work, basically, as they'd be covered by the icons and the white filter. They'd look rubbish. That was the impetus to go with fanart-based icons. Using pictures of film reels and plasma screens for menu options is just an anachronism nowadays, and a sure way of making your skin look like a naff relic. So while it was still a bit rubbish, the thing about the original icon theme was that the icons a) suited the theme, and b) were a bit unique.

The same goes for the Settings icons. Anything other than simple white glyphs on the buttons just isn't going to work. I see you're going with your own versions of those, though, which is how I would have done it. Depending on when you get this thing finished, there's always a chance I can give it a visual retouch for a mod or something. Would have to be after Christmas, though: I've just taken on a massive commission.

All the best.
I have to say even though it's less appealing, a private forum might be the only way to go. Even though the fact that users will be able to switch icons in the end product whenever they like has been stated multiple times it has not stopped peeps from posting about icons they like and don't. It's becoming ridiculous.

To the peeps posting all these requests, icons, ideas, etc. Please stop. We all have ideas, and believe me these guys are not lacking ideas either. Keep them to yourself for now and let's get this thing usable first before fighting on icons and other nonsense.

If feedback is needed, feedback will be asked.
my suggestion is cut off this thread and hitcher, CF and other skinners and be left to create alaska as this thread tbh has become a bit of a fanfair.

I love what DJH was trying to create here and i know hitcher and the others will do this proud if given the creative space they need. Smile

if you ever need a beta tester for Functionality not Aesthetics just drop me a pm.
This thread has been up for a dew days now and there's already 42 pages of what appears to be pointless blabber and personal opinion, with of course the exception of the people actually creating the skin... If you simply take on the opinion of everyone in this forum the skin will become a coding nightmare and will most likely be rushed and messy. It's also hard to follow the updates for this skin... As they're all posted in this thread along with the opinions and ideas of everyone out there, they get lost very quickly. I use to wait ever so eagerly for this skin when DJH had his thread open... Now i don't know what's going on.

It just seems like a mess.

But please don't take this the wrong way, i really do appreciate what you're doing hitch. Just some organization would be good.
logggio Wrote:...Now i don't know what's going on. It just seems like a mess...

Then follow it on Github. That's what I've been doing. I'm jazzed how well it's working on the AppleTV. Other than a couple of quirks like no shutdown, flashing/popping fanart in the movies section and some fast forward/reverse hiccups...it's running surprisingly well. Kudo's to all who are working on this and DJH for the original!

garyi Wrote:OK just fyi not compatible with the appletv, has caused some real weird shit. Including a pulsing black circle and no icons. Its actually quite hypnotic.

Works fine for me on my ATV. Make sure you have one of the later XBMC SVN's (should be part of the FAQ?) as the Launcher 3.1 install of 0.9.3 doesn't work too well. I'm using build OS X 22514 http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/inc/EVA.asp?mo...X&BN=22514, along with icons posted by esdubu, and it looks slick. to get the icons working I just replaced them in the respective folders in the media/mainmenu folder of Hitchers b453 build off of github. Like I said working great.
Hi tuck, yea I worked that out but sadly no stop button makes using it impossible anyway. Looks fantastic though.

I have a feeling the private forum has already begun, we are just talking amongst our selves now Wink
No private forum (I've not heard from spiff yet) it's all done via PM at the moment. I wont be posting any updates in here but as tuckbodi said you can follow it on Github just don't go thinking what goes in is anywhere near final as I'm just trying to update the 'Empty' files first.

Thanks.
Hitcher Wrote:No private forum (I've not heard from spiff yet) it's all done via PM at the moment. I wont be posting any updates in here but as tuckbodi said you can follow it on Github just don't go thinking what goes in is anywhere near final as I'm just trying to update the 'Empty' files first.

Thanks.

your doing a cracking job mate Smile
Hitcher Wrote:No private forum (I've not heard from spiff yet) it's all done via PM at the moment. I wont be posting any updates in here but as tuckbodi said you can follow it on Github just don't go thinking what goes in is anywhere near final as I'm just trying to update the 'Empty' files first.

Thanks.

Isn't the old Aeon Group still around? Why not use it in the mean time?
I'm pretty sure djh_ can invite any one you need.